Monday, October 14, 2013

The Texas State Fair

 On Thursday, the Slaughters took the Texas State Fair by storm!! We've only been doing the last 3 years and can I just say...I love the fair!!  I love everything about it!!  The rides, the food, the shows, ALL the people!

I picked the kiddos up from school early and Tab just worked half a day.  It was a little warm (every fall activity we've done so far has had HOT weather) but not packed at all.  The perfect day for the fair!!
 Our goal was to get there before 2:00.  The last dog show of the day is at 2:00 and my boy, Nix, LOVES dogs! ha!  We made it with time to spare and the dog show did not disappoint.
 Bowen had a BLAST!!  And...he was SO good all day!
 We hit up the petting zoo.
 Slaughter kids are usually scared of live animals...but not anymore??  They were ALL about petting some animals...kangaroos, goats, cows.  They didn't even care about what they were petting.
 I took this picture for Tab.  He was SO impressed with how big this turtle was.  He kept telling us to look at it.  

 Trying to get a peak at the big giraffe.
 Then...it was time for the pig races.  We weren't a big fan of that show.  Boring!
 These three crazy kiddos at the little farmer exhibit.

 This is the exhibit they pretend to be farmers by planting seeds, milking cows, driving a tractor, etc.  At the end, they get "paid" for their work and get to choose a snack from the store.

Sidenote:  Doesn't Bowen look HUGE in this picture??





 A sweet man told me about this puppet show going on so we rushed over and watched.  It was pretty cute!  During the show, the lady walked over to Nix (because we were on the front row) and asked him something.  He FROZE and had a look of horror on his face!!  So funny!!
 The scarecrow, tin-man, and lion made an appearance.  She was a little nervous about this picture.  :)

 Nixon decided he needed a picture too (with Daddy).


 This kid took a little cat nap in the stroller and was ready to party the rest of the night.
 They had time for one ride before we met M and G.
 After Marla got off work, G and M headed to meet us at the fair.  We met them by the new Big Tex.

 When they arrived, it was DINNER time!!  Yummy!!
I told my small group tonight and they all thought I was crazy, but I feel like I must share!!  I'm not a huge corn dog fan.  It's one of my least favorite foods.  I know a fair favorite is the Fletcher Corny Dog.  Nixon had one and loved it!!  But...I had the fried catfish from Catfish Floyd's and YUMMY!!  It was delicious!!  There's some kind of secret sauce they give you that is sent directly from heaven.  It's yummy!!  So...if you go to the fair and you're not feeling the famous corny dog...TRY the CATFISH!!  It won't disappoint!
 I caught her in the middle of a spin and LOVED her expression!!  ha ha!!
 M was a trooper and rode some rides with her.  Nixon went with G and Tab to ride the Ferris Wheel.



 We watched the water/light show (while eating a funnel cake!!!) and it was the perfect end to our day!!  

6 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

I was a little worried because the first half of the post, you didn't mention food one time...and you can't write a Fair post without food! But then you totally redeemed yourself with the second half...I might have to try that yummy catfish and heavenly sauce! (After my corny dog, of course!)

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

Loved all the pics, especially the last one! And Chris is so sad you didn't eat a corny...and take a picture to document the occasion. :)

Elaine~ Honey Pie Accessories said...

So much fun! Every year I want to go to the fair, and we never can because of DJ's work schedule. Why do fairs fall during football season? Sigh.... I loved the pictures of Ebby! Her face was priceless in the spin ride!

Liz/happymommy said...

Looks like such a fun family day! I just can't get over the cuteness that is your kiddos! Also, LOVE your outfit you had on for the fair!!

Slightly Askew Designs said...

Ummmmm.... I'm not sure if we can be friends after finding out you don't like corn dogs. I mean seriously?!?!! It's a hot dog wrapped in flippin' corn bread!!! :)

Narci said...

This post made me so hungry--I'd love some of that catfish! Yum!