Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tuesday's Top Three

With the start of the new year, many of us have set some new goals for ourselves.  I'll be honest,  for the last four years (since I've had kids), I've really struggled with my quiet time.  I had babies.  I was exhausted.  I needed any amount of sleep I could get. I definitely think there was a time that it was HARD for me to incorporate that into my day.  But then all three of my kiddos slept through the night, and I still wasn't doing it habitually.  I would do it for a while here and there, but it wasn't something that happened Every Single Day like it should.  

In September, I realized I was just being lazy and not making that a priority...when it really should be one of the most important things that occurs ALL day long!  So...I began setting my alarm every morning at least an hour before the kiddos wake.  That gave me enough time to WAKE up, read my devotional, read my bible, study scripture, pray, and then get to anything else that should be done BEFORE my kiddos are even up.  I just didn't have my priorities in order.  I was continually choosing sleep over spending time with God.  Now, it is SO easy to get up and I LOVE my quiet mornings!  Anyway....long story short I want to share some of my very favorite devotionals with you.  Maybe you're struggling with your quiet time or just in a rut and would like to try something new.  Here are a couple recommendations...

#1
I think I blogged this a while back.  I LOVE and ADORE Jen Hatmaker!  She's SO real and down-to-earth, but hilarious AND Godly at the same time!  I've read several of her bible studies and really enjoyed them.  My friend, Whitney, kept telling me I needed to read this and I'm SO glad I listened!!  I read it in the fall.  I'm taking a break and am planning on reading it again this year.  This devotional will have me laughing out loud at 6:05 in the morning!  You should check it out!!

#2
I received the Jesus Calling devotional a couple years ago for Christmas.  I think it's the perfect way to start my morning.  It isn't a hardcore-super deep study, but it makes you aware of His presence throughout your day.

#3
I JUST downloaded this Beth Moore devotional yesterday.  I'm not sure how long Amazon is having free Beth Moore downloads, but you should check it out here.  The reviews were GREAT!  This book is 365 days of short devotionals of "Believing God" not just believing in Him.  A book reminding me daily to live by faith??  I should probably keep reading!  haha!


If you have a great devotional, PLEASE PLEASE share with me!!!  I'd love to try something new.  Hope you'll give one of these a try!  Happy Tuesday!

Find me on Facebook here.
Check out my Pinterest boards here.
Follow me on Bloglovin here.
Follow me on Instagram.  I'm "slaughteren".

11 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

All 3 great books written by such Godly women! Love them!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

AWESOME POST friend! I need that Jen Hatmaker devotional NOW!

Jodi said...

I agree with waking up before the kids and what a great way to spend it!

Carroll said...

What great resources! I've started setting my alarm a little earlier, too, and it makes a huge difference. :)

Laura Day said...

I can totally relate... after 4 kids, I go through seasons where I have a consistent quiet time, but honestly I choose sleep more than I'd like to admit. It's time to make it a priority and stick with it!

Elaine Welte said...

I just downloaded all of the free books from Beth Moore this weekend! I have a lot of reading to do in order to get through them all!

Dawn said...

I NEED to get up early too! I need to check out the Out of the Spin Cycle devotional! I am so excited-I'm going to a women's conference that Jen Hatmaker is going to be the speaker this fall! :) Can't wait to learn from her!

Bethany Halpern said...

You should really check out Karen Kingsbury "baxter books" She is a Christian author and is just wonderful. There are several books in this series. You will love them. I did a little post about them if you are interested. Just give it a try!

http://beyondthecurls.com/books-books-books/XO

Bethany

Crystal McDonald said...

Love this post!!!! This is my resolution. I need more Jesus this year and less of me and the stresses of this world. A book that has taught me so much this year is Unglued by Lysa Terkeurst. AMAZING! It isn't a devotional, but I read a chapter at a time. Love her!

Erin said...

Confession: I did not get Jesus Calling after our chat the other day. But I did get Beth Moore's Believing God Devotional Journal. It has a passage to read and then asks questions for you to respond to. I just do better when I actually have to write something down. I also got her "Whispers of Hope" Prayer journal today at Mardel for $10. Same thing: passage, then a place to write prayers in a certain format. I'll let you know how it is.

Shelby said...

Seriously this post met me EXACTLY where I am at! I truly need to make the quiet time a priority too! I think it would make such a difference to my overall day. Thanks for sharing your heart & the devotionals. I have read most of Jesus Calling but want to start it over being more intentional & Jen Hatmaker!? I keep hearing about her! I will def be getting this devotional! Thanks again!!