Friday, February 21, 2014

My Story

Bahahahaha!!  This cracked me up!  Isn't this how we all feel???  Happy Friday!!

Today I'm taking a little break from my typical "5 on Friday" post.  Because over at Kelly's Korner, everyone's talking infertility.  I'm joining in, because I'm praying someone today feels encouraged by my story.

First of all if you are struggling with infertility right now, just know that if we were meeting face to face...I'd give you a big 'ole hug right now.  I completely mean that!  You can even cry on my shoulder!  The truth is I might even join you!

Here's my story....Tab and I had been married about two years when we decided we were ready to start "trying".  After about six months of that, with NOTHING happening I talked to my doctor just to make sure everything looked good.  My blood work came back showing that my hormone levels were a little "off", so she referred me to a reproductive endocrinologist.  (Sidenote:  It is EXTREMELY important for you to love your doctor.  If you are going to someone who isn't patient and caring with you...find a new doctor.  Believe me, I wish I would have done that from the start!!)  

(Ridiculous Sidenote:  This is the ONLY time Tab has had hair during our 9 year of marriage.)

We started with this reproductive endocrinologist at square one.  Lots of testing, lots of sonograms, lots and lots of appointments.  After a couple months, he decided we should try Clomid.  (I'm sure you've heard of it.  Probably the least hard-core fertility drug out there.  But...it produces lots of multiples.  I was certain I was going to get pregnant with at least triplets on this drug.  Didn't happen.)  Again, many sonograms and appointments later, nothing.  We continued the medicine for a couple months.  Then the doctor found a cyst the size of a grapefruit in one ovary.  Not what you want to hear!  Our options were to get on birth control for a couple months to see if it goes away or have a lapro-scopic surgery to remove the cyst.  Let's think about this....you're giving a highly hormonal girl two options one involving BIRTH CONTROL when she's doing everything in the world she can do to get pregnant??  Easy choice for us!  So...I had a surgery and then we had to give my body a couple months rest.  After the rest, I did shots in my stomach to help produce as many follicles as possible in hopes that this would be our miracle drug!  The miracle drug didn't work.

Needless to say, it was a HARD HARD time for us. It seemed like one thing after the other kept preventing the medicine from working...maybe my body produced too many follicles so the doctor didn't think it was safe to proceed that month or maybe my husband was traveling THE DAY something HAD to happen.  Something was always going wrong.  In the middle of all that, it was so hard for me to remember that God was in control.  All along He had the perfect timing set up for when we were going to get pregnant.  It didn't matter how much money we spent on medicine or how many appointments I went to...God was in control.  


After doing the shots for a month, I had to take the next month off just to give my body time to recover.  So...on my next "on" month, I began using the ovulation tests you can buy over-the-counter just to see when I would be ovulating.  We were planning our first IUI and the doctor had me scheduled to come in on Saturday morning, August 2nd, 2008, for the procedure.  On Friday, August 1st, I woke up and took an ovulation test only to find it was actually positive!!  Which meant in the next twelve hours, I would be ovulating.  I immediately called my doctor (remember I should have switched) and explained.  The nurse politely told me it was no big deal and we'd take care of it at the appointment tomorrow.  I was FRANTIC!!!  After two more calls BEGGING to come in and one call by my hubby, we finally were told to, "have sex just in case".  

Saturday, August 2nd, bright and early we headed to our appointment for our very first IUI.  (I should also add that it just happened to be my birthday!)  The doctor did a sonogram to make sure everything looked good and that's when he saw that I'd already ovulated.  Another failed month down in the record books!


Or so we thought...two weeks later I took a pregnancy test just to be sure and I saw the most beautiful words ever, "Pregnant".  We were finally pregnant and all in His time.  Apparently two years of "trying" was His perfect timing.  :)

I learned SO SO much throughout that time in my life.  I learned to lean on God more than ever.  I learned how to pray without ceasing.  I prayed and prayed and prayed for a baby.  I learned that sometimes you go through trials, because then in the end God makes it even more sweeter. 

On April 9, 2009, we received the biggest blessing...Miss Ebby Lee made her debut into the world.  She made us parents for the very first time.  And then on April 12, 2010 (you do the math),  our handsome Nixon-Man quickly made us parents of two.  In 2012, we added another little man, Bowen, to our family.  


During this time, I also gained one of the closest friendships I have to this day.  Shay and I met through our friend, Whitney.  She introduced us because she knew were both dealing with infertility.  We leaned on each other, encouraged each other, and prayed for each other.  One day she sent me the verse, "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." 2 Corinthians 4:17. It was my motto!!  haha!  Our sorrow seemed to seal the deal on our friendship and I'm so thankful!  I love that girl (and her kiddos) and can't imagine our lives without them in it!

I also read the book, Hannah's Hope, by Jennifer Saake.  That book REALLY helped me!  If you are dealing with infertility or you know someone who is, get them this book ASAP!

Just for the record, if I had to do it all over again...I wouldn't change a thing.  God knew what he was doing.  :)  

If you're dealing with infertility, please e-mail me your name (alittlebitofeverything83@yahoo.com) or leave me a comment, I would LOVE to be praying for you.  Just remember God is in control and His timing is perfect.

If you've made it this far...thanks for reading!!  ;)  Have a GREAT weekend!!

Find me on Facebook here.
Check out my Pinterest boards here.
Follow me on Bloglovin here.
Follow me on Instagram.  I'm "slaughteren".


22 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

And now, I'm crying. I'm so glad you posted this!! What a blessing and a miracle our yucky situations turned into. Love you so much Erika! And I love those 3 precious kids of yours too!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

I'm crying too! Beautifully written!!!! This will encourage so many people!!!! Love you friend!

Narci said...

Xoxo! This is beautiful, Ericka!!!! Love you!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for sharing your story. You have been blessed with a beautiful family!! I am popping over from Kelly's Korner, I too dealt with infertility and am so grateful to have two children of my own. :)

www.blawndesblawg.blogspot.com

Tienna said...

What absolutely beautiful babies!! And a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing!

Jillian Collura said...

Thank you so much for sharing your story! My husband and I have been struggling with infertility now for 18 months. We would LOVE your prayers.

V @ X-tremely V said...

I am so happy things worked out for you and Shay! Thanks for sharing your story Erika. And I agree, God is 100% in control :)

Slightly Askew Designs said...

Loved reading this! Not sure if I ever really knew your entire story. I do remember you buying that FABULOUS diaper bag for your "future" baby though :) and I'll never ever ever forget when you told us about Nixon! hahaha
So glad you decided to share!!! :)

Liz/happymommy said...

This was a beautiful story with the MOST happy ending, thanks so much for sharing! I truly enjoyed reading a little bit more about your life and how you leaned on God and put your trust in the fact that He was in control.....such a blessing!!!

Caroline said...

Thanks for sharing your story!!! Your kids are precious!!

Elaine Welte said...

What a blessing those three little babies are! It hurts my heart to know that people have to deal with infertility!

Kelli said...

Thank you for sharing this, Erika! Sometimes I worry that when my husband and I start to try, we'll experience this...maybe because I'm already 31, but I also need to remember that God is control and has a perfect plan! I'm so happy that you had this happy ending!

tpatters5 said...

i just found your blog and I truly appreciate your willingness to share your story. I think a lot of people will find encouragment in your story. I am forever grateful that God blessed me with two children

AmyJo said...

Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you've helped ease someone's heart today and reminded them to have faith in God.

Happy Endings said...

From one woman who is struggling from infertility to a woman who shared her story...thank you! We just got pregnant last month from fertility medication. However, our sweet baby passed and we miscarried. That verse rings true to me. I too have a fertility friend, and what a blessing my best fertility friend is! Love this post! God is good, and oue timing isn't always God's timing. :)

Poohy81 said...

Thank you for sharing your story. My husband and I were married on 12/13/03. In Oct. of 2009, we decided we were ready to try for a baby. A year passed with nothing. After going to a Reproductive Endocrinologist and a urologist (for the hubby), we found out our issue was male factor. Hubby had a bilateral varicocele repair in 12/2010. By Feb, we were expecting our miracle. Hudson was born 11/7/11. Fast forward to Feb. 2013. . .we began hoping for baby #2. A year later. . .still nothing. We did a failed IUI in Jan, and in March we are going to begin the IVF process. The surgery my husband had in 2010 corrected a few components, but the motility is still awful. So, it looks as though IVF is what we will have to do. Hudson is definitely a miracle gift from God. Please pray for us.

Sharon Simmers said...

Erika, I had no idea! I'm so glad you shared, though, because I'm sure your post will touch at least one person and help them keep their faith in God! I do remember the time frame of when Nixon was conceived and how surprised and excited your momma was!!!

Love you!

Jen Pogue said...

What a beautiful story, Erika. It's amazing to see how God had it all planned out. I love how you said you wouldn't change a thing, even though it was so hard. Thank for sharing!

Bethany said...

You are such an adorable family! And what a beautiful story!!! Stopping by from Kelly's Korner- I'm sure your story will give hope to many, and it definitely honors God and His perfect timing! =)

Unknown said...

Infertility is the hardest thing to deal with. I had a baby when I was 19, I got remarried when my son was 6... We started trying right away since there was already a large gap. We tried for 4 years, did iui a few times ran all the tests and nothing was wrong! In the mean time my between my sister and sister in laws 5 babies were born. One sister in law wasn't married and didn't even know who the dad was, I did not understand why she could get pregnant and I couldn't. I was doing everything right or so I felt! It was so frustrating. I finally had to "give up" and that's when it happened, when I out my faith in God. Our little miracle was born 2 days before my older sons 10th birthday! They are the best of friends even though they are so far apart in age. Now we're expecting again in august, the two littles will be 21 months apart. So glad you shared, it's definitely one of the most challenging things I have ever gone through. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there.

Katelyn Magerko said...

Loved this post, as I found it through Shay's post from today. Im 28 and have been married for 6 months but both my husband and I knew we wanted to try asap, which we did. We've been married for 6 months and no such luck yet. As you stated you started talking to your Dr after 6 months. I dont think I want to go down that road until maybe a year but Ive def heard from multiple friends to try the ovulation kits which I think I might try. Right now Im only using an app to see "when" and have let the rest just happen if meant to happen. Thanks so much for the story as it helps those who are trying not feel so abnormal. God bless!

bnpeeples said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It's so encouraging to see other women open up about their struggles with fertility and not feel so alone or damaged. I struggle with infertility and was blessed with my son after two rounds of clomid. He's almost 11 months now and we have been trying for 3.5 months for #2 with no luck yet. I know it's all apart of His plan and trying my best to just let go and let Him do His work. Reading this today has definitely lifted my spirits and gave me some hope. Thanks again.