Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Top Three

BIRTHDAY WEEK is in full swing at the Slaughter House, but I thought I'd take a little break from cupcakes and candles to discuss what we're doing to teach our kiddos the meaning of Easter.  

We talk about Jesus in our house all year long, but during this time of year we always try to emphasize what Easter is all about and what it means.  It's a tough thing to grasp when you're little (and even when you're big!)!  Here are the Top Three things we are doing to help our kiddos understand why we celebrate Easter....


If you're on Pinterest, then I'm certain you've seen these.  They're called "Resurrection Rolls".  Last year I had ALL the supplies and was SO excited about doing this with my kiddos.  At the last minute, I just didn't think they'd "get" it so we skipped.  This year...I can't wait to make these with my kiddos.  The idea is you put a marshmallow inside crescent rolls.  When you bite into the roll, the marshmallow is gone. (The tomb is empty.)  I'm sure it will spark lots of conversations!!


Last year in preschool, Ebby Lee's class each brought home a set of Resurrection Eggs.  I'm so thankful her teachers took time to make every kiddo a set of these eggs.  The eggs are numbered and inside each egg is a small item and a verse that goes along with the item.  For instance, there might be a thorn in one egg representing the crown that was placed on Jesus' head with the verse John 19:17.  Usually we hide these in a room and let each kiddo find six eggs, then we open them and discuss what that object means along with the verse.  My kids LOVE this!! And I LOVE it because they've learned a LOT from these eggs!


My kiddos LOVED this activity!!!  I came across it on Pinterest (of course!).  
Read Matthew 27: 57-61.  Then take turns wrapping each kiddo in toilet paper and have them try to break loose.  Then discuss with your kiddos how Jesus' followers must have felt when they realized Jesus was gone.  Jesus conquering death is a tough concept for kids, but this is a super fun activity that gets them thinking about it and asking questions!!!  

Thought I'd share this too...This is our very favorite Bible, The Jesus Storybook Bible.  The stories are the perfect length for my kiddos.  If you don't have this version, it'd be a GREAT thing to put in your kiddo's Easter basket!!

I hope you found an idea or two you can use in your home this Easter.  If you have any other great ideas, PLEASE please leave me a comment and let us all know!!  I'd love to incorporate some other things into this Easter season.  

Happy Tuesday!!

Find me on Facebook here.
Check out my Pinterest boards here.
Follow me on Bloglovin here.
Follow me on Instagram.  I'm "slaughteren".


Melissa Kelly said...

We have that bible and it is Hudson's favorite. I really like the illustrations and the story length is just right for him.

April Parrish said...

Love this! Jesus is so important and it's awesome that you've started early with your little ones!
Great ideas you shared today to try with my girls!

Dawn said...

Great ideas! Thanks! I'm always looking for good ways to teach my son about Jesus! :) Will be doing some of these! :)

Elaine Welte said...

Love these ideas! We've done the resurrection rolls (last year I think) Just make sure your crescents are sealed really good! The marshmallows leaked out a bit. Whoops! And the girls love their resurrection eggs, we've been doing them with Gretchen since she was 3- it's never too early!

Rachel said...

I really like the resurrection roll idea!
I have been planning to do a post on resurrection eggs too :) Such a great teaching tool!