Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Come on in...Home Organization

Today is the day (I hope lots of you) we're linking up with Andrea to share our best home organization ideas.  I'm hoping to learn a TON by reading your posts!!  I've been brainstorming about things I do to help me stay more organized.  To be honest, I wanted to put one picture.  A picture of this...


And call it a day!  haha!  Seriously...this past summer I splurged on an Erin Condren planner.  I absolutely LOVE mine!  I don't think you have to have this EXACT one to be organized.  Just any planner will do the job, but the fact that my cute family is on the front and the back HAS to help, right?  haha!


In the planner, it shows a month-by-month look.  On the month-by-month look..I use that as my blog calendar.  I keep track of what I blogged, what I'm going to blog, what types of posts were "hits", and what posts were "duds".  haha!  #keepinitreal


The planner also has a week-by-week section.  That has a column for each day.  This is where I write down things like, "Tennis from 3:30-4:30, Bible Study, Take a meal to a family" and all that kind of stuff.  At the bottom of each day, I write what we're having for dinner.  I menu plan while I'm looking at the day-to-day calendar.  I can see that when we have an event at school at 6:00 I need to make something super easy or have leftovers for us to eat.

See why I wanted to put a picture of my planner and call it a day?  haha!

I know they're ALL over Pinterest, but our home that was built in 1992 does not have a cute little mudroom with a hanging hook for each kiddo.  Oh, how I wish it did!!  We do have a cute little closet under our stairs that has become our "mudroom".  Each kiddo has a basket of shoes.  They also have a couple hooks for their backpack, jacket, and umbrella.  This is also where I store the swim bag because it's so easy to grab right as we're heading out the door!  I don't know about your house, but as soon as we get home from doing ANYTHING there tends to be 3 pairs of shoes spread all over the floor.  This little area has REALLY helped those kinds of messes!


I realize this picture kind of looks like a HOT MESS!!  hahaha!!  But there is a method behind the madness!!  Each kiddo has shoes in those orange baskets.  (Looks like E's boots are in Bowen's basket.)  In the back of the closet, we have seasonal things...soccer ball, water gun, pool toys, etc.  The basket in the bottom left corner is usually on the stairs.  It houses things that need to be taken up the stairs.  This little spot (as crazy as it sounds) keeps us organized by having everything we need right before we walk out the door in one spot.

Okay...that's all I've got!!  I need someone to blog about how to organize a junk drawer.  Seriously...I'm afraid one of my kiddos might fall in and never return!!  haha!

Looking forward to some GREAT ideas!!

12 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

I get happy thoughts every time I use my Erin Condren planner too! It seriously makes my heart skip a beat!!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

You little closet mudroom is really pretty genius. High five friend. :)

kimm atwood said...

I consider my EC planner one of the best investments I've ever made!!!!

Wendy said...

I use a nice wood utensil holder (not the type that has the cut out shape of spoons) that is expandable for organizing my junk drawers. That way all like items can be in the same section. I have two holders per drawer (my drawers are wide). It works great for me.

Jersey Love said...

Love LOVE my EC Planner. SO happy I splurged on it this summer as well. What a life saver - especially for wedding planning. I blogged about mine too! I love your mudroom closet & share your need for junk drawer organization. Mine is scary!
~Tiffany

Jessica White said...

I got my first Erin Condren planner this summer...and I LOVE it!!

Anonymous said...

Love the look of that planner! And your mudroom under your staircase is a brilliant spot as a launching pad (as flylady calls it!)

Brianna said...

I love that you utilize that closet for shoes and seasonal items - genius for sure! And I used an EC planner last year, but I soon realized that my life was too boring for a planner of that magnitude *sigh*. Talk about life shattering. But they're so amazing, and when I (hopefully) have a little family of my own one day, they'll be gracing the front of a brand spankin' new EC planner! :)

Brianna
xobriannaleigh.com

Rachel - Floral and Fudge said...

What a perfect space for keeping shoes and bags!!
I blogged a couple tips for organization, too--but nothing about junk drawers ;)

Anonymous said...

Miss seeing what you wore!

The Stantons said...

I love and must have the planner! I notice you can get a $10 credit if you refer a friend. Refer me so you can enjoy it. Heather Stanton. Heatherstanton1212@hotmail.com

Steph @ The Kat Almanac said...

I splurged on the EZc planner this year too! Takes my OCD list making to a whole new level.