Thursday, November 13, 2014

Green Bean Casserole on Steroids

First of all, I must say that I am by NO means a serious cook OR a food photographer.  Please keep those thoughts in mind.  :)  I enjoy cooking, but I'm one of those people whose food never looks super appealing.  haha!  It always tastes good, but looks are definitely deceiving!!

Since Thanksgiving is only two weeks away, I thought I'd post a Hency Family Side Dish Recipe.  How crazy is it that just smelling this cooking in the oven takes me back to any holiday as a child!!  I know you probably have all had some kind of "Green Bean Casserole".  This is a "Green Bean Casserole" on steroids.  Our family recipe is called, "Green Bean Supreme".'s delish!  Way better than the original.  Trust me!  You should try it this year!!

Green Bean Supreme:
This is what you need...*3 cans of seasoned green beans (they must be the "Seasoned" kind...that's what brings the party to these green beans.)
*1 can sliced water chestnuts
*1 can cream of mushroom soup
*French's fried onions
*shredded cheddar cheese
*salt and pepper

This makes a 9 X 13 dish, but if I was making this for a group of people, I'd definitely double the recipe.

Check out the cute artwork hanging on my refrigerator.  Bowen is SO proud of his school bus.  He'll point to each friend and name each one.  The cutest thing ever!

On to the cooking...dump all three cans of green beans in a pot, add salt and pepper, and cook on medium for twenty minutes.

The majority of the liquid will be gone.  Then add the cream of mushroom soup and the water chestnuts.  (Most of the ladies in my family would slice the water chestnuts even smaller.  I didn't have time for that, but I would if I had time.)  Mix it all together.

Dump it in a 9 X 13 and sprinkle with some cheddar cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for about thirty minutes covered.  Then uncover, sprinkle fried onions on top, and bake for another ten minutes.

This is what it looks like after the Slaughter five get a hold of it.  hahahaha!!  

Normally, I only eat this at holidays, but since I was showing you guys I served the casserole with some meatballs and salad and called it a day.

You have to let me know if you give it a try!!  It's SO yummy!!


Mix and Match Mama said...

That looks delicious! I love that you put Cheddar on there!! And Bowen's bus...that is just so precious!!

brantlee said...

I've never been a fan of green bean casserole but with the water chestnuts and cheese this sounds delicious! Definitely writing this one down. Thanks Erika!

Andrea Munding said...

Yum! I can't wait to make this! I better make it tonight for practice before thanksgiving ;)

Erika Slaughter said...

Cheddar makes everything better right? :)

Erika Slaughter said...

You're so welcome!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Hahaha!!! Sorry, I didn't give you a lot of notice. Let me know what you think!

Narci said...

This looks delicious, girl!! Yum!!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

I LOVE water chestnuts! And your title cracked me up!

kimm atwood said...

My mom has been making her green bean casserole with water chestnuts for years..,my hubby thinks its crazy...I think it's fabulous

Erika Slaughter said...

Your mom and I are soul sisters!!

Karen Ward said...

Water chestnuts! {{{shudder}}} I will leave those out!

Anonymous said...

did you drain the liquid from the green beans and then added fresh water?

Erika Slaughter said...

No, I didn't drain the green beans when I cooked them. I let most of the liquid cook out before I mixed in the other ingredients. :)

Elaine said...

I'd totally leave out the water chestnuts too, but I LOVE me some green bean casserole!!!

Olivia said...

Yumola! Water chestnuts...interesting. I bet some cooked, crumbly bacon would be good too instead of the chestnuts (hubby doesn't like em...I do). Thanks...I'll try this. Bowen's bus...that's a great idea. I kind of want one for B. :)

Anonymous said...

Love your sweet blog and reading your fun posts!

Jan Fisher