Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Show and Tell

It's Show-and-Tell day over here on the blog!  Andrea has been hosting these show-and-tell days and I've missed them all so far.  Not today!  Today we're all sharing how we met our spouse and our engagement story!

How We Met:
Arkansas State University

Tab and I both attended Arkansas State University and to be honest we met through his friend (who I was kind of casually dating at the time).  After dinner we stopped by Tab's apartment, and the mutual friend introduced us.  Definitely not the right time for both of us, but flash forward about two more years.  

 (These were the apartments.)

Tab and I both lived in our on-campus apartments during the summer of 2004.  Some girlfriends and I were at the pool and Tab and his friend walked by the pool (coincidence?  I don't think so!  hahahaha!).  We chatted a bit and when they walked off my roommates and I discussed inviting them over for dinner.  I promise I was doing it to get to know them a little better and have fun.  This is the part of the story where Tab tells everyone I called and asked him out!  hahaha!  So...since he isn't here you'll have to take my word for it.  :)  In the summer the majority of people leave, so the apartments were pretty bare.  I promise I was doing it for fun and to get to know some new people!  hahaha!  Long story short, I called him and invited he and his friend over to our apartment for dinner.  His friend had plans, but Tab came solo.  I make a mean taco, so one bite and he was in love.  Totally kidding!  We had a great night!  We started texting and talking right after and he asked me out on a REAL date right away.

Our engagement picture

Engagement Story:
February 2005, Tab was living and working in Dallas, Texas.  It's my senior year of college, so we were experiencing the long distance thing.  We tried our best to see each other twice a month.  I'd go to him and then he'd come up to visit.  The weekend before Valentine's Day Tab had planned to come up to Jonesboro, Arkansas, (where I was in college) but he told me that his boss had planned something last minute.  He wasn't going to be able to make it.  I was bummed, mad, and so sad.  But...my roomie, Erin, said she'd talked to her dad earlier in the week and he wanted to treat us to a nice dinner.  That sounded EXACTLY like her dad. Erin's dad told us to go to Memphis (about an hour away) and enjoy a nice dinner on his dime.  I totally bought this whole story!  Erin made us reservations at the restaurant inside the Peabody hotel (the hotel where the ducks walk around).  

The Peabody-Memphis, TN

We got dressed up and made our way to Memphis.  She told me we were there a little early, so we rode the elevator to the roof to check out the view.  The elevator landed on the top floor.  We stepped off the elevator and guess who was waiting there....TAB SLAUGHTER!  He quickly got down on one knee and proposed!!  I was so surprised!!  Afterwards a few other friends surprised us and then we had a fancy dinner to celebrate!  It was the perfect proposal!  I have the pictures (Erin started snapping away) somewhere but I have NO clue where they are.  Bummer!!!

Instead of an engagement picture, this is one of the oldest pictures on my blog from Valentine's Day 2007.  

I don't think it was an accident that Tab Slaughter walked by the pool that day (with a group of girls in bikinis I'm 99% sure it wasn't an accident...hahahaha!), but I'm so glad he did.  :)  I love doing life with this man!

19 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

Hahaha! I love this story! It was no accident...it was God intervening via some bikini girls :).

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

Cute Story! I bet your friend was so excited to be a part of the engagement trickery!!! So much fun!

Narci said...

so cute!! I love it--I am sure it was not mistake at all!! ;)

Anonymous said...

You are so cute! Fun story :)

melissabunny100 said...

SO Cute!

Megan said...

Love this story! Yall are so cute together! love the pics! Our love story started in Jonesboro also except in the mall!! ;)

kimm atwood said...

What a great story !!!!!

V @ X-tremely V said...

Love this story! I totally asked out Mic for our first date! Sometimes when you know, you know and you just have to go for it :)

Meagan Ruse said...

What a sweet story! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I was hoping to see your wedding pictures! I am sure you were a gorgeous bride. :)

Sarah E @ theteacherswife.com said...

The Peabody is so nice...such a great place for a proposal!! So fun! :-)

Whitney @ Work it Mommy said...

We have family that lives in Arkansas but they're Hogs lol. What a sweet proposal!
Whitney

Amy said...

What a fun story! Love the proposal surprise. :)

Jenny Morgan said...

Love this story---y'all are so cute together! :)

Rachel - Floral and Fudge said...

Your Memphis engagement story is very sweet!!

Queen In Between said...

Such a great story!

Alayna said...

My husband went to asu and I went to Fayetteville. What a fun surprise proposal!

Valerie Cox said...

Love the Peabody! Such a sweet story, Erika!

Paula said...

Precious story!