Monday, March 16, 2015

Making It Count Monday


Today I'm sharing a new series called, "Making it Count, Monday".  When I think about my role as a mom and how much I want to teach my kiddos, I can get a little overwhelmed.  Can't you?  We have to teach them manners, what words mean, how to treat other people, and on and on and that's only 1% of my entire list!  I hear other moms with older kids say all the time, "Enjoy it because it goes by so quickly".  I'm really trying to make my moments count.  Don't get me wrong...we watch our fair share of movies around here and the kids have plenty of solo playing time.  I'm not a pro at this.  Trust me!!  But sometimes I hear another mom tell about something they do at home and it's like, "AHA!  Why have I not been doing that?"  I'm just talking about a few minutes each day or week or month that we're intentionally doing something together.  This series is all about how we as moms make these moments count!

A few months ago, Shay blogged about this book, In This House We Will Giggle, by Courtney DeFeo.  I'm in the middle of reading it now and I'm absolutely loving it.  It's broken into twelve sections and each section has a virtue (joy, love, generosity) with lots of examples about how to discuss these with your kiddos and some fun activities.  

Yes, I know what "joy" means.  I could tell you about it, but have I had a conversation about "joy" with my kids?  No!  Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't?  The kiddos and I have been talking about joy over the last week and discussing what it looks like to have "joy" even when you're having a bad day.  Now when someone doesn't want to share or is being ugly to a sibling, I hear, "Mom, ----- doesn't have joy in their heart."  hahaha!  At least I know they were listening, right?  :)

I guess I'm cheating a little bit this week, because my "Making it Count" suggestion this week would be to go buy this book and do some activities with your kiddos.  

I'll be featuring more of my moments throughout the year and I'd love to feature some other bloggers and your moments!!  I'm talking about games, crafts, lessons, or anything else you and your family does to be intentional with your moments together.  If you have a "Making it Count" idea you'd like to share, please e-mail me at
alittlebitofeverything83@yahoo.com

Have a JOYful day!!!  

15 comments:

Melissa Kelly said...

So glad you are doing this and I can't wait to hear more about it.

Mix and Match Mama said...

I loved that book so much! You are exactly right, this is such a special season in our life right now...we need to make it count!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

What a great idea for a series!!!! Love this Erika!

Narci said...

So sweet! I need to read that book! It sounds amazing!!

kimm atwood said...

Love this!!!! As a mom with two grown kids I can never stress enough to make each moment count and treasure every second!!!!

Megan Steele said...

Love this idea! Though I don't have kids of my own yet, I would love to read this and get some ideas for my students! Thanks for sharing!

ClintandGina said...

I love this idea. I will be checking in to read them. I've got to head to Barnes & Noble and get that book!

Queen In Between said...

I need to add this one to my list!

live compassionately said...

I love this! I don't have kids yet, but I am excited to see all the suggestions to get ideas for the future! :)

Olivia said...

That's a great series! One of my goals this month was to be intentional in playing with B. Even if it's just half an hour, he remembers THAT time as how we spent "the day." Right now we're soaking up relaxed mornings...sometimes I think we feel more important if we're busy, but I think it's quite the opposite. I'm going to have more mornings of busy ahead of me than these moments. Can't wait to see some "making it count" moments. :)

Tanya said...

Really want to read that book! I constantly have to make an effort to LIGHTEN up. :) Thanks for starting this new series. It sounds like a great idea, and I can't wait to see your posts.

Whitney @ Work it Mommy said...

What a fabulous series! Cant wait to read more (and possibly come up with my own to share with you! Haha)
Whitney

Hilary Jose said...

Amen to this series :) I read that book last fall and it was fabulous, one I am sure I'll reference back to for years to come!

Courtney DeFeo said...

Thank you so much for sharing my book! I'm so thrilled your enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Looking forward to this series 😃