Thursday, April 16, 2015

Nixon's Big Day

On Saturday, the entire day was all about Nixon.  We started the day off right with a big breakfast made by these two, my grandparents.  Nixon is a big fan of biscuits and gravy, so this was right up his alley.


Then he got to open presents.  Probably his favorite part of the day. :)


I mean...he doesn't look THAT into it, does he?


I had asked Nixon a while back what kind of birthday party he wanted.  He told me that he just wanted to go to the zoo with his family instead.  And...his wish was granted.  We all loaded up and went to the Ft. Worth Zoo for the day.


Our crazy crew ready to hit the zoo!

Those poor rhinos.  I felt bad for them because of all the flies on their back!!

This boy is all about T-Nonnie when she's in town.  I got a little break from Bowen duties while she was here.




Our favorite part...the elephants!!






The Ft. Worth Zoo has a really cool play area.  There is a tunnel covered with rope that leads from one side of the play area to the other.  All the kiddos went through.  This is Bowen, but Nixon was shaking when he did it.  He gets his fear of heights from his mama!  EEK!


Sometimes...this is the best you can get, right?  hahaha!


This train is my very favorite part about this zoo.  You walk to the back of the zoo and then ride the train to the front.  I feel like it reduces my amount of zoo walking. :)

We ended the trip with cheeseburgers and fries per Nixon's request.  And it was DELISH!!


The night closed successfully with chocolate cupcakes for all and, "Happy Birthday", to this guy.

The next day (his actual birthday) he awoke to a basketball goal and a new basketball.  (Which has already gone missing!!  BOO!)


Sunday morning BEFORE 7:00 a.m. we were the annoying neighbors playing basketball in the driveway!!


We had such a fun day celebrating Nixon!!  Thank you so much to family who made his day so special AND for all the sweet text messages and phone calls wishing him the best day!  XOXO

19 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

That was the perfect birthday for sweet Nixon! In fact, it was pretty much the perfect birthday for anyone. In October, I'd like your grandparents to come to my house and make breakfast, then you and I can go to the zoo together :). That sounds really nice!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

Awww! Happy Birthday Nix! How in the world is he 5?

Narci said...

So fun! Happy Birthday to that sweet boy! And, those biscuits and gravy look delicious!! ❤️

Elaine Welte said...

Looks like he had the best day!!!

Slightly Askew Designs said...

Love his face when he saw the goal! And how special that your grandparents made breakfast! Also.... Nixon Slaughter can NOT be 5!!! That is waaaaaay too big :)

Queen In Between said...

I thought when I saw your IG pick on the alligator it was the Ft Worth zoo...love that zoo! What a special birthday and your grandparents are adorable!

Candice Ibarra said...

That is so sweet your grandparents were there! Happy birthday Nixon!

Katie Benedict said...

So sweet that he wanted to go to the zoo with his fam instead of having a party! And so easy for you, yay Nixon! I spy Ebby Lee carrying an American Girl doll :)

Corner of Sass and Snark said...

I love that he chose a day at the zoo with his family. How sweet!

Melanie
cornerofsass.blogspot.com

Grace said...

Holy cow it is birthday town with y'all! Mason, Ebby Lee, Griffin, Nixon, Luke, Andrew. I'm loving reading about all these birthdays!!

Angela Ellingson said...

What a great day!!! Nixon is such a cutie!

Find Handmade said...

Gorgeous - Looks like you all had such a super fun time - what a great birthday!

Andrea Munding said...

Your grandparents are adorable! What a special birthday.

Andrea (127things) said...

I love, love, love all of the special family time that was involved with this birthday! I am posting a new post tomorrow on how our children will remember the TIME we spend with them, not WHAT we spend on them- and this is a perfect example of that! xoxo

Maggie C. said...

I love that your mom, grandma, & Ebby Lee are all wearing matching denim jackets to the zoo. I'm curious, how did you guys come up with "T-Nonnie" for your mom? I've never heard anything like it. And also, I LOL'd at the "basketball goal", also known as a basketball hoop ;) Have a great weekend!

Erika Slaughter said...

Hahahahaha!!! Do you live in the north? Either it's a southern reference or its my lack of basketball knowledge coming out. :) I've never heard of it referred to as a basketball hoop. About T-Nonnie, my mom looked up alternative grandma names and found that. Her name is Tina and we thought it was a ridiculous name. We laughed and laughed. And then it stuck. Now I can't imagine her as anything else. :)

Anonymous said...

Can you give us the details on your crossbody bag you have at the zoo? Please! I've been searching for one just like it. :-)

Erika Slaughter said...

My crossbody bag is a couple years old, but I got it at Nordstrom. It's the same brand as this one. Super affordable! http://rstyle.me/n/zktemztt6

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and for providing the link!