Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Top Three

Happy Tuesday, Girls!!  Isn't it crazy how a song can bring back so many memories?  I heard a song on the radio and it instantly took me straight back to high school-senior year!  Then I was all caught up in the memories!!  This post is just silly and fun!

I graduated high school in 2001.  The year where a gallon of gas cost $1.46 (holla), Wikipedia went "live" online, Napster closed down (do you guys remember that?), and Ocean's Eleven (the original) was playing in theaters.

I'd thought it'd be fun today to throw-it-back a little.

Top 10 Songs in 2001:
*Hanging by a Moment-Lifehouse
*Fallin'-Alicia Keys
*All for You-Janet Jackson (I think during this era she went by simply, "Janet")
*Drops of Jupiter-Train
*I'm Real-Jennifer Lopez
*If You're Gone-Matchbox Twenty
*Let Me Blow Ya Mind-Eve
*Thank You-Dido
*Again-Lenny Kravitz
*Independent Woman-Destiny's Child


2001 Erika's version of my Top Three:
1.  Country Grammar-Nelly (edited version) You guys remember I confessed to being a closet-Nelly fan??
2.  Jumpin' Jumpin'-Destiny's Child
3. I'm Real-Jennifer Lopez (again, edited version of course)

Do you guys remember those??

I remember on my sixteenth birthday my mom took me for my driver's test.  After passing, I drove myself to pick up two girlfriends.  Be jealous this is what we were cruising around in...
Super cool in 1986, not so much in 2001.  hahahahaha!!  I remember sliding Christina Aguilera's,Genie in a Bottle, cassette tape in!  After picking up one friend, we "cruised town" (I'm not even kidding and keep in mind it's approximately 1:30 in the afternoon AND my town had approximately 92 people residing in it.  It wasn't really "happening" at 1:30.) and in the middle of town my car died.  hahahaha!  One of the guys in our class happened to drive by and he helped us push it off the road.  We ended up running over his foot.  It was a horrible turn of events.  Trust me!  We had to have girlfriend #3 come pick us all up.  Bummer!  The story ended well with a surprise party at my house later that day.  I was so surprised and had no clue!!

Back to the music, so envision me in that Trans Am cruising town with the music blaring!!  hahahaha!!  Now that I shared my senior-year faves, it's your turn!  I want to hear what your jam was in high school!!  Please share with us!!

35 comments:

Narci said...

Listen, I still think you win best first car by a long shot! That Trans Am is so fun! Also, I can't believe it died on your first drive around town! Haha!! So funny!

Mix and Match Mama said...

I feel the sudden urge now to download that Janet album on iTunes. I loved that album! And I would love to read a blog post by the guy whose foot you ran over :). I bet his post would be funny too!

Full Time Wife Life said...

So funny! And as for my high school jam? I held onto Hanson, as in the Hanson Brothers, WAY longer than I'd like to admit.

The Lindquist Family said...

I graduated HS in 2006 & some songs I remember most are Gold Digger, My Humps & Jesus, Take the Wheel. Man oh man those songs bring me back! I drove a 1998 Mercury Sable in HS & I definitely thought I was so cool driving around by myself with the windows down listening to my music in that Mercury Sable! haha. Thanks for bringing me back to my HS days today!

kimm atwood said...

Anything Bon jovi...all day everyday in high school and even today! What a fun post!!!

Jersey Love said...

Haha - I graduated in 2000 so this is close to me too - I loved that Nelly album! I especially loved blasting it out the windows of my 1959 Austin A40! Haha

Amanda Bullard said...

Oh my gahhh! 2001 I was in college. High school was Pearl Jam all the time....Rage Against The Machine....and on a rare occassion we'd turn it to country (how does that even fit?)...my BF Amber had a 1988 Camaro we cruised in, it was a hunk of crap. I had a 92 Saturn LOL fun mems. We hung out in parking lots bahahahha. Fun times. I may smile all day as I work with my high school seniors and listen to their stories of "fun times" now.

live compassionately said...

I graduated in 2001 too so all those songs you mentioned took me straight back! :) I just remember listening to the daily top hits every night while reading magazines in my room. That story about your car is hysterical!

Briana Runde said...

I am dying! I so listened to all of this and even called Nelly my boyfriend, ha! It's fun to think back on those memories every now again huh?!

Lauren D said...

I graduated in 2001 too (Boston area). Drops of Jupiter was THE song during graduation time for sure!

TorontoSAM said...

I graduated in 1999. I was a teeny bopper for sure - Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees and Britney Spears were my jams. Scar Tissue by Red Hot Chili Peppers takes me back to driving around town and doing errands for the prom. Changes by Tupac was also frequently played. I still know most of the words.

Angie said...

Class of 2000 here. I drove around in my purple neon while jamming out to TLC's No Scrubs. Ahh, I miss those days. It's just not the same listening to that music in the mini van :)

Liz F. said...

I graduated, gulp, 10 years ahead of you so it was the hey day of the 'hair band'--Whitesnake, Poison, Def Leppard, etc. But really I listened to Paula Abdul and pretended to like the above listed bands when talking to the boys I liked. LOVED your story about your first outing in your car--made me feel better about the time I ran a boy I liked over in a go-kart!!!!

April said...

I graduated in 2001 too in Hicktown, TN! Back in those days my town didn't even have a stop-light. Now it has one and a Sonic and a McDs! My newish car that I got after graduation was a 98 Monte Carlo (silver) and that thing could fly!! I loved it so much! We took a senior club trip to Anaheim and LA, CA that June (before 9/11) and I remember thinking it was crazy that gas in CA was a little over $2.

Erika Slaughter said...

What?? I win? No way!! Hahahahaha!

Erika Slaughter said...

Hahahahaha! You should totally download some Janet today!

Erika Slaughter said...

Oh my goodness!!! Yes, I remember. I wasn't super into the Hanson brothers but I had some friends who were!

Erika Slaughter said...

Oh girl!!! My brother had the Ford version of a Sable. What was that called?? Anyway...he was super cool too. ;)

Erika Slaughter said...

I love Bon Jovi!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Hahahahaha!!! That would have been a blast!!

Erika Slaughter said...

I was a big Pearl Jam fan!! Good times!!

Erika Slaughter said...

I agree! The story makes me LOL now but when I was living it, I was calling it the worst day ever! Maybe I was a tad dramatic when I was sixteen. 😉

Erika Slaughter said...

It's so fun!!! Hilarious that you called him your boyfriend!!

Erika Slaughter said...

So glad to hear my Missouri town was hanging with the Boston crowd!! It was super popular where I was too!

Erika Slaughter said...

Changes!!! Oh my goodness!! Yes!!

Erika Slaughter said...

I agree!!! It's also so not cool to get caught singing at a light in the SUV to some TLC. We have to be so much more discreet now. Don't we? :)

Erika Slaughter said...

I was a huge Paula fan! Loved her!

Erika Slaughter said...

Hahahahaha!!! Oh, those were the days right?

Corner of Sass and Snark said...

I was driving a little black Eclipse and jamming to Country Grammar too. Nelly was my jam. (I saw him in concert last year with Florida Georgia Line. It was amazing. My 18 year old self went crazy!)

I thought I was so cool back in 2002.

KRISTIN TATE said...

This entire post had me tickled! That car was on point compared to my 1990 Dodge Dynasty with a bench front and back seat!

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

Ooh I'm soo old lol.. plus we graduated at 16 back in England.. but in 2000 I moved from UK to Utah for a few months.. I remember driving a jeep (on the wrong side of the road).. listening to jumpin jumpin.. and I dated this guy there who send me lenny kravitz again song.. that was the beSt summer of my life.. and who would have known I would meet my husband a few week later and married him the next month... for real.. met, engaged 10 DAYS later, married 4 weeks later and packed up my life and moved to Canada.. 15 yrs and 3 children later ☺...

Lauren Truman said...

Love your list!! I graduated in 2005 and "The Graduation Song" by Vitamin C was so popular! Me and my girlfriends blasted it, sang & cried!!! If you've never heard it, its a MUST!! You might even cry ;)

Ashley said...

This is just.so.great! I graduated in 2002, so I'm right there with you and these flashbacks! My favorites were anything by Barenaked Ladies, Dave Matthews Band, and Five for Fighting...cruising around in my Toyota Camry, haha! ;)

Kathryn said...

Don't hate me for saying this...but those were some of my favorite songs from 7th grade!!! HA! :) And I totally thought of you when I heard Nelly was arrested last weekend!

Jen said...

I graduaged the same year so I am with you girl! I also loved some Nelly (Ride wit me). Creed- Arms Wide Open. I have a horrible memory now after kids, but I am pretty sure I recently found my mix cd's from the early 2000's that I still have and listen to on occasion.