Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Top Three

I don't know about you guys, but the weather here has been so strange.  One day I'm in the middle of spring cleaning and the next I find myself looking up fall soup recipes.  It's officially spring, Texas!  Come on!  :)

This weekend Tab was out of town for a football game.  The kiddos and I made some big plans with some of our very favorites.  We had so much fun!!  

In Top Three fashion, I'm sharing my top three ways to enjoy your weekend with your spouse gone and you on solo duty.  (Maybe it's a small weekend recap.  But this sounds way more fun, doesn't it?) I absolutely love and adore my children.  During football season the kiddos and I have so much fun. But I must give props to all you single parents out there.  You guys rock!  My three and I do have great times, but some weekends are hard.  They're tough and feel long!  However, this weekend was not one of them!  We made the perfect plans and had the best time.

My Top Three ways to have a GREAT weekend when you're on solo duty because the spouse is out of town....
#1 Partake in Mexican food!!

Shay (Andrew happened to be out of town too.  That worked out perfectly!) and I took all six of our kiddos to a local Mexican restaurant on Friday night.  It was yucky rainy outside, but inside we were all enjoying a yummy meal!  And...I've heard if you fall out of your chair with your two-year-old and land on the FLOOR on your booty you might have an even better time.  It's supposed to lighten the mood and ensure that everyone has a good time.  Maybe that's why I fell out of my chair?  ha!  Took one for the sake of my party's happiness.  ha!  I kid. :)


I happened to sit next to this cutie too.  I'd definitely recommend sitting next to a sweet little girl.  Always makes my night better.  Love that Nixon photobomb back there!  haha!


#2  Go Swimming!

Go swimming, even if it's April and the water might be a little chilly.  On Saturday around lunchtime, we met the Shull four at our gym to have lunch and swim.  I seriously think when you're solo for the weekend this is the hardest time...Saturday in the middle of the day.  We had a lazy morning at home until 11:00.  We got back in time for Bowen to take a nap, and enjoyed pizza and playing that night.



#3  When spouse arrives, send all the kids outside with him.  :)

Tab got home late on Saturday night.  Sunday after church he mowed our front yard. Our kiddos wanted to be outside AND be hanging with dad for a while.  I did what any great mom would do...I let them all go hang out outside while I enjoyed a quiet moment in the house alone.  :)


I must say that in order for this exact equation to work you must have the perfect weather.  I don't mean nice sunny weather.  I mean more like this kind of weather...

Lots and lots of rain that cancels two tee-ball games and frees up your entire weekend to hang with friends. 

Here are a few other things the kiddos and I like to do on these weekends:
*Go see a movie
*Play at the park
*Go on a walk
*Bake
*Get our craft on
*Movie nights in the playroom

What about you???  What do you and your kiddos do when your hubby is out of town?  Please share!

22 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

Our weekend would have seemed so looooong if you guys hadn't have played with us! Thankful for sweet friends to occupy our time when daddy is gone!

Carissa Howard said...

Luckily for me, my husband doesn't go out of town very often. I must say you are brave to go out dinner with all those kids. That would make me so nervous, but then again, my two are much younger! Thanks for sharing your weekend!

Katie Wells said...

Too funny about falling out of your chair!!! I have a 6 month old, so definitely run out of energy when my hubby is out of town! But I usually put the baby down, treat myself to a big ole piece of peanut butter pie (from this amazing cafe in North Dallas called Lekka) and watch the girliest movie I can.....Father of the Bride!!!!!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

I've got a solo weekend coming up.....crossing my fingers Tab will be gone again! :)

kimm atwood said...

Our weather has been crazy too...80 one day 50 the next!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

I agree!!! It was a fun weekend!

Erika Slaughter said...

I feel you. I wouldn't have done it when my kiddos were younger. We would have been at Chick-Fil-A instead. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

I do the same thing at night with dessert! My reward!

Tara G. said...

We've had several deployments and Sundays were the hardest for me because everyone has family plans after church. Breakfast for supper, ice cream, & movies were good treats, though!

Erika Slaughter said...

Ooh!! You'll have to send me the dates!

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes! I feel like the forecast has been a little off too. Yesterday I thought the high was 60 but it got up to almost 70?

Narci said...

What a fun weekend! So glad you girls had such a great time!!

Justine said...

Love all your ideas Erika! My husband works A LOT of weekends...so my four kiddos and I have a lot of quality time together :) I have found having an activity planned for morning, afternoon and then fun dinner plans helps us get through what could normally be a long two days! Some of our favorite activities include story time at the library, walking to feed the ducks, going to the park, dinner movie picnics, donuts after church and princess tea parties. And I am ALL about sending the kids outside with daddy once he is home!!;)

Jersey Love said...

I don't have any kiddos yet, but when my hubby has to be on travel for work I love to spend time with my mom or deep clean closets and storage areas. And cheers to the Mexican food! I had it twice this past weekend...haha Mexican in Jersey isn't quite the same....I'm craving some Alamo Café from San Antonio though...

April Parrish said...

I always say...while the hubby's away the girls will play!!! My husband normally takes a hunting trip in the Fall so my 2 girls and I take a little mini vacation to the Myrtle beach to shop and see a few shows! Always fun and hope it will be a great tradition and memory for many years!

Lindsay D. said...

I hear you on the weather...We live in Colorado (SE of Denver) and we had snow yesterday morning and today will be beautiful and sunny!

Elaine Welte said...

What! What! Football season I suppose to be over! Hopefully that was his last game until August! We always make our Friday nights in the fall a girls night. We paint nails, fix hair, mini facials! Saturday we play, play, play! My favorite part is when you sent the kids outside with Tab!

thebusybrunette said...

You guys always look like you're having so much fun! I know my son would love to spend a day with your kiddos and their friends.
The Busy Brunette
http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

What? Football in April?! But I hear ya on that Saturday morning time...sometimes it can be LONG. Week after next my husband is going to be out of town for a week, Tuesday through Sunday night (sad that he'll miss Mother's Day), I've already made plans to go visit my bestie up in the mountains.

Anonymous said...

My husband travels quite a bit for his job. I completely agree that weekends are the hardest! One fun thing that we do when he travels is breakfast for dinner. I usually just make scrambled eggs and bacon with fruit. We sometimes will also throw in a treat like muffins, monkey bread or doughnuts. The best part of this breakfast for dinner plan is that it must be eaten in your jammies! The kids think this is so funny, but in truth it also helps to make the night so much less hectic! After dinner they are already clean and ready for bed.

Erika Slaughter said...

Genius!! :)

Olivia said...

Haha same as you...I think we're pros at this by now. We visit my parents, hang with friends, park, movies, and errands. Hard when they're so young right now. I need Maddox to cut down to one nap soon...as nice as it is, it's hard to get out. We're about to purchase a bounce house and play set so that should fill some time too :)