Thursday, May 7, 2015

Entertainment with Erika

Whew!!  It's been a while since I shared my latest books I've read and movies I've watched with you.  I love nothing more than a big Amazon box arriving with all kinds of new books.  Right now I have a big stack of must-reads just waiting for me, so I'm doing my best to read during any free time!

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Okay, I must say that I'd heard SUCH great things about this book.  A while back, Big Mama (Melanie Shankle) compiled a list of all kinds of must-read books her viewers told her to read.  The first fifteen or so on the list were mentioned several times, so I've been making sure I at least read those fifteen.  Some of those have been fabulous, but this wasn't my favorite.  I'm all about some far-fetched fiction (big Divergent and Hunger Games fan here!), but I couldn't get behind the "magic" in this one.  I loved the relationship between the main characters, but overall...this book wasn't my favorite.



 Let. It. Go. by Karen Ehman

The subtitle is "How to Stop Running the Show and Start Walking in Faith".  I loved this book!!  The main theme throughout the book is as moms are we doing what really matters or are we focused on things that don't.  We need to make sure we pointing our family to Christ with our hearts and actions, but some of that other stuff we get sucked into just doesn't matter.  I would definitely recommend this one to all you ladies out there!!  Sometimes we have to remember to Let. It. Go!!  :)



The Hypnotist's Love Story by Liane Moriarty

We've discovered recently I'm a BIG Liane Moriary fan and this book did not disappoint!!  My favorite kind of book is definitely a "chick-flick" and this qualifies!  The main character is a hypnotist and we get to set back and watch her love story unfold.  If you liked any other Liane Moriary books, then you should check this one out.  

Just for fun, I've read four of her books and this is how I'd rank them...



The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

This is a true story about "Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics".  The story was so good that I actually cried!  ha!  I must say that before reading this I knew not a thing about rowing.  If you know anything about rowing, I'd for sure recommend it to you!  The author went into a lot of detail about the boats they used and other rowing terms.  That part got a little long for me.  Like I said, the story about the boys' lives was SO good!  If you're like me and have no clue what some of the rowing stuff is about, you must push forward and keep reading!  You'll be so glad you did!



Keep It Shut by Karen Ehman

Wow!!  This book was just what I needed to hear!  "What to say, how to say it, and when to say nothing at all" definitely sums this right up!  I think us as girls (no matter our age) will or have struggled with this at some point in our lives whether we were on the receiving end or the dishing end.  When Ebby Lee hits those teen years, we'll be reading this together!!



Nobody's Cuter than You by Melanie Shankle

Awe!!!  This book was so so good!  It was the kind of book you could relate to and were laughing and crying all in the same breath.  I absolutely loved this one.  If you have a girlfriend with an upcoming birthday, gift her this book!  The perfect girly must-read!



Speak by Nish Weiseth

This book is all about sharing our story and how the power of sharing our story can change the world.  When you share with someone and get to listen to their story as well, you learn so much about that person.  She gives a lot of examples of how Jesus himself used this when speaking to crowds and other people.  He shared his story and then he listened to others.  Really listened.  I'd definitely recommend this one.  As Christians we've been called to make disciples and one easy way to do that is by sharing our stories.  



Home Is Where My People Are by Sophie Hudson

Another blogger, Sophie Hudson, shared stories of her childhood in her second book, Home Is Where My People Are.  When I read this book, I could actually hear Sophie in her country accent tell the stories.  Is that strange?  This was a great light-hearted read that kept me laughing!  Loved it!


Up next...
I just started reading Ever After by Vicki Courtney.  I can already tell I'm going to love it!


The kiddos and I saw the new movie, Home about a month ago.  Such a cute movie!!  If you have littles in your home, they will love it!


I'm still watching Gilmore Girls.  I just finished Season One and started Season Two.  Not sure how I missed this show when it aired, but I'm really enjoying it!

What about you guys??  What are you reading and watching right now?

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love book suggestions--thank you for sharing what you've been reading! I've been reading "The Royal We" by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan. So far really good--chick lit about a relationship between the heir to the British throne and a 'commoner'--complete fiction of course but without question inspired by William and Kate :)

Erika Slaughter said...

This sounds so good!!! Thanks for suggesting it!

kimm atwood said...

I need to read that book keep it shut. Thanks for sharing some great reads I need to get some new books for my upcoming days at the pool. Have a great day

Mix and Match Mama said...

Reading Let It Go right now and LOVE it!! And let's not even get me started on Gilmore Girls...I'm obsessed :).

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

I think the fact that I actually read your book reviews should be counted as a WIN! :) And Gilmore Girls....LOVE.

Erika Slaughter said...

Sheaffer-I think it pretty much means you can say you just read 9 books. Right? :)

Erika Slaughter said...

It's a god one!!

Erika Slaughter said...

You are obsessed!! #whatwouldlorelaido haha!

Narci said...

Now, I want to read let it go!! Sounds awesome!! :)

Blake Callahan said...

I love Liane Moriarty!!I will be putting Let It Go and Keep It Shut on my list to read!! I loved this post!

Elizabeth said...

I just read 2 great books that I think you would like! They are Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline and Pegasus by Danielle Steele. They were sooo good...I couldnt put them down!

Tanya said...

Thanks for the book recommendations! I tried Night Circus a while back and couldn't get into it. I need to check out Gilmore Girls! Do you think it would be ok for my 13 year old daughter to watch with me?

Madeline said...

I have watched Gilmore Girls many times and it never gets old!! Nothing's better then watching it with my mom and sisters...LOVE IT!!

Elaine Welte said...

I have got to order Melanie and Big Mama's book! I loved their last two, and with summer around the corner, I'll have time to read these!

Leslie said...

So I just started reading a book called "Desperate" Hope for the Mom who needs to breathe (by Sarah Mae & Sally Clarkson) It's amazing. So refreshing & uplifting for Mommas!

Erika Slaughter said...

Ooh!!! Can't wait to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes!!! The perfect summer reads. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Tell Shay you want it when she's finished!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Oh!!! I'm only on season 2. I have so much mor to watch but I'm loving it. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes!!! The perfect show for you and your teenager! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who couldn't get into Night Circus.

Anonymous said...

Gilmore girls is my favorite show ever! I have seen the whole series at least six times. I am so glad you found it and are loving it too.

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank you! :)

Erika Slaughter said...

I read a Lisa Scottoline a long time and liked it! I'm adding them to my list. Thank you!!

Laurie S said...

Erika - do you like mysteries? I read a lot of "cozy mysteries" - usually a small town setting, with a woman doing being the part-time sleuth while juggling everything else, also a sense of community/friendship. There are many series going on... I can't read them all!

Queen In Between said...

I read Let it Go several years ago and ran across it on my ipad last week and was really thinking I need to read back over my highlights again! Loved the Husbands Secret and Nobodys Cuter Than You...and Keep it Shut is next on my list! I am really trying to read more this year!!

Seri Roth said...

I am watching Grey's Anatomy! I just finished Parenthood so I needed a new show to watch to ease the pain of not having parenthood anymore! I love Gilmore Girl's. My sister and I use to watch it together. - Seri from serisblog.com

thebusybrunette said...

Thanks for the book suggestions! Love that. Also, we saw "Home" when it was in theaters. My son loved it but I hated it. I am probably the only person who did. Oh, well - it was still a fun mommy/son date!
Have a great rest of the week!
"The Busy Brunette"
http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com/

Kelli @ A Deeper Joy said...

Thanks for the recommendations! You read so many books in one month! :) I added Speak and Keep It Shut to my list.

Amy Madill said...

I just finished What Alice Forgot and now I can't wait to read your other suggestions by Liane Moriarty! Thanks for the recommendations!! Have an awesome day, Erika!