Thursday, July 2, 2015

Everything Entertainment

It's time for a little entertainment talk!  I haven't done a book or television post in a while, so I have a lot of goodies to share with you.

The Girl on the Train was such a good read for me.  I LOVE nothing more than a good chick book, but in between those reads I enjoy something different.  This book is suspenseful and will ensure that you get nothing accomplished other than finishing.  ha!

Ladies' Night is the perfect chick lit book.  It has a super cute plot with a great little story-line.  If chick lit is your thing, you should check out Mary Kay Andrews.

I've read a couple Vicki Courtney books and have really enjoyed them so Ever After popped up while I was searching Amazon.  This book is everything you need to know about being married.  Vicki does a fabulous job being super honest about real issues that occur in marriage.  Unmarried or married-I would recommend it to anyone.

A friend recommended this book to me, so I snagged one to give it a try.  Let's Pretend this Never Happened is a memoir that includes really hilarious stories about Jenny's life.  I must say there is HORRIBLE language in this book.  Think Melanie Shankle books but Rated R.  Maybe that's a good description?

I've heard mixed reviews on The Book Thief, so I was a little unsure when I first started reading.  I was a huge fan!  The book takes place in Nazi Germany and is the story of how books help a foster girl and her family get through a horrible time.  I haven't seen the movie, but if you've seen it...let me know what you think.

Who wasn't a Full House fan?  Anyone?  I was all about some Full House back in the day and I follow Candace Cameron Bure on Instagram.  I'm a HUGE fan!  I loved this book, Balancing It All.  She shares how she balances her priorities in the midst of family time, working, and sharing her faith.  She also shares a lot about her life growing up.  If you were a D.J. Tanner fan, then I'd highly recommend it!  

Marla gave me this book for Mother's Day.  It was a sweet book full of feel-good stories about mother and daughter relationships.  I read this book during carpool and it was the perfect choice since it was full of short stories.  The perfect Mother's Day gift for a mom with a daughter.

Sharp Objects is by Gilliam Flynn (who also wrote Gone Girl).  This book is about a small town with potentially a serial killer on the loose.  The main character finds herself reporting on all this and she begins identifying a little too much with the victims.  I don't want to give anything away, but if you liked Gone Girl, you'll love this one!

After the intense Sharp Objects read, I needed another light hearted book!  :)  One Plus One is about a single mother who is struggling in just about every aspect of her life.  A few things change and her life starts looking up.  A great quick, girly read!

I started reading Own Your Life a long time ago and then misplaced it.  I just finished and loved it.  It's all about how to "own" different aspects of your life...your relationships, your faith, etc. and really make them count.  I've read a couple other Sally Clarkson books.  She didn't let me down on this one.


I'm pumped about watching Big Brother!!  Due to the move, I've missed a couple episodes, but I'm ready to get all caught up!  Are there Big Brother fans out there?  If so, who are you cheering for already?

Have a great day!

33 comments:

Lauren McGreevy said...

I love a good book! Gillian Flynn books are dark but soon good!

Lauren
www.postgradinprogress.blogspot.com

kimm atwood said...

Major dj tanner fan over here! Thanks for these recommendations!

thebusybrunette said...

Hi, Erika!
I have just added some of your recommendations to my "to read" list! Thanks! I especially am looking forward to the Gillian Flynn one. Have you read her other one, "Dark Places"? I have to get to that one yet, too!
Hope you have a good Thursday!
"The Busy Brunette"
http://thebusybrunette.blogspot.com

Mix and Match Mama said...

I have Big Brother on my DVR but haven't watched yet! I'm going to watch some TODAY! And I can't wait to read some of those books! Thanks for passing them on to me :).

Sheila Belcher said...

I LOVED The Book Thief. It was one of my favorites. I have seen the movie and I would recommend it. It is rare that I ever choose the movie over the book and same here, but the movie is still good and worth watching. The little boy who plays Rudy is SO cute.:)

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

Chris and I are both now fully into Big Brother...so we can discuss after you get caught up!

Maddy R. said...

You're in for a treat, Big Brother has been SO good this season!! As an Aggie, I'm partial to Clay, but have other favorites as well. Hope you enjoy catching up!

Narci said...

So fun!! All of these books look amazing!! The girl on the train was awesome, and your description of "let's pretend this never happened" is spot on!!

CaitCoak said...

Love Big Brother!!! I have been watching the Live Feeds a little and I do not like Audrey after watching them! But Meg and Jeff are starting to be my favorites! Catch up before tonight!! Love Eviction :)

CaitCoak said...

Watch it before the live eviction tonight :) It is worth it :)

Sally Hepworth said...

Loved Girl on the Train AND Sharp Objects! Have you read Me Before You by Jojo Moyes? So good!

Leslie said...

I love that you love Big Brother! It's my summer addiction ;)

hannah friend said...

Best show ever!! Love me some Steve already ;)

Ashlee said...

I love Big Brother! I actually know Audrey, but she's not playing great at all. I loved Jeff & Jackie on the Amazing Race, but only like Jeff in here. My favorites though are John and Meg who are playing lowkey but still playing. I also watch the live feeds though.

Amy Madill said...

Loving these reviews!! I read Let's Pretend This Never Happened at the beginning of the summer and I was so conflicted. I LOVED Jenny's writing style and her hilarious memories of childhood, but the language really turned me off. I am on a wait list for Girl on the Train at my library but there are 91 people in front of me so I may have to take the plunge and buy it... I've heard great things and I can't wait to read it! :) I am adding The Book Thief to my summer reading list! Thanks, Erika!! Loved this post. x

Elaine Welte said...

I have Girl on a Train for my roadtrip!!

Queen In Between said...

Loved Girl on the Train but have not read any of the rest! Thanks for posting your review!

Erika Slaughter said...

I felt exactly the same way about Let's Pretend This Never Happened! Funny stories but a few too many f-words!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Completely agree!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

You need to read that book!

Erika Slaughter said...

No, I need to read it next!

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes!!! Girl! Get yourself caught up!!

CaitCoak said...

You know Audrey personally! That is awesome! What an amazing story she has! But her game is not so great right now.

Kelsey Mann Peacock said...

As a newlywed, Ever After sounds like the perfect read! I'll definitely check that one out:) Also, glad to hear you liked Candace Cameron Bure's book. It's on my to read list!
Kelsey
www.thepeacockroost.com

Erin Ressler said...

We love Big Brother! I feel like this season is going to have more drama than the last few seasons because all of the contests have big attitude's! We will see...I am excited!

thegoodstuffbyajaespoo.com said...

I LOVED The Book Thief. And I always prefer books to movies, but I would recommend seeing the movie. It was very well-cast and considering how poetic the book's narration was, that transferred to the screen much better than I expected. Definitely has less of a Hollywood feel, which is maybe why I don't think it got as much promotion.

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Thanks for the recommendations! I just finished a book, so I'm on the hunt for something new... preferably light and girly, so I think I'll go with Ladies Night.

Ashley said...

I read The Book Thief last year and The Girl on the Train recently--both were amazing in very different ways. I'm currently reading The Husband's Secret and just CANNOT get into it...and I never have that problem with books--it's just not reeling me in. I'm going to read Me Before You, The Best Yes, Paper Towns, and Ever After next. I have a very LONG book list thanks to suggestions from you and Shay! :) If any of you like Jojo Moyes, I highly recommend The Ship of Brides...it's my favorite book I've read lately.

Kylie McGraw said...

The Book Thief was a great movie, but it's pretty long! I think I enjoyed it because I read the book :) You have a great list of books here! Adding some to my list now!

Molly Middleton said...

So funny…I totally mentioned Stephanie Tanner on my blog today! Now I know I definitely need to get Candace Cameron Bure's book.

Karah said...

I'm always looking for new book suggestions. I will be adding several of these to my kindle. Also I'm a huge big brother fan. I'm not sure who I'm rooting for yet but I love the twin twist.

Anonymous said...

I just finished Sharp Objects and I have to say I didn't like it as much as Gone Girl. It was just a little too weird and a bit too vulgar for my taste. Even though I usually like a good mystery, it seemed a bit far fetched to have a beautiful adult woman doing drugs with her 13 year old sister . Maybe it's just me?

GlitteryKitchenTable said...

Do you have a goodreads account?