Thursday, August 13, 2015

Back Where I Come From...

Do you guys remember that Kenny Chesney song?  It came to mind while working on this post.  I talk a lot about where I'm from.  While I was there last week I decided to take some pictures so I could share a little piece of my hometown with you.

I'm from Zalma, Missouri, a super tiny town in Southeast Missouri.  This is it...
The sign telling you you've entered Zalma.

Some things have definitely changed since I've moved and this school sign is one of them.  When I was there, we had to put those plastic letters up.

This is the high school.  

Gym and music room are in the middle of the high school and elementary.

And this is the elementary.

There's a river that runs through town and when I was a senior we left school early to swim in the Mill Dam.  Looking at that water I kept wondering, "what we were thinking"??  ha!  It was so brown!!

This is the downtown area...if you wanna call it that.   There's a Post Office, Volunteer Fire Dept., and a Masonic Lodge.  Back in the day, we had a town anniversary or something like that.  We only had them a couple years, but I remember lots of people hanging out on this street and a parade!

This was a store when I was growing up.  I remember in elementary school getting to walk to this grocery store and get a soda.  It was SO MUCH FUN! Now that I think about it...that's kind of a long walk for little kids, but we made it with sodas at the finish line.   haha!

And...the one lane bridge that goes out of town.  This bridge is kind of long and it's one lane.  If someone else gets there first, you're supposed to wait.  I remember the first time Tab went to Zalma with me.  These bridges freaked him out.

Thanks for going on a little home town tour with me.  Hope you enjoyed it!!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear about your parents and grandparents. Your family seems so close and so happy, and I would love to hear how they built it up!

kimm atwood said...

I loved growing up in a small town also! I sometimes wish my kids had that! I love where we love but Charlotte is definitely not small town feeling! Have a great day !

The Paynes said...

I love seeing fellow small towners! I grew up in West, Texas! Not the direction. The city. Home of the Czech Festival, Westfest. And, yes, where the HUGE fertilizer plant exploded back in 2013. I went to school in a neighboring town, Abbott. Six man football, 300 kids k-12, everyone knows everyone and I loved it!

Andrea Munding said...

Great post! I love reading about small town fun.

dayme said...

Erika - Jeni always tells me you and I are the exact same person. This solidifies it - and makes me laugh, miss home and want to finish Kenny's song for you.

Narci said...

Such a sweet small town! I love seeing pics of where you grew up! ❤️

Erika Slaughter said...

That is hilarious!!! We should have lunch sometime and chat about all the similarities!!

Anonymous said...

I think your roots make you so likable! You always come across as very down to earth and real!

Leigh Clark said...

I love a small town! That elementary school building looks like it is quite old, and built on?

Laci Murray said...

My mom grew up in a small town in Missouri called Eminence. She got married and moved here (Knoxville, Tennessee) where I was born and still live. When we go visit her family my kids are in shock at how small towns operate and how FLAT it is!!

Jenny said...

What a cute little town. I grew up in a small town as well and swore that I was leaving and never coming back. I ended up meeting my husband and I never left. I'm still here. Ha!

Erika Slaughter said...

There are definitely pros and cons to both country and city living. I love going back to visit. My kids have a blast!

Erika Slaughter said...

I know where Eminence is!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes, the rock building was the original with a basement and upstairs and they added the brick building beside it.

Traci said...

I love it! I'm from a small town too but not that small. It's like out of a movie or something, so cute.

Anonymous said...

This is my first time to post and have enjoyed your blog for quite some time. I know exactly where your town is...I am from Poplar Bluff and my sister teaches at Puxico. Small world sometimes. KimDotJoy (twitter) Kim Joyner

Em Alejandrino said...

Thank you for showing us the small town where you grew up.

Queen In Between said...

What a super tiny town! We use to swim in the river too..ick! I cannot imagine doing that in the old Colorado now days.

Angela Hanson said...

How funny, I live in Sikeston, MO!

Tara Francis said...

Oh wow! I've been following your blog for a year or so, and had no idea you were from Zalma! I'm from Marquand, small towns can be great!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Wow, the tiniest town ever, but so cute!! What is the population??

Kelsey @ The Peacock Roost said...

Love this! I spent a large part of my life living in a small town like that & loved it! When we build our forever home we're going back out there so we can have some property and so our kids can grow up in the country!
Kelsey
www.thepeacockroost.com

live compassionately said...

I agree!

Kaylee Steiner said...

I would love to hear your thoughts on growing up in a small town. I grew up in a town of 15,000 but it was surrounded by similar sized towns, so it didn't feel big, but did. (Makes no sense, haha). Anyways, my husband is in medical school and we want to live in a small town to do a repayment program, but I'm not sure what to expect...? What are the pros? What are the cons?

Alyssa Albany said...

I love your little hometown!

Tanya said...

That was pure heart warming and if that aint America, what is? Thank you for sharing and being so proud of your childhood! I grew up in a small town (bigger than Zalma but still considered small in the scheme of things!) and the memories and ties that can be made are fabulous. Truly enjoyed this! ;0)

Jane @ anothermommablog.blogspot.com said...

I love your hometown. That bridge scares me too :)
My mom is from a very small as well, and she's always saying that it's great and annoying at the same time that everyone knows you and your business, lol! I'd love for my kids to grow up in a small town because I just love that connection. It's a bit impersonal in a larger setting, but we go where our jobs are.

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

my husband grew up in a town of 300 people!!...we swore he would never move there... yet here we are.. I still struggle some days ( I'm from a huge city in England lol).. Do you feel you ever missed out on things living in a small town. do you prefer where u live or would u move back to a tiny town if you had the choice???