Monday, August 3, 2015

It's My Birthday!!

Well...it was yesterday.  :)

I thought it'd be fun today to set some goals.  Some big and some small for the upcoming year.  Then next year I can look back and reflect on how well I did.  I turned 32 yesterday, so here are 32 things, goals, and dreams I'm planning for this year...





1. I plan to spend more quality time with family.  By this I mean get DOWN on their little two or five-year-old levels and really spend time doing what they want to do.

2.  I want to implement Game Night.  I absolutely LOVE playing games.  Tab would be rolling his eyes if you could see him now.  We don't share the love of a great game night, but he humors me.  My kiddos love playing games, so we need to do this more.

3.  I also want to invite grown up friends over for Game Night.  Grown-ups like games too!  (Well, some of us do.)

4.  I plan to try a variety of ways to cook vegetables.  My kiddos would happily live the rest of their lives never eating a vegetable again.  I plant to rectify this situation.

5.  I'm regularly scheduling skin checks.  I already have one in the books for September.  Depending on what the doctor says, I'll go back yearly or bi-yearly for those.  Thanks, Shay! ;)

6.  I need to get more involved in service opportunities around me.  Whether it be church, the community, or something with my little family we need to step our game up and be serving others more.

7.  On that same note, this year I want to be an encourager.  I want to encourage others more by helping, writing notes, giving phone calls, dropping off an unexpected goody...whatever it may be I want to be much better at this.

8.  I want to be the laundry queen.  hahaha!  That's totally stretching it!  These MUST be realistic!  I just want to not let a clean load of laundry sit anywhere in my house without me quickly putting it away.

9.  I already go to the gym about three times a week, but I want to be even more consistent this year.  Three days a week, my hiney should be sweating in the gym!

10.  I've gotten so used to taking pictures with my phone.  I want to bust out my good camera and get better at taking pictures of my kiddos.  Life is happening and sometimes it looks a little better through a Cannon lens rather than my I-Phone.  :)

11.  I think I've mentioned before that I'm very Type AB.  I LOVE being organized, but sometimes figuring out how to get organized is hard.  If that even makes sense!  I want to make sure I get and stay organized...through the school year, baseball season, dance, football season...you name it.  

12.  This is a big goal of mine.  This year Nixon and Ebby Lee will both be at school.  Bowen will go to preschool two days a week and the days he's home, he'll nap.  I want to get most of my computer work-blog, R + F, anything else done during quiet time.  When the kiddos are home from school, Mama does NOT need to be on her computer.

13.  I want to extend grace.  How often does something not go our way and we instantly think something negative??  Is it just me?  Giving people grace is huge on my list this year!

14.  Be quick to say "yes".  I have a tendency to want to say "no" to the children's requests a lot more than I quickly say, "sure".  I'm going to try harder to let the playroom get messy or let us get paint all over the table.  If they're asking nicely to do something, I'll try to make it happen.

15.  Be a stickler about our "ma'ams" and  "sirs".  One thing I love about the south is the manners!!!  I want to be a stickler with my children all year long about this.  Let's be real...we get tired of reminding them, don't we?  

16.  Get active with my kids.  Tab and I both go to the gym and try to stay healthy.  Our big kids are involved in sports and activities, but it's important for them to see us staying active.  More walks, bike rides, and basketball games are in our future.

17.  I'm going to loosen up this year.  Remember, I'm Type AB, but I still like to have everything controlled and scheduled.  This year I'm going to do better about being spontaneous!

18.  All the laughter...we laugh a lot around our house.  But this could always happen more, right?

19.  I have major plans for some fun date nights one-on-one style with the big kiddos this fall.  Tab has football and I usually plan fun things for the kids and I, but this year we're going to try more one-on-one activities.  Since they'll be in school all day, I think it'll be a special thing for us to do when Tab is gone.

20.  Along those same lines, Tab and I need to do better about having Date Nights.  I wish it was something we could schedule every week or at least every other, but at this moment in our life that just isn't realistic.  My goal is once a month.  #keepinitreal

21.  I want to have a lazy day and by that I mean a legit lazy day.  I plan to do nothing productive all day and (here's the good part) NOT feel bad about it.  I would actually prefer this day to be snowy outside, so maybe Mother Nature could help me out on this one?  :)

22.  I'm hoping this year we get at least the majority of the downstairs of our new house completely "finished" and put together.  We want to do a kitchen remodel and I think we'll wait a bit on that, but I want everything else downstairs to be "done" by 33.  -I mean we also will eventually do all the bathrooms, but that's not happening this year either.  ha!  So maybe I just want the rooms all decorated, painted, and put together.  I want it to appear "done".

23.  Get personalized stationery.  This one kind of makes me laugh, but for some reason I've always wanted this and have never ordered it!  

24.  I want to become a prayer warrior.  I'm sure we all have people who come to mind when those words are mentioned, "prayer warrior".  I want to be one of those people!  This one might take years to achieve, but I want to expand my prayer life and I want others to know I'm praying for them!

25.  I'm so thankful for Pinterest, but the majority of things I pin I NEVER use.  My goal is to really put those Pinterest finds to good use.

26.  On that same note, I'm going to be more thankful this year.  About everything.

27.  EEK!!!  I don't know if I can keep up with this one, but I'm going to try my best to take at least one picture a day for the next year.

28.  Recently, I met up with two of my college roommates and had a girl's 24 hours away little getaway.  Having a little solo mommy time was just good for my soul.  I need to do this every year.

29.  Use more Sunless Tanner.  I think I look and just feel better with a tan, so I'm going to try my best to do that the healthy way.  

30.  A ridiculous goal is to never leave the house without lip gloss.  Like I said earlier, I go to the gym three days a week and usually look like a hot mess.  A little bit of lip gloss goes a long way!!

31.  I plan to set some goals for my R + F business.  I'm loving this business, but with the two big kiddos in school I'll have more time to work.  I want to set some realistic goals and make a game plan.

32.  Enjoy every moment of this life.  What I've learned lately is our days on this earth are limited.  We don't know how long we have until we're called home.  My biggest goal this year is to have fun, laugh, and enjoy every moment of my thirty-second year.

Thanks for tagging along on this little blog journey.  I am so thankful for each and every one of you!  Happy Monday, Ladies!!  XOXO

34 comments:

Lauren McGreevy said...

Happy birthday, Erika! I love how you turned your birthday into an opportunity to grow!!

Lauren
www.postgradinprogress.blogspot.com

Blake Callahan said...

I love love all of these!! Happy Birthday :)

kimm atwood said...

Love this all !!!!

Dawn said...

Happy late birthday!! Hope it's the best year yet! :)

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

I'm so glad to read your extending grace goal. Will you please extend me grace for not calling you yesterday? There were several times during the day that I was going to call, but I just never did! So......start getting some practice on #13 today and extend ME some grace! Love you friend. Happy late birthday! xoxo, Sheaffer :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Let's see how well I do after a year. Ha!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank you!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thanks, Kimm!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank you!!

Aja said...

Whew, I'm tired just reading that list! Ha! Seriously, as someone (a bit!) older than you, you'll never regret implementing those ideas about getting on your kids levels or saying yes more. My laundry sits for days sometimes (esp during the summer when everyone is home more), but I never regret playing with my kids!

Erika Slaughter said...

Ha!!! You got lucky! :)

Narci said...

What a great list!! Love you, friend!! Xoxo

Anonymous said...

American stationary has great but affordable personalized stationary.

Kathryn said...

I absolutely LOVED your post today! You are an awesome mama, wife, friend, and R+F sponsor! So thankful that I found you through Blog world! Looking forward to our girls trip (and ROADTRIP) in September! So glad you had a wonderful birthday yesterday!!

ClintandGina said...

Happy birthday!! That is a lot of goals.

My favorite is to bust out the Cannon. I use my iPhone 99% of the time and the quality isn't as good. I'm going to steal that goal.

I love the prayer warrior too. I love my girlfriends that I know really will pray when I ask them too!

Lindsay D. said...

Happy Birthday! We also love game night at our house. We play one game almost every night. Right now we are on an Uno kick...even my three year old loves it!

We aren't very good at getting out for date night, but we try about once a month to do a date night after the girls go to bed...we'll either cook dinner, use the fire pit or even just have a glass of wine sitting at the table.

Full Time Wife Life said...

Haha! Number 23! Personalized stationary really means you have made it in life! Now it's on my list :)

Leigh Clark said...

Your list is great!! So many good ideas! I love that so many of your goals are about people - whether your family or friends, etc. you can see your heart is enjoying life with the people God has provided to you!

Carmen said...

Happy Birthday, Erika!

Rebecca Jo said...

As much as everyone wants to pull out the big cameras, I love that we can always document life so easily now with phones... memories captured all the time :)

Happy Birthday to you!!!

Kelsey Mann Peacock said...

Happy Birthday!! These are all great goals :)
Kelsey
http://www.thepeacockroost.com

Naomi Carpenter said...

Great goals...I love the prayer warrior one. That's on my goals list too. I love this quote about prayer: "Prayerless Christians are powerless Christians" :) Love following your sweet little family! Happy 32nd birthday girl!

www.wonderfullyvanilla.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

Great list & happy birthday! I just wanted to comment on 2 of your points. A year ago I had a basal cell skin cancer removed from my nose! 2 surgeries, yikes! My dad had melanoma, so I had been going for my annual skin checks for many years. Unfortunately growing up in & living in Arizona is just bad bc of excessive sun! So it's great that you & Shay discuss this on your blogs to bring more awareness of its importance! I blog about this too, but your blogs have larger audiences than mine, ha! Next, I didn't want you to feel like taking pics w/ your iPhone isn't good enough, bc I kind of felt this way too. I got my iPhone 3 yrs ago bc it had the best cell phone camera & I was told (& had read) that the best camera is the one you have with you all the time. Also, that more pics are taken daily with the iPhone, all over the world, than any other camera. Since my iPhone has been my primary camera, specifically for the past year, I just upgraded to the iPhone 6 bc of its improved camera. Again I was told that your primary camera is the one you always have with you & use the most.....so what I'm getting at is, don't feel bad about most of your pics being taken with your iPhone bc it takes great pics (esp compared to older cell cameras that weren't good quality at all!), & you're at least capturing those moments when they happen without running to get the big camera! I think that's why Apple developed such a great quality camera, bc they just knew how busy our lives get. ☺️ Sorry this was so long, but I just wanted to encourage you a little bit since I felt the same way!
Happy day to you! ☺️ Rebecca (reallyrebeccasblog.blogspot.com)

Lindsay Otis said...

I love so many on this list. I have my own things to do before 25 list but I love how detailed yours is. I need to remember that for my next birthday.

not a mom

sayyestohappy said...

Happy Birthday Erika! Sounds like you're going to have a very busy and productive year ;) There are so many awesome goals here that I know I could do too. Thanks for sharing!

Nicole O said...

Happy Belated Birthday!! Your goals are awesome--I can relate to the majority of them!!! Had to laugh about the games--sounds like my husband and me! Come to Kansas anytime and I'll play some games with you! 😀

thebusybrunette said...

Happy birthday, girl! Hope this is your best year YET!! :-)
The Busy Brunette

Caroline {Virginia Sweet} said...

Happy Birthday Friend and cheers to 32! I love all your goals but my fave for sure if adult game night! Nothing betting that playing games with your fave people!

Rachel - Floral and Fudge said...

These goals are the best!! I am just going to copy them for my birthday goals in a few weeks, haha.

HAPPY 32nd BIRTHDAY, ERIKA!!! :) :)

Lea said...

What an impressive list! I'd probably have be hard pressed to come up with 63 items last week on my birthday. :o)) We always had game night when I was growing up and I still love games. Hubby, well, not so much! But, our Grans do, so I get to play with them now. Happy week!

Erin and Ryan said...

We share a birthday :) great list! I turned 31 and have 2 kiddos under 16 months...my goals are to shower ever day and eat sitting down for at least one meal! Haha! :0p

Sarah said...

Love this list! So many things to comment on, but know I just kept nodding and saying, I need to do this too :)

Queen In Between said...

This is a great list I would have had a hard time coming up with that many. Hope you had an amazing birthday!

crazymom said...

Wow! Your goals are so inspiring!! Thank you for sharing them.