Thursday, September 3, 2015

Thursday's Top Three

Happy Thursday, Ladies!!  I'm not really sure why, but Thursdays might be my favorite day of the week.  It's so close to the weekend.  You can be a little lax with the kiddos' bedtimes, and Big Brother comes on every Thursday.  Just a few of the positive things about Thursday.  :)   This semester Thursday nights are our crazy night, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  It's fun and the kids are getting to do things they enjoy.

I am completely owning up to the fact that I am not an expert on this topic, BUT I have found things that work for me.  I want to share those things with you.  Today we're talking about being productive.  What are ways that you stay productive?  Seriously....please share!!  I'm sharing my Top Three, but I'd love to hear some other goodies!

#1  Find your BEST Time
I think we all have to figure out when we're our most productive.  Are you a morning person?  Are you a night owl?  Maybe you never hit that afternoon slump and you perform best after lunch?  Whatever it is for you, figure out what time is your best time of day and make sure during that time everyday you're a rockstar getting stuff done.  

For me, I've finally figured out that in the morning bright and early if I get up and get laundry started, the dishwasher unloaded, and some of my work done then I'm a much happier person the rest of the day.  I'm happy because I feel like I've been so productive and it's only 7:00 a.m.  It works for me!  On the other hand, I know that when 8:00 p.m. hits you won't be able to motivate me to do a THING so I need to have my stuff done.  :)



#2  Stay Organized
I don't know about you guys, but I have the worst memory.  I'm pretty sure I still suffer from pregnancy brain and I'm not pregnant!  All that to say, if I have to do something as simple as pick up Tab's dry cleaning for him then I write it down in my planner.  This helps me stay productive, because sometimes I honestly can't remember all that I should be doing.  If it's written down though, I can't forget!  Do you have a planner?  It's a lifesaver!




#3  Treat yourself
I usually set some goals in my head.  When those are complete, I reward myself with a cup of coffee. (with lots of creamer...who am I kidding?)  Maybe you allow yourself a piece of chocolate or five minutes to peruse Facebook?  Whatever it is...set some goals and reward yourself for making those happen.




#4  Candle Burning
I'm throwing in an extra on the Top Three and I think it might be weird.  haha!  For some reason when a candle is burning, I'm more productive!  HA!  Anyone else?  I have no clue why BUT if you light a candle it's like lighting a fire under my hiney.  Mama gets to work!  

Those are my tips for staying productive, but what about you??  What keeps you motivated?  I'd love to read some other suggestions!  Thanks girls!!  XOXO

23 comments:

Lauren McGreevy said...

Haha I love the candle one! I love a good candle too! My tip for being productive is getting enough sleep. Find your magic sleep number and hit it consistently. Shifts in sleeping habits can really mess you up!

Lauren
www.postgradinprogress.blogspot.com

Brantlee said...

These are great Erika. One thing I do is listen to Christmas music when I really need to get motivated to clean/organize the house. Maybe I should be on your next "owning it claiming the crazy" posts! LOL
Have a great Thursday!

Narci said...

Great tips! :) now, I need to go and light a candle!!! :)

Johannah said...

I'm very much with you...if I doesn't get written down somewhere I forget! I love #4, the candle burning =) Happy Thursday!

Mix and Match Mama said...

We're soul mates :). xoxo

kimm atwood said...

I always have a candle burning here. And if I don't write it down chances are it isn't getting done !!!!

The Stantons said...

I am a morning person too! Calendar person as well! To Do lists are my thing....but, I increased my productivity with an idea I saw from Pinterest (shout out PTMT!). I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a cute picture frame big enough to write on, went to the scrapbook paper isle and chose several pretty papers to frame. Framed the paper and it sits on the counter. Everyday, I write on the picture frame with a dry erase marker what I need and want to get done that day. It's cute and a quick visual to inspire me to rock it out. Paper to do lists still exist (I would leave them and forget where I set it). I put things I know I can do that day only. I just bought fall themed paper to use!

Not A Mom said...

I love having a treat when you get your goal done because I always need something to look forward to #stealingthisidea! I've been trying to wake up at the same time everyday, even the weekends and so far, I think my body is getting used to it and helping me become a morning person!

Linds @ Not A Mom

The Lindquist Family said...

Great ideas! I'm definitely a morning person too. I never really thought about the candle idea but it is so true! Have a great Thursday!

kelleyokos said...

Making my bed in the morning...for some reasons that just sets the tone of the day! 😉 and I love those Calendars! I keep stalking the website for a sale! Lol!

Christina said...

This is me too! I'm very much a morning person. When my tasks are complete I settle back and enjoy my cup of coffee (with pumpkin creamer now). I won't light my candle unless the kitchen is cleaned. It's my "reward". Weird, I know.

Kathryn said...

I feel like we're kindred spirits. :) Between the planner and the morning person...we are the same. And I laughed out loud that you write down when you need to pick up Tab's dry cleaning...because I'm the same way! Happy best day of the week!

Trista @ The Classy Chaos said...

Organization! Organization! Organization! I love lists. I can't go to the grocery store without one! I've got them on my phone, on paper and electronically. I've been using OneNote at work and it's so awesome!

Three Gals and a Guy said...

So funny! Whenever I clean, I always burn a candle. I'm not sure if it's just combination of the smell and clean house feel but I love it! I have been eyeing the Erin Condren planners for awhile now.. I should probably just go ahead and get one already! I am definitely a night person- I stay up waaay too late, curse myself for it and then do it all over the next day. I wish I was a morning person! Thanks for sharing!

Leigh Clark said...

I LOVE being organized....LOVE it. I am constantly battling the paper planner versus my phone/calendar. I can't seem to figure what is best - and the older my kiddos get the more planning I need to do!!

Leigh said...

I am NOT a morning person. I am up at 5am only because I have to go to work. It takes me a couple of hours and several cups of caffeine to really get moving. By the time I leave my house around 7am, I'm awake enough to drive (or sit in traffic). I am most productive between 10am and 8pm. I'm good until 8, after that I just want to settle in and relax. I am a list person. I have so many lists on my phone, I swear I have a list of lists I need to make! Music and candles will usually light my fire and keep me moving (or singing and dancing). I reward myself with reading blogs or social media. Happy Thursday!

Tatia Huipe said...

Such great and true points! I finally found my "productive" go-to candle. If you are looking for a fresh new smell, check out the Choose Happiness candle at Target. I love love love it!

Olivia said...

Agree with every single one of those. Setting a timer is also good for me. Since I work on the computer, I can easily get sucked into the black hole that is the internet. If I set a time for 30 minutes to get "this and that" done, then I'm conscious of the time. Coffee and a candle also help. I write down EVERYTHING...even if I have laundry to do because I have a dump truck memory! I'm trying to become a morning person, but I think I'm just fighting my natural night owl personality! At night, you don't really have a stopping point (hence my 2am bed times)...in the morning, when your kids wake up, you have to stop so I think it makes you work more productively.

Katelyn Sloan said...

Seriously why does a candle help so much?? I am the same way haha! I actually give myself a star in my planner when I finish something off my list...I swear the gold star system still works ;)

Laurie S said...

Hi Erika: I have several ways of getting things done - it depends on who is home, and how I'm feeling. I'm generally a morning person (usually after 6:30am). I make lists (on paper only) and LOVE to cross off completed items. One thing I do is try to get things done in one room before moving to another... otherwise I'm going throughout the house multiple times. I "treat" myself with reading blogs or books. Playing some upbeat music can help, too!

Lisa C said...

For me it's make a list (the best best best part is making a line through an item); going to bed with the no dishes in the sink; being really consistent with bedtime/wake time (I feel better); and being reasonable about my schedule. Lots of things are fun and "good" but I know my limits. Most things will come around again if I can't do them this time.

Erin Peyerk said...

I love #2!! My son is 16 months old and I swear I never lost the pregnancy brain! haha! Google Calendar and the Out of Milk app are my saviors for staying organized and getting things done. :)

Shelby said...

The more I read your posts the more I realize how much alike we are!! I loved these!! I totally reward myself too!! It seems so silly but really works!! I hope you are feeling more organized in your new home!!! I love seeing the pictures!