Monday, November 9, 2015

Entertainment with Erika

It's time for another book chat, girls!  It's been too long!
First of all, I want to say, "THANK YOU", for recommending so many great books!  Without your help, there's no telling what I'd be reading.  Have I ever mentioned if left to me I choose the worst movies?? Trust me...my book selections would probably be the same without your help.  :)


Overall, I thought this was a great read. The perfect reminder for us to find Jesus in not just the big moments in our life but all the ordinary moments...even the regular 'ol Tuesdays.  I thought chapter six was outstanding.  For some reason, it really stuck out to me!!  If you have this book, reread chapter six-it's the best!




This summer Shay asked for your very favorite book recommendations and you girls delivered!!  I read through the comments and ordered this one.  I had read one other Mary Kay Andrews' book.  I loved this one.  She writes great chick-lit books, but I wish she'd shorten them just a little.  You have to be committed!!





This book was also a recommendation.  I don't remember her saying anything that I'd never heard of before, but as a mom it's so important to hear positive things over and over.  It definitely helps me be a better mama.  A great read for moms!!






Whew!  After this book, I needed a nap and a foot rub!  Ha!  Has anyone read this or watched the movie??  Cheryl decides to go on a life changing hike on the Pacific Crest Trail.  The hike took months and months.  She had many issues...one of which was painful feet and losing six toenails!!  This would be my worst nightmare....trekking across the mountains ALONE with only four toenails!  haha!  My blood pressure was up the entire time I was reading because I was so stressed for her, but I thought it was a good book!




I'm not sure I've read a book I loved more.  Jen Hatmaker NAILED it with this one!  From the first sentence to the very last she had me hooked.  I didn't want to put it down.  LADIES...if you only read one book this year, MAKE IT THIS ONE!!!





A friend recommended this book by Tracey Garvis Graves.  A sixteen year old boy and his female tutor get stranded on an island.  They face many hardships. I mean...can you IMAGINE?!!  The chapters were short, which helps me read a book way faster, so I finished quickly.  I would say it's a great chick-lit kind of read, but definitely rated R.  (As in, Grandma...do NOT check this out from the library!)  If you're okay with a rated R book, then this is your jam!




I ordered the sequel when I ordered the first one.  This book was an even quicker read.  I can't really say anything without giving either book away...but it was pretty good!



Charlie Brown Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, and Bon Voyage Charlie Brown....all some of my Charlie Brown favorites.  I'm sad to report The Peanuts Movie won't be going on that list!  I was so excited about watching this with my kids and sharing Charlie Brown with them.  The picture and colors were fabulous.  The rest....eh.  Sheaffer and I were in different showings of the movie with overlapping times.  We were texting and both just not feeling the Peanuts love.  I'd recommend renting this one.  #keepinitreal



I finally finished all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls!!  I absolutely LOVED this series!  I wrote a little Gilmore Girls post a couple weeks ago and there are a couple more to come.  Highly recommend this one!!

Now it's your turn...what have you watched or read lately that you loved??  

27 comments:

adrienne chyba said...

Excited about these erika! LOVE the power of a positive mom, and I just started following Jen Hatmaker on instagram...did you see she was Kimberly Williams paisley's + 1 at the CMAs?! So fun!

Sally Hepworth said...

I just finished Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica and it was GREAT. A psychological thriller along the lines of Gone Girl or Girl on the Train. I've now gone back to read her first book The Good Girl. I love discovering a new author!

Kim said...

Aww I loved the Peanuts movie, I thought they kept it very true to the original. My kids loved it too. :)

Mix and Match Mama said...

I laughed out loud at your Wild comment. Seriously, I needed a nap and foot rub too!

kimm atwood said...

I haven't a read a book since July! I need to start reading !!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Are you kidding?? No, I don't follow her on IG!!

Tanya said...

Thanks for the tip on Peanuts. Everyone I've talked to has either loved it or found it boring. Here's what we've been reading/watching lately: http://txtanya.blogspot.com/2015/11/media-monday-november-2015.html

Erika Slaughter said...

Thanks so much!! I'll have to check it out. I've gotta be honest-I'm having a fan girl moment!! I loved your book, The Secrets of Midwives!! Thank you so much for stopping by today!

Erika Slaughter said...

I wish I had loved it. I really wanted to, but I'm glad you did!!

Erika Slaughter said...

I told you it made me have dreams about my toes falling off. I really got into character with that one! Haha!

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes, girl!! You need to read a good book. It's been a while!

Narci said...

Wild is sitting on my nightstand. I've been putting it off for just that reason!! LOVE For the Love!! :)

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

My feet hurt when I'm at the mall too long. That book would give me serious anxiety.

Elise @ Cheers Yall said...

For the Love...I think I need to add that one to my Christmas list!! Sounds amazing. And like a necessary read for me right now too! xx

Not A Mom said...

I've been wanting to see The Peanuts movie I got For the Love for my birthday and I can't wait to start it, I've heard nothing but good things! & Gilmore Girls..YES please!
Linds @ Not A Mom

Robin W said...

I just finished Candace Caneron Bure's book Dancing Through Life. It was pretty good chronicling her time on DWTS to our walk with Jesus.

Queen In Between said...

I reviewed For the Love last week on my blog and I totally agree...so good! I used an entire highlighter when I read it and then went back through and made a word file of my favorite parts so I can refer back! I am not even through season 1 of GG...so sucked in but need more time to binge watch! haha

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

I'm waiting for 'for the love'.. I'm hoping the mail comes today !!
I've heard that about the Peanuts movie from nearly everyone too 😕...it looked so cute !

Stacey Claassen said...

If you loved Gilmore Girls, you will love Hart of Dixie. I have been binge watching as much as I can but I am just in the middle of Season 2. Hope you enjoy!

ClintandGina said...

For the Love was my last book and love love loved it.

I just posted my this month book review on my blog today. It is an amazing Christian book.
http://thoughtsofamamaandwife.blogspot.com/

Olivia said...

I ordered For the Love shortly after we talked and I love it. I'm reading it at night before I go to bed. I'm almost done...I never laugh out loud during a book, but she has me laughing.

Tracy said...

Isn't Gilmore Girls the BEST? Love it so much!

I cannot wait to read For The Love. I've heard nothing but good things! I just finished Simply Tuesday. Did you find her writing style difficult to read/understand?

Katie {The Mishaps & Mayhem of a Solitary Life} said...

Love Gilmore Girls!! Heading over to order For the Love right now!!

Megan said...

Pretty sure Santa is bringing me For The Love!

Trang Do said...

Great books!! Thanks for sharing these list!!
Xoxo,
Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

I've heard great things about that book For the Love! I need to go ahead and get a copy and get on it! We've just been too busy!

Sally Hepworth said...

Oh you are lovely! Thank you. I love your blog!