Thursday, January 14, 2016

Little Things...


Isn't this so true?
I often look forward to big things a little too much and sometimes miss those little everyday things.

Today, I'm sharing some of the little things in life that make me happy.  You know that things that kind of happen often and sometimes you don't even think about them?   The things that are easy to take for granted?  Those things.  

*A clean kitchen with the dishwasher running.  There's just something about cleaning up after dinner, turning the dishwasher on, and just knowing it's all clean.  AHH!  

*This thing right here.  Oh my goodness!  I couldn't do winters without him.  For some reason Tab just doesn't see the need in installing heated floors in the master bathroom ;) so for now this guy is my BFF.  A space heater...how did I ever do winters without one??  The second I walk in the bathroom I turn that guy on and I'm much happier about my life.

*Coffee, a good book, and a carpool line

*Coming home to dinner all ready to go in the slow cooker.  We discussed this yesterday and you guys shared some awesome recipes.  Thank you for that!!

*I actually have a love/hate relationship with this one but there are moments it makes me so happy.  Reading with beginning readers...I have had moments of wanting to scream in frustration and cry tears of joy all while this is happening.  Nixon is ALL BOY!  He gets home from school and is ready to go outside and play.  I love that about him but that makes reading homework a bit of a challenge.  He reads one page and then half-complains/half-laughs about having to keep going, but he does this on EVERY page.  It drives me nuts, but by the 6th page he can have me laughing so hard I'm crying.  (I'm not sure this makes any sense written out...fyi.)  His sense of humor makes me happy too.

*It doesn't last long.  Seriously...only a few seconds but that tiny moment when you have ALL the laundry caught up and the only dirty clothes around are what's on your bodies??  That makes me happy.

*Mexican food-need I say more?


*Every year I try to re-organize pretty much everything....closets, rooms, drawers, etc.  It takes me a long time to do all that so when I finally get to that point of everything being organized-aaahhh!  It makes me happy.

*A fire in the fireplace

*SNOW DAYS!!!  Do we ever out grow this one??  There's just something about a snow day!  An unexpected break that forces you to stay inside.   We love a snow day around here.

*A new pair of shoes-they can just make my day better.

*When my hubby does bath time for the kids, it's one of my favorite things.  LOVE that!

*An iced tea

*A freshly cleaned out and washed car-I try my hardest to keep my house picked up and clean, but my car is another story.  99% of the time my car is a disaster!  When it's all cleaned, it makes me happy.

*Watching my kiddos do something they love-baseball, basketball, dance, playing with trains.  It doesn't matter what it is but I love getting to watch them do something they enjoy.

Today I'm going to be living in the moment and enjoying all those little things.  I hope you will too. :)

Happy Thursday, Ladies!!


21 comments:

Regine Karpel said...

Erika, Thank you.
www.scoopfrmahandicapper.blogspot.com

Aja said...

I love a lot of those same little things too! Except everything about snow and cold weather because I live in Florida for a reason (30 degree lows here for the past week and I'm ready to move to Aruba).

Renn McMurray said...

I keep saying one day I'm going to have everyone at my house naked while I wash clothes so just once every single piece of laundry can be done.

kelly said...

Thank you for the reminder!
Enjoy the little things in life... one day you'll realize, they ARE the big things!

Narci said...

Great post!! The little things are some of the sweetest always!! Love!

Mix and Match Mama said...

One of my favorite quotes is from Bob Hope, "It's the little things in life, not the big ones, that give off the greatest glow of happiness." Yes. Love all of these friend!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

Yes! The little things! Here's one for you...when I open up the dryer to throw the freshly washed clothes in it, and there's NOTHING in there! And you have NO IDEA how vacuum lines can make me smile!

Elizabeth said...

About every other month my mom will call or text us (I am one of 7) and remind us to look for the little things in life that make us smile and remind us to thank God for them!! :) always a great reminder!

kimm atwood said...

I totally agree that it's really all about the little things !!

Elaine Welte said...

Amen girl!

Paula said...

Such a good post! Remembering the little things add up to a whole lot of wonderful!

Christina said...

Yes! A clean car is life changing! :) My daughter is not at the reading homework stage yet....but I feel the same way when she and I play a board game, like chutes and ladders or candyland. She comes up with her own little rules, and half the time it's cute and the other half the time it makes me pull my hair out :)

Kelly huffman said...

All those things make me happy too!! Coffee, and a good book!!! Yes!!!

Leigh (Balancing By Faith) said...

So many to agree with -- clean car is number 1...what is it about having a clean car that is so therapeutic!? Hubby doing bathtime - YES! and all the laundry done, AMEN. For 2 seconds.

Jennifer said...

I am so glad to hear that Nixon is like that with homework and it is not just my son. Kindergarten homework is a lot harder than when my daughter was in it 4 years ago. And each night is brutal!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Ah yes, I'm currently organizing everything in our house as well, and man, is it taking a long time! It's totally worth it in the end, though!

Elise @ Cheers Yall said...

Yes yes yes! Love this. And one day we will have Mexican together!!! :)
xx

live compassionately said...

I love hearing the washing machine going because I know it means clean clothes are coming! I also enjoy a good book, or watching TV with my 50 lb lab curled up on my lap like she's a little lap dog. :)

Simply A Rough Draft said...

The thing that makes me the happiest is that very, very brief moment when all the clothes in the house are clean and put away. It only happens a few times a year and only last for an hour until someone changes clothes; but it's such a victorious moment!

cmcdonald said...

Thanks for sharing Erika! My quiet time this morning reminded me to be present and not put together. I really prayed for grace in the chaos (two under two) and to pause, be patient, and PLAY with my babies. This was the perfect blog post for me to read today following that sweet reminder from Jesus this morning. :)Hope you are about to pick up coffee to enjoy in the carpool line with a book ;)

Tracy Stegall said...

I am so with you on the clean laundry (even if it doesn't last) and Mexican food. Probably a lot more but those two stuck out to me! I linked up your blog on mine, I hope that isn't a problem! Thanks.