Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Show and Tell-Mixed Tape

Hey Ladies!  Happy Tuesday!  It's time for another Show and Tell Tuesday with Andrea!  I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again...Andrea has the best ideas on these link-ups.  Today is gonna be fun.  The topic today is, if my life had a mixed tape what would be the songs on the album??


Elementary Years Straight Up by Paula Abdul-I'm gonna start this mix tape off with some Paula Abdul for no good reason.  When I think back to the earliest of my days and what songs I listened to...my mind drifts to Paula every time.  So in all her fabulous 1988 glory, Paula would begin this tape.  :)

Brady Bunch Theme Song-I'm exaggerating a bit.  Or a lot, but I could think of no other songs about blending a family.  It's the best I've got!  haha!  When I was almost six years old, my mom got married to my (now) step-dad Bruce, who had a son just a year younger than me.  I went from being a quiet only child to a sister with a CRAZY rambunctious brother.  Holy Toledo!  Even at the young age of five, I remember being so over him very quickly.  (I must add that he calmed himself down and I got over the only kid thing so we have a great relationship now. :))

Should Have Been a Cowboy by Toby Keith-I've shared before that I'm from a really small town.  In the fifth grade, a new boy came to our school.  New kids were always super popular in my tiny town.  And all the girls had a little fifth grade crush on the new boy, Jake.  Well, I'm sure I never talked to him (because you never actually talk to your fifth grade boyfriend, right?) but somehow he became my "boyfriend" and I was told that our "song" was Should Have Been a Cowboy.  This makes me LAUGH to this day.  At the time I thought it was so sweet that we even had a song.  I never paid attention to the words.  hahaha!  So I have to include it in my album.  :)


High School Days
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cindi Lauper-For the most part (my mom would disagree with this over my 8th grade year-I had a little stint where I was crazy teenager.  Luckily, I kept it all in one school year and 8th grade contained all my crazy), I was a great kid.  I had a "boyfriend" a couple years in high school.  Mind you I couldn't date until I was sixteen and by then our relationship was already half over.  haha!  Anyway, when we broke up I did not want a boyfriend.  I just wanted to have fun.  So that's exactly what I did!  My senior year I lived it up and had fun!


College Life I'm So Excited by The Pointer Sisters Jessie Spano-I wasn't taking caffeine pills, mind you, but I was a hot mess of excitement, nervousness, and just plain scared to death when I set off on my own little college adventure.  I grew up in a town of less than one hundred people and was instantly living in a building that housed WAY more.  I was a mixture of #alltheemotions but I held it together, grew my faith by miles, and met the man of my dreams, which leads me to....

When God Made You by Newsong-Awe!  I'm sure like most of you the road leading you to "your person" (thank you, Lauren) wasn't the easiest, but when I met Tab I knew very early on that he was the one for me.  It was just easy.  We met, fell in love, and played this song at our wedding.  Didn't everyone in 2005?  haha!


Marriage and Motherhood
Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crown-Tab and I had some tough times getting pregnant and throughout those infertility issues, this was my go to song.  I had this on repeat at all times.  If you've never heard the song, go listen ASAP!  

A New Day Has Come by Celine Dion-After some infertility issues, we ended up having our children very close together.  Ebby Lee and Nixon were born twelve months and three days apart!!  Let me tell you, almost Tab's ENTIRE paycheck went to diapers and formula.  We were a HOT MESS!  But ladies as much crazy as I had in those young years, I wouldn't trade it for the world.  One day they grew up and we had no more bottles or babies.  It seriously felt like a new day had come.  And the truth is-I miss it just a bit and some days a whole lot.

Happy by Pharrell Williams-This is my motto right now at the moment.  I'm happy.  My kiddos and I have been talking about this a lot.  Some days are all roses and unicorns and some just aren't but so much of our day really is determined by our outlook.  We've been choosing to have joy and be happy!


I hope you enjoyed my mixed tape. :)  Can you guys relate??  Would any of these be on your mixed tape?  Thanks for stopping by today, ladies!  XOXO


37 comments:

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Girl! Laughing so hard right now - you'll have to go look at my FB status from yesterday. I JAMMED hard to Straight Up and I was both fascinated and horrified that I remembered every.swinging.word. ;) And then after that one was over, I had to go back to Forever Your Girl, of course!

Erika Slaughter said...

Two things...1. I love that you're up so early!! And 2..We could have had a great time singing Paula Abdul back in the day. (Or now). :)

Narci said...

Girl, Paula Abdul! Yes ma'am!! Too fun!! I loved this!!

Chasity Munn said...

Oh wow! I had the Straight Up tape. Still know every word to that song. :)

www.hautemommyblog.com

Erika Slaughter said...

:)

Erika Slaughter said...

Me too!!

Mix and Match Mama said...

The Jessie Spano comment made me laugh out loud! Hahaha!

Katie {The Mishaps & Mayhem of a Solitary Life} said...

Love Girls Just wanna have fun!! And love that you said I'm so excited by Jessie Spano...HA!!

Regine Karpel said...

I love your mixtape.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

kimm atwood said...

Love this

dayme said...

Ok-even more sad we didn't get to talk on Saturday. all of these songs made me laugh because I was right there with you. �� #smalltownlife

Simply A Rough Draft said...

I remember the video of Paula Abdul dancing around with the fox...or some animated animal...and thinking it was the coolest thing ever! Great post! I would love if you would check mine out, too. :)

Kara said...

First- yes to Jessie Spano, second- praise you in this storm is my miscarriage songs and to this day when I hear it it brings me back to those days and how thankful I am for my kiddos. I love all your mix of songs!

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Ha! I'm always up super early. I'd rather sacrifice sleep so I can get my quiet time and my blog reading catch ups ;) And yeah, we would have rocked the house with Paula! Have a great day!

Queen In Between said...

I cannot believe I forgot about this post!! I am kicking myself hard. So much fun

Leigh (Balancing By Faith) said...

Jessie Spano!! Hahaha - hilarious!! Paula Abdul and Cyndi Lauper for the 80's win!!!

Kelsey @ The Peacock Roost said...

Jessie Spano...so funny! Love Praise You In This Storm! Great list :)
Kelsey
www.thepeacockroost.com

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

I LOVED Shoulda Been a Cowboy! That was one of my favorite songs as well! I actually talked about "John Deere Green" by Joe Diffie in my post... I think those came out around the same time!

AbigailCarter said...

Love this! I feel like I read that you were a Nelly fan at some point?! Who doesn't love Country Grammar or EI?! haha

Tanya said...

Happy! Oh what a song!
I teach 1st grade and on Fridays....they know this is the THE song for the start of the day! How can you not feel good??????

Britni Alexis said...

Love the part about choosing to have joy every day! It really is a choice and you have to decide how you will handle the punches that life throws at you! I love how you're teaching your kids this at such a young age. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

:)

Erika Slaughter said...

It's so true! That's how I felt. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank u!!

Erika Slaughter said...

:)

Erika Slaughter said...

I know!! I knew you would understand. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Me too!

Erika Slaughter said...

Ah!! I completely understand.

Erika Slaughter said...

Me too, girl! I'll take less sleep and the quiet!

Erika Slaughter said...

Do it next week!!

Erika Slaughter said...

:)

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank you!!

Erika Slaughter said...

I remember John Deere Green!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

I do love Nelly. I just couldn't figure out a way to work him in. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

For real!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank you!!

AbigailCarter said...

Gotcha! His new song is growing on me! Loved your list!