Monday, April 11, 2016

Welcome to New York

Girls!!  WAHOO!  Shay and I just got back from an AMAZING girl's getaway to New York City! 

 Please imagine some kind of New York song playing as you read this post.  Maybe Alicia Keys' Empire State of Mind?  Welcome to New York?  Or even Frank Sinatra's New York, New York?  If I was super techy-I'd make sure my blog was playing it for you.  But I'm not.  So please imagine.  :)

When Shay told me she was gonna be on the Today Show (EEK!!!  I KNOW!!), I had my bags packed in a hot second ready to accompany her on this trip! 

Monday morning found us at the airport bright and early to catch a flight to NYC!  I'd never been before so I was STOKED!  We grabbed a little breakfast and were ready!


The flight was great and we hopped right in a cab.  Let me tell you the sky was GUSHING water at this point.  I tried to show you proof, but it's hard to see.


We got freshened up and set out for our first night of adventures.  First up, Shay had a little run-through at the Today Show.  Then it was Dry Bar appointments and dinner.

Let me just tell you...I did not do thing to prepare for this trip.  Well, I ordered a few new things to wear.  ha!  That was it!  Shay was the BEST tour guide!  She had all our reservations ready and our course mapped out.  It was awesome!


After a hair appointment, we headed to Nobu for dinner.  I should have taken pictures of our meal.  Oh my goodness!  It was delish....yellowtail sashimi with jalapenos, rock shrimp tempura, and black cod miso.  That black cod was the very best.  I'm telling you.  It pretty much melted in my mouth.  It was delicious!

THE BIG DAY:
I had to take this picture...my coffee is the light one.  hahaha!  I prefer a little coffee with my cream.  

We were up early to get ready for THE TODAY SHOW!!


Not sure if you can tell, but I was a bit nervous!  Shay was as cool as a cucumber.  I would have had HIVES.  #nolie

On my first real job interview, I got hives right before I went in and it took them HOURS to go away.


We made it to the Today show and were pointed to the green room.  I should have taken a picture but everyone would have been looking at me weird.  Contrary to popular belief, it's orange not green.  It was a room with benches, a television, a little food/beverage area (coffee, water, juice), and then random people just sitting around.

Shay goes back to get her make-up touched up and I'm chatting with her PR friend.  Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Chris Manzo walking in.  (I've mentioned before that my guilty pleasure is ALL Real Housewives' shows.  Chris' mom, Caroline Manzo, was one of the first Real Housewives of New Jersey.  She's gone on to have her own show on Bravo.)   

Shay returned and we MAJORLY fangirled over him.  hahaha!  We finally went over, talked to him, and got a picture.


He was super cool and totally went with it. 

It was almost go-time so they walked us upstairs to watch in this little waiting area.  We were watching on the tv, while Today anchors were coming in and out.  All the anchors had dressing rooms off this area.


We met Al Roker!


It was time to get apron-ed up!


Then I was guided to this little area to hang out.  I was in the same room where they filmed the guy's panel but I was just out of the way, behind the cameras.


After the guys panel segment, Kathie Lee and Hoda went downstairs to film that Shoddy Mom segment.  We got to move closer, check on Shay, and get ready for her turn.

The amount of lights, cameras, and technology things on the ceiling shocked me.


In they came...


Shay totally hit off with them for a minute or two before the cameras were rolling.  Then it was GO time!


You GUYS!!!  Shay was AWESOME!  She chatted with the girls, was super engaging, AND showed you how to make a recipe all on NATIONAL television!  She was FABULOUS!!  If you missed it, you can see it here.  I was SO proud of her!!


The weather in New York when we were visiting was CHILLY!!  The news channels kept saying phrases like, "heavy blankets required", "feels like an arctic blast", and any other phrase that would make you a little nervous about sightseeing all day outside in the elements.  So we did what any Texas girls would do.  We layered up and then hit the streets!


After our delicious Nobu meal, I told myself to remember to take a food picture for every other meal.  Well, this is when I remembered.  When I'd eaten almost everything!  That's how good our lunch was.  We stopped at Sarabeth's for a lobster roll lunch.  Another meal....another success!  Delicious!


Don't mind this crazy selfie!!  hahaha!!
Our plan for the day was to visit some spots in the Upper East Side, walk through Central Park, and then check out the Upper West Side before heading back to get ready for dinner and our show.

First stop, Sonja Morgan (from Real Housewives of New York) town house.  (It's behind us in that selfie.)


On Bravo they show lots of clips similar to the photo above.  They never show us this...


That to the very left of her house is a parking garage!  Isn't that crazy?  Who knew?

Her town home was cute and in a great location.  I just wasn't expecting the parking garage to be right next to it.


Anyone recognize this home??  The one in the middle right behind the white car belongs to...

Kelly Ripa!

Her building was on a super cute street and was less than a block from Central Park.


We walked across the street to take pictures.  Because it'd be crazy weird to stand right in front of her house and do this, right?  haha!  But while we were standing there a lady (assistant, nanny, housekeeper, tax lady, who knows) went in!  We should have asked for a tour.

Then we finished up our tour, grabbed a coffee, and made our way back to get freshened up before our night out.


We took a quick selfie in the mirror before heading out. #wheredowelook


First stop was dinner at The Strip House.  This food was possibly my favorite.  We had steaks, creamed spinach with some kind of magical truffle sauce that made it even more delicious than just the regular cream, and creamed corn with pancetta topped off with some crunchy goodness.  We ended that meal with something chocolate...I can't remember if it was a brownie or cake but there was definitely chocolate involved.  If you're traveling to NYC, I'd HIGHLY recommend this restaurant!

It was crazy cold outside and we had on small jackets, bare legs, and heels.  Our plan was to Uber to the show from the restaurant.  Well there's that famous saying about the best laid plans, right?  I didn't realize I was trying to get us to SHARE an Uber so it kept showing the Uber would be there in fifteen minutes.  Our show started in about thirty minutes so we were too nervous to wait.  We did what all tough moms do...we decided to walk the 72 blocks to the show in the cold and in the heels.  I don't think it was actually 72 blocks, but that's how it felt.  haha!  I think it was more like 8 blocks but I was pretty sure when we arrived I needed both hips replaced.  Apparently my hips are majorly involved when I walk in heels.  I'm talking majorly involved.


We arrived in plenty of time and had great seats for the show, Wicked.

If you've never seen it, it's another thing I'd highly recommend.  This show had lots of tricks, lots of things happening on stage, great music, and great acting!   It was super cute!


At intermission, we stood for a just a minute and grabbed a selfie.  :)

Days 1 and 2 in New York City were so much fun!!  But there was even more fun to be had.  Be sure to check out Shay's recap as well!

Happy Monday, Friends!  XOXO

49 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

Erika Slaughter, YOU MADE MY TRIP! I seriously cannot imagine doing it without you last week. I will always have 4 billion memories of our first (but certainly not last!) trip to NYC together. I cannot thank you enough for being my cheerleader while I was doing Today. Love you so much friend! And PS: my toes still hurt from walking in my heels in the freezing weather to Wicked. I may never be the same again... ;)

Sarah Shaneyfelt said...

This is so fun!!! I'm so glad you got to go with Shay and give us all the backstage info! And I can't believe Sonja's house is next to a parking garage??? That makes me feel like she doesn't have as much money as she says she does because her house had to have been cheaper because of the parking garage--so strange! And Wicked is my favorite--it's based off of a novel. You need to read it!
Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

Erika Slaughter said...

Girl!!! I was in and SO excited to be your cheerleader! I had the best time and am ready to go back!! Get our your planner. :) This is the first day my hips have felt no pain!!! We were a mess!!

kimm atwood said...

What a fun trip

Erika Slaughter said...

I know! I wasn't expecting it either! It was super cute and in a great location city-wise. Right in the middle of it all! Bravo just doesn't show that left side so I never knew. I need to read that novel. Wicked was fabulous! So good that we've been listening to the Wicked Broadway station on Pandora!

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes, we had a blast!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

You did a GREAT job with the pictures! Y'all looked absolutely gorgeous and obviously had so much fun. The extreme cold might have killed me dead. Can't wait to see the other days!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

I can't wait to give you your birthday present!!! All the way from NYC, just for you!

Brittney Hill said...

i love your leopard dress where did you get it?

Kara said...

I loved this! I'm so glad you girls had fun. When I'm ready to go to NYC I know who to call!

Valerie Cox said...

What a fun trip!! I met Hoda in January, and I can't imagine how fun Kathie Lee and Hoda were together! So glad you enjoyed Wicked!!

Narci said...

So fun!! What a great trip, girl!!! Love it! Xoxo

Liz F. said...

What a fun trip! As a Midwestern girl,I had to chuckle over your dressy pictures in the cold. I always wonder how celebrities do it during winter NYC premieres and events. You always see tons of outdoor pics in bare dresses with no jacket in Jan/Feb. if it were me I'd be huddled and hunched in the pics with purple mottled legs covered in goose pimples! Haha! Liz @ familyoffoley.wordpress.com

Erika Slaughter said...

I got it from Nordstrom but it's sold out. :(

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Call me!!

Erika Slaughter said...

They were both so sweet!! Yes, Wicked was fabulous!

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes!!! You're headed out on a girl's trip soon. Right?

Erika Slaughter said...

I don't know how they do it either!! We were COLD!!

Kelly Stamps said...

Oh this looked so fun!!!!!!!! I would have wanted to do the exact same things y'all did!

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

Oh thsts I my type of trip.. minus the rain lol
Girls friends, food, and stalking. .girl I heart you !
I lived in Kensington for a few years and I remember the first time I saw a famous person I about died lol

Erika Slaughter said...

We sure did!!! It was all of my favorite things!

Erika Slaughter said...

That's pretty much how we were. Hahaha!

"The Mrs." said...

That looks like such a great time! It's always a good time when mama's have some time. ;) Kelly Ripa's house...ahhh!!!!!!

Megan said...

I'm cold just reading this!!! I had to pull a blanket on!! Looks like so much fun!! Glad you got to go! I wanna tag along next time!!!

Chasity Munn said...

I LOVE that you got pictures of your celeb house stalking!!! Looks like you ladies had a fun time, thanks for sharing!

I love the Strip House but I didn't have the creamed corn or spinach. :( Maybe Shay can recreate the recipes for us??

www.hautemommyblog.com

Mary said...

Such a fun trip! What color are your Kendra Scott earrings in the first pic with the poncho? Thanks!

Melanie Smith said...

Love love your leopard dress!

Leigh (Balancing By Faith) said...

SO fun!! Aren't you so glad to have a friend do great things with!!! I would never go up to a celebrity and ask for a photo, but with a friend I would! Shay did SO great on the show, I am impressed as to how natural she was - next stop Food Network!!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

We LOVE Striphouse! So delicious!! And you guys are just the cutest together! Can I please come be your third girlfriend? Haha.

Paula said...

HOW FUN! You two are incredibly adorable! Great recap!

Paula said...

Oh...I would have had hives too! :D

brookerichardson said...

Love all the pics and food recommendations! I'm like you; I would have gotten hives too before being on the today show, lol. Shay did a fabulous job. Not suprised by that for one minute. Maybe on your next trip, it will be a tad warmer! Both of your dresses were stunning on you girls!!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes, Mamas need a break every once in a while. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Hahaha!!! It was crazy cold for April in New York!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Oh girl! You need took back to try the corn and spinach!

Erika Slaughter said...

I'm not sure I'll check.

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank u!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Maybe she can cook in Hawaii next. Wouldn't that be fun? Haha!

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes, for sure!!! My hubby wanted to do all the "touristy" things with me so it was nice to just do girly things!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank u!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thanks so much, Brooke!! I can't wait to hear about your trip!

melissalane04 said...

OH my goodness Erika! I loved this girls weekend! Shay will have to be a regular on the show because she did amazing! She is totally a natural! I agree with you I would have had hives... I was a mess just meeting the anchors when I went to watch! Can't wait to see the rest of your adventure!

Amanda-Cupcake N Dreams said...

I loved your recap Erika! Your commentary was so funny :-) Loved your leopard dress!!
www.cupcakendreams.com

Andrea Worley said...

What a fun experience for you both!

Queen In Between said...

You girls are just adorable. So much fun and this totally brought back memories of my trip to NYC with my bestie.

Mary Kate Berry said...

Where did you get the mint and gold shoes you are wearing with the pink puffy jacket?!

Elise @ Her Heart and Home said...

Y'all make my heart so happy. Next on my NYC to do list is TOTALLY going by Kelly Ripa's house!! AHHH! xx

Kristen said...

Looks like a great time!

Garima said...

nice