Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Top Three-Time Management

Happy Tuesday!  I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that it's MAY!

On my poll last week, a topic that came up quite frequently.  You guys wanted to know how I manage my time and our time as a family.  I'm definitely no expert, but I'm going to share what works for me.

hahahaha!  :)

Again, I'm no expert when it comes to this, but this is what works for me...

#1 Schedule

I always have an idea in my head of how the week ahead is gonna go down.  This is how it works out for me.  I try to at least be at home one day to get caught up on house work, blog work, vacations, etc.  I SCHEDULE in a day at home every week. Might not be a full day but pretty close-that happens every week.  I know what days I'm going to the gym.  On those days, Bowen is home with me and I try to be back home so that he can lay down for a nap by 1:00.  Anything I do before then, I plan and know that I really only have a couple hours in between gym and nap time.  Lunch with friends, trip to the grocery store, or a post office run...always planned.  Usually I try to fit in something that's just for me during the week. (I do this while Bowen's at school.)  Might be a trip to the mall or lunch with a girlfriend.  Also depending on my work load for the week-I can get up earlier to get more work done in the morning or cut out anything extra I'd LIKE to do.  Does it always work out?  Absolutely not!  We have crazy days and lazy days like everyone else, but for the most part it helps me get things done and have some fun time as well.


#2 Write It Down

I either have a freakishly good memory.  Like you'll tell me a story and I'll remember crazy details about it from years ago OR I remember absolutely nothing.  I apparently have two levels.  There's no in-between.  So-in order to keep myself sane-I WRITE IT DOWN.  I have a little TO-DO list going at all times in the "notes" section on my phone.  I always have my phone with me, so my list is always there as well.  If it's not written down, I'll probably forget.  But if it's on a list, then I have a mission!  It helps me be way more successful at getting things done.


#3 Be Realistic

I have to be realistic with myself about how much time I have to get things done.  If I want to reorganize my pantry, clean out closets, and paint the guest bedroom it's going to take me a while.  I try to choose one thing at a time to get completed when I'm working on "extra" projects.  Just be realistic with how much time you have and plan accordingly.  Or be willing to cancel some things for the week so you can get a big project finished.

I know nothing I just shared was earth-shattering, but it's what works for me.  If you have any helpful time management tips, please share.  We'd all love to hear.  :)

Thanks, ladies!  XOXO

20 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

Love your tips! I agree, a good game plan where everything is written down and scheduled is the only way I know how to make all of this crazy work. I'm going to come back later this afternoon and read everyone else's tips!

Sarah Shaneyfelt said...

I like how you schedule yourself a day at home! Such a smart idea! I'm going to keep that in mind this summer because I tend to say yes to so many things and then I feel like I am so behind on things that need to be done at home. Happy Tuesday!
Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

Man, I love a list...and I love checking things off that list. Scheduling a day at home is such a great idea!

KW0410 said...

Thanks for the tips - I think a scheduled day at home is a great idea! Would love to try this at home. I also use my notepad quite a bit for managing my to-do list and even have a list of clothing items I am looking for or interested in acquiring to keep me on task when I am shopping!

Erika Slaughter said...

Everything runs a little smoother at home when I've had a day at home. Laundry is done, house is clean-we all feel better!

Erika Slaughter said...

That is impressive! Shopping on a mission-I love it! :)

Narci said...

What great tips! One thing that I've learned is to cut back on what is on my calendar. Our quality of life is so much better this way! I'm going to come and check out all of the comments later!! Love it!

kimm atwood said...

If I don't write it down I won't do it. I need a list. And I always have one day where i stay home in my comfy clothes clean in the morning and spend the rest of the afternoon just watching tv. I love that one day to just be home

Katie Smith said...

Thanks for the tips!!!!

Raven said...

I am the same way with lists.. My to do list is constantly going on my notes section! And like you said, if I don't write it down then it's right outta my head! I blame it on mommy brain ;)

www.tryingtokeepupwiththejones.wordpress.com

Queen In Between said...

Haha...I totally am exactly the same as your #2....I either remember every detail or zip. Being realistic with my time is definitely one I have had to learn...and I'm fairly confident God was like come on girl...I'm only giving you 24 hours today! haha

Sara Fehrenbacher said...

I agree- Making a list and checking things off definitely helps me keep track of my to-do's for the week. It also gives me an idea of how tired I will be that week, and how much coffee I might need, or every now and then my list tells me I might get to relax a little. HAHA :)

Kim Taylor said...

I don't even have kids at home anymore, but I have found that as I have gotten older.....my life has definitely gotten busier! I make a To Do list for almost every day of the week. The only exception is normally Saturday and Sunday.....or when we are at the beach house. Because when we are at the beach, nothing else really matters and I don't have a zillion other things to do other then play golf, drink wine, eat and sit at the beach! LOL

Katelyn Griffin said...

Loved this! We are on the same page :)

Kristina @ Ms.Modify said...

I'm a big list maker too! I feel like I would lose my mind with my lists!

Leigh (Balancing By Faith) said...

Love these tips!! Having a plan and being a list maker are certainly tops for me too!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this! I thought I was so weird for needing a day or two at home! Glad I'm not the only one! I have a marker board by my kitchen I write my to-do list down on. I also write down my older sons chores so he can see them and do them. I also will make notes of things I need my husband to do or help with. It's so nice getting things done!

Stephanie Spring said...

I love all of these! Happy Tuesday! :)

Megan said...

Love this!!! And I need at least 1 full day at home too!! Otherwise my house gets out of control!!

Jen Arthur said...

I am the same with my memory! I have a freakishly good memory with people and experiences...sometimes i try to pretend I don't remember stuff so I don't seem creepy, hahah! But then other things, like dates or times or names....I will swear on my life that I was never told. I just can't remember those! And I agree with a PLANNED day at home! For me, if I can knock it all out on Monday, then the rest of my week is free and I can enjoy it knowing all I have to do is minimal maintenance!
Xo, Jen
Www.bellenbrooks.com