Monday, July 25, 2016

Let's Talk...School Days

Happy Monday, Girls!!

If you give me the topic, SCHOOL DAYS, on July 25th my mind is always going to go to what I need to be ordering, checking on, scheduling, etc.

AAHHH!!!  This sweet picture melts my heart!

I was the newbie kindergarten mom who waited until the second week of August to order a backpack WITH her name embroidered so I had to pay a ridiculous amount to have it expedited to ensure it'd arrive before the first day of school.  

This summer I wrote in my planner to order backpacks the first week of July.  #imnotevenkidding  And I can report they've all arrived.

My plan was for them to use their backpack for two years, but I've gotta be honest...after one full year of using them all day, everyday-they're kind of gross.  Not falling apart, but dirty.  Especially this last year because Ebby Lee's was a light pink.  It showed EVERYTHING.  Ugh!  So all that to say, now I just evaluate the backpacks and if they're super dirty-we order a new one.

We get their backpacks from Pottery Barn Kids.  They have a TON of colors, styles, and patterns.  Everyone can always find a favorite.  Sometimes they choose a color I want to give a little side-eye to, but it's just a backpack-so we go with it.  :)

All that to say, if you're thinking of ordering a Pottery Barn backpack and want your child's name embroidered, then you should get to ordering ASAP.  #dontmakemymistake

Here in Texas, it's crazy hot for a sweet forever.  We'll be wearing shorts until October.  I wish I was kidding.  It makes school clothes shopping really easy though.  I typically purchase a couple new things they can wear to school, but for the most part we don't need typical "fall" clothes-like jeans, sweaters until much, much later.  The one thing I do stock up on before school start is SHOES!


Ebby Lee is READY in the shoe department.  At my kiddos' school, they have to wear tennis shoes three days a week.  The other two days they can change it up a bit.  Nixon never changes it up, but Ebby Lee prefers to wear Ugg boots in the winter and ballet flats any other time.  She had this exact pair of flats a couple years ago, so I was excited to see them in the Anniversary Sale this year.

And Nixon chose this pair and another similar pair (that I can no longer find) that both had velcro.  If you're a mama like me, I couldn't love the velcro more.  :)  haha!

If you haven't done your shoe shopping just yet, I highly recommend you check out the goodies on sale at Nordstrom right now.


Another thing I always order before school starts are Monkey Bar Buddies for Ebby Lee.  The Monkey Bar Buddies slogan is "Undergear that gets it".  I always order several pairs of the little shorts.  They're kind of like spandex, but Ebby Lee wears them under dresses.


I asked you guys for your favorite kid water bottle recommendations a few years ago and these were your faves!  We've been using them ever since!  I always stock us up at the beginning of the year.


I get my favorite planner ordered with all the best accessories.  :)  If you're similar to us, we absolutely LOVE the lazy days of summer with not much of a schedule in sight, but around August we start craving some consistency. 

I also am on my "A GAME" when it comes to meal planning at the start of the school year.  I've shared some of our favorite back-to-school dinners before here, here, and here.


When my kids head back to school I'm always a bit sad.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's loud chaos at my house, but it's so nice to have everyone here.  However, on the first day of school two years ago, my girlfriends and I started a new tradition.  This back-to-school breakfast always helps my first day of drop-off.  

If it's your first year sending one off to kindergarten, then I highly recommend heading to the mall.  hahaha!  #itusuallyworksforme

Should we be doing anything else to get ready for BACK TO SCHOOL?  If I'm forgetting something, PLEASE help me out!  :)  XOXO

32 comments:

Stephanie Spring said...

I'm not even a Mom yet and I already want to do this back-to-school breakfast! ;)

Mix and Match Mama said...

Oh Erika! As much as I don't want summer to end, these posts today are getting me all giddy inside ;). I love me some back to school excitement friend! Annnnnd...I'm already looking forward to our annual breakfast.

Ramona said...

I'm sending my first one off to college. I haven't ordered a single thing for his dorm room yet. I'm in denial. :( Happy school year to you!!!

kimm atwood said...

Olivia is now in a uniform school and I've got to be honest..I love not having to "dress" her everyday! And holy cow EL has grown up so much!!!

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Girl! Thanks for linking up the Monkey Bar Buddies. I've been looking for the perfect shorts to go under Q's dresses since she wears those 90% of the time to school. #notafanofjeans ;) How is it back to school already?!? Butttt, on a positive note, every day closer to school starting is one less day of this insane heat wave.

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

So at the end of the year last year, Carter started feeling like his PB backpack wasn't "grown up enough" for him. His had dinosaurs on it, so I got where he was coming from, and we got him an Under Armour backpack at his request. And I was actually sad about it! Pottery Barn has the greatest choices, and I love the quality and the monogram!!!! I'll just gaze lovingly at your kid's cute backpacks this year. :)

Narci said...

Great tips mama! We love those monkey bar buddies!!

Sarita @ it's my girls' world said...

I find that when I give my PBK backpacks a quick scrub, throw them in the wash for a quick cycle and let them air dry- they are as good as new!

Beth said...

Did you know you can wash PBK backpacks? We have one, and I told my daughter to pick a pattern she was good with until middle school! They wash well, and no more buying a back pack each year!

Erika Slaughter said...

No!! I didn't know that!! And why did it not cross my mind? Thanks so much for the tip!

Beth Walker said...

My kids have LL Bean backpacks. I wash them all the time in the washing machine. The first ones I ordered for my big boys lasted 5 years and I only ordered new ones because they needed a bigger size.

KRISTIN TATE said...

I'm there! Xander is going to second grade and will not have anything to do with my matching backpack, lunchbox, trapper keeper trio! It's all under armor and Nike.

Lauren said...

Haircuts!

I used to always get a BTS haircut and felt so fancy the first day.

*I might still do it.

Slightly Askew Designs said...

I feel like I need to be facetimed in on the back to school breakfast this year :)

Mindy said...

The Pottery Barn backpacks wash really well. I use cold water and the gentle cycle. Then hang dry them. I bet any stains and dirt will come out. We get a new backpack every two years.

Heather Lott said...

I love the idea of a back to school breakfast! My friends will have to pick me up off the floor when I send my daughter to Kindergarten! I'm not ready! So, did you bring your little ones to breakfast with you too?

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

I loved going back and looking at all your favorite back to school recipes! Definitely need to check some of those out! The back to school breakfast with friends sounds like the perfect thing to do after drop off!

Sara Fehrenbacher said...

The idea of a back to school breakfast is so fun!! I love that idea!

JenBelzer said...

As you mentioned I am kind a late to order a PB Backpack for my daughter but I am going to do it today because they are 20% off. However, I am unsure if I should order the Small or Large? My daughter just turned 8 and is going into 2nd grade. Help!!!!

Elaine Welte said...

We've managed to make our backpacks last two years and I'm so grateful! But this year was Gretchens turn to get a new one! Love PBKs backpacks!

Meagan Ruse said...

Girl, I'm going to be a hot mess at our annual breakfast!

Laci Murray said...

My daughter is SO hard on everything so I have to put her PBK backpack in the tub and scrub the germs and dirt off every year. Normally over Christmas Break. The tub is always a dirty mess when I am done. But I have to say they do wash and dry well. Enjoy your new school year! My daughter has joined the "I'm too cool for a PB backpack" this year. Sigh..............

Mindy said...

Get the Large! My daughter had the large for 1st to 4th grade. We get a new one every two years. Her current one now is from Lands End.

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

We love PB bookbags! We just got our son his first one last year and it still looks brand new after one year of use! So great that he can use it again this coming year!

Luvs2Travl said...

My boys were too cool for PBK backpacks but I loved their layout and quality. Thankfully, PB TEEN has the same backpacks, slightly larger with cool patterns!

Thanks for the tip they can be washed! I have put the lunch boxes in the dishwasher on the top rack but have never washed the backpacks - and mine are several years old! They really hold up!

Leigh (Balancing By Faith) said...

I am totally adding a "back to school breakfast" for my girlfriends and I this year - great idea!! Also, we get Pottery Barn backpacks and ours are also disgusting at year end, but a little spray and wash and the washing machine and they are as good as new!! They wash really well!

Leah Hall said...

As a 1st grade teacher, we love Velcro too!!! I also love those Monkey Bar Buddies. I am going to have to share that with my mommas who ask me about shorts under dresses and skirts. Enjoyed reading this post!!

Charla Liedahl said...

Wash your kids backpacks and they will LAST!!! My son is going into 4th grade this year and this is his SIXTH year with the same Eddie Bauer backpack (he's had it since PreK!) It looks brand new (and it's even light blue!) and I think I spent maybe $40 on it...in 2011. Oxy clean to the rescue!

Megan said...

So much fun!! How is it back to school time already!?!

Moms' Coffee Date said...

Thanks for the tip on the shoes! I hopped right on over to the Nordstrom website and picked up a pair of the ballet flats for my daughter! And I love your back to school breakfast! That looks like a blast with a lot of great ladies! Thanks for the linkup opportunity!

Megan @ Letting In The Light Blog said...

Also chiming in on washing the backpacks! I throw the backpacks and lunch boxes in the laundry with towels regularly. Hang to dry and they are as good as new!

stacy said...

We love these water bottles! Keeps their water cold for the whole day. And they come in all colors and lots of different characters too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017ILBHU/ref=gwm_tlc_pi?pf_rd_p=8a89d6cc-6768-4927-9476-0d5144805ddd&pf_rd_s=grid-6&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=EYJ21QE166YJ86SBN0JB