Thursday, July 14, 2016

Try Everything

Have you guys seen this?
Zootopia is Disney's latest movie.

Zootopia is a busy city with citizens ranging from rhinos to sloths.  Judy Hopps, a cute little rabbit, decides she's going to become the first rabbit to join the police force. Judy is partnered with a sly fox and they must figure out how to work together while taking down some bad guys.
  
The first time I saw it I thought-"cute movie".  I didn't give it much thought other than that.  But it's been playing on repeat at our house and I've had plenty of time to form some thoughts.

Early on in the movie, Judy, the rabbit, decides she's going to really go for it.  Her parents aren't fully on board, but she heads for the city and this song begins playing...


If you haven't heard it, you should TOTALLY listen. :)


Here are the lyrics:

I messed up tonight, I lost another fight
I still mess up but I'll just start again
I keep falling down, I keep on hitting the ground
I always get up now to see what's next

Birds don't just fly, they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

I won't give up, no I won't give in
Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail
I won't give up, no I won't give in
Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail

Look at how far you've come, you filled your heart with love
Baby you've done enough that cut your breath
Don't beat yourself up, don't need to run so fast
Sometimes we come last, but we did our best

I won't give up, no I won't give in
Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail
I won't give up, no I won't give in
Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail

I'll keep on making those new mistakes
I'll keep on making them every day
Those new mistakes

I totally had a "mom moment" when listening to the song.  Don't we want this for our kids?  Now, I'm definitely not talking sex and drugs!  But we want them to step outside of their little comfort zones to try out for the select soccer team.  Or we want them to audition for a solo in the new musical.  Maybe we just want them to take the initiative and make some new friends this year.  No matter how it applies to each child, we want them to get out there.  The steps don't have to be big, but we don't want fear to hold them back.

Tab and I are totally the parents who are literally pushing our kids onto the roller coaster.  We know the second they're on they'll love it, but they're just nervous to take the first step.  Aren't we all?  :)

This doesn't just apply to kids, but to us all really.  Start up that business you've been dreaming of, go back to night school to get that degree, or whatever the case may be...go for it.

Today, I just want to encourage you guys in whatever phase of life you're in to TRY EVERYTHING or maybe you're the one who needs to be pushing your kids to TRY EVERYTHING.  Either way, let's make our days count.

Don't forget-if you're local and a fan girl like me, Erin Condren will be in Frisco tonight!

My new planner arrived a couple weeks ago, and I LOVE it!

Hope you girls have the best day!  :)

14 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

What an encouraging word this morning! I know that I needed to hear it myself and I'm sure others did too. xo

Brantlee Morgan said...

I loved Zootopia! Such a cute movie with a great message. So wish I were local to attend the E.C. meet up. You should get her to autograph your planner. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Katie Compton said...

I love that you posted this song!! I teach 2nd grade and my big end of year project is a slide show of pictures of our school year. I share it with the kids and families and it's always one of my favorite things to work on. I always have an ear open for good songs to use... when I saw Zootopia and heard this song I immediately added it to my notes on my phone. It was perfect for our end of year slide show and the kids loved it! I put it in between the song "Brand New" by Ben Rector and "Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons!

Narci said...

So encouraging, friend! And, so true!!

Mary Jorgensen said...

Best kids movie ever! I think the message is uplifting for both kids and parents. Set your goals high and don't give up! Awesome post today!!!

Mrs W said...

Thank you for posting this, sometimes I feel like it's the other way around. For example, my daughter is 3 but she would love to jump off the diving board but we told her she's too little still. So she asked ME to do it for her! I'm not a huge fan of diving boards but I did it for her, I felt like I had to show her that her mom, even though she was scared she still did it. And you know what she said after I did it? She said, "Good job! I'm so proud of you!!" I will never forget those little words! :)

Olivia said...

I had a friend encourage me to start my Etsy shop 3 years ago and I would have never imagined it would be what it is for me in this stage of life. I'm not a huge risk taker (I like to analyze the risks more) :), but her encouragement helped me start it and I'm so glad I did. I stepped out on a limb to invest in my blog now, so hopefully I'll be singing the same tune soon. And I usually don't say hi to strangers but glad I said hi to you in the church parking lot that day :) Great post!

Keeping up with Parrish's said...

I totally needed this!

Leigh (Balancing By Faith) said...

You need to read My Best Yes - by Lysa Terkehurst!! The first few chapters are all about this - and using the extra time you don't think you have in the day (but really do) to go for the things you want to do and how to decipher between decisions. Great read!

Erika Slaughter said...

I started I started reading this and then we moved and I stopped. I need to find that book and finish!!

Unknown said...

As long as it's loving it's great to push your kids! They need to learn not all things are comfortable! Good job mom & dad!

Emily: Three boys and a girl blog said...

this is seriously Jack's absolute favorite movie right now. Like we start it a dozen times of the course of a few days. It's in my car as we speak. I love this song and It's constantly in my head! the movie is so cute and actually so funny for adults. This was a great post and super uplifting!

Dottie (@crazyfitmommy) said...

I totally needed to hear this today! My husband and I are waffling about how soon we can open our business (a martial arts school) because we're a little nervous about the financial implications of him quitting his job and doing this full time, but I really feel like it will be so amazing for our family. Calculated risks can be amazing, I'm just praying this will be too! :)

Brooke Richardson said...

Love it! I was super excited when I realized I missed your blog from Thursday so I had 2 to read this morning :)