Thursday, August 18, 2016

2016 Backyard Olympics

We've been doing our best to pack every last bit of summer fun we can into our last week of summer vacation.  On Tuesday, we made plans to swim with our neighbors but the weather wasn't giving us the swimming vibe.  So at the last minute my neighbors mentioned doing a little Backyard Olympics instead.  I've mentioned before how amazing our neighbors are and this post will just prove it.  They came up with ALL the fun we had on Tuesday.  They're amazing!

Welcome to the 2016 Backyard Olympics:

This sign was front and center when we entered their backyard.

I mean...do these Olympians look tough or what?  ;)

Tab was working a local college's scrimmage and Nixon decided to go with him.  Nixon had fun watching football and running around the field, BUT he missed out on some Olympics.  The truth is-I didn't know they were pulling out all the stops or I would have encouraged him to stay.

First event...CANOEING.
We canoed across the lake to some other friends' house.  I don't have any pictures because for space purposes I rode on the paddle board.  I was just trying to keep from falling in.  No way I had enough balance for a picture.  #truth

Next up...LAGOON SWIMMING.
These are sweet friends of our neighbors who let us borrow their pool.  It's two-story and one area has a waterfall, so everyone was excited about getting in.  Their backyard view is gorgeous!

Remember yesterday I was celebrating our cooler temperatures?  Well, this is how Bowen felt about cool pool water.  He's used to the pool feeling like his bathtub.  #spoiled

These girls didn't seem to mind.  :)

Up next....CLIFF DIVING.
Way safer than legit cliff diving I should add.

I'm pretty sure they thought they were taking home the gold.

Bowen and I on the canoe back to our neighborhood.  You're welcome for making that picture black/white.  ha!  No one wanted to see me in the bright sunlight with no make-up!  

LUNCH TIME:
We carb loaded like all great Olympians do with macaroni and cheese and grapes.  We actually took an intermission for all Olympians to take a quick nap before the afternoon games.

First event of the afternoon games...ARCHERY.
Ebby Lee won the gold in this event-hands down.  

These two were talking strategy.

I'm pretty sure my arrow was headed straight for the grass somewhere.

Here's the proof.  :)

TRAMPOLINE JUMPING:
Everyone showed us a trick or two.

Bowen seemed to be enjoying himself.  haha!

One of the last events of the day....SHOT PUT.
We used balls from a bocce ball set.  The balls were a little heavy but not too heavy for the kids to throw.

My favorite event of the day...WATERMELON SEED SPITTING.
We ALL wanted a turn in this event.  #mykindofevent

Our only casualty of the day...this sweet girl got a seed right to the cheek.  She didn't seem to mind one bit.

RUNNING:
We started with a fifty-yard dash.

And ended with a one hundred-yard dash.

Last event of the day...PADDLE BOARDING.
Ebby Lee is a BIG fan of the paddle board as long as her mama isn't on there with her.  #ihavenobalance

Seriously, an AWESOME day filled with tons of outdoor fun!!

You could do this for your family, neighbors, etc.  They just found things they already had-bow and arrow, paddle board, etc.  Then they came up with fun ways to make most events a little competitive.  Super easy and my kiddos had SO MUCH FUN.  And I did too.  :)

Happy Thursday!

16 comments:

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!! Y'alls neighbors are awesome! And I'm with B on the pool water, it shocked me when I got in this week! #givemebathwater

Erika Slaughter said...

They are!!! And I can't blame him...I feel the same way about pool water. :)

Mix and Match Mama said...

I mean...I have no words. How unbelievably sweet/fun/special/cool! What a fantastic day!

Erika Slaughter said...

:)

Megan @ Letting In The Light Blog said...

What a fun day! And watermelon seed spitting would definitely be a favorite.

Narci said...

How fun is that?? Also, girl! You look legit with that bow!!! :)

Erika Powell said...

What a great idea and it looks so fun!

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

So stinking fun! !

kelly said...

Great idea!!

Kelli Beason said...

What a fun idea!!!

Olivia said...

That's pretty cool! :) I'm in awe over that backyard!

Queen In Between said...

So..much...fun!!!!

The Rodriguez Crew said...

Your commentary is always my favorite!! "straight for the grass somewhere...." hahaha!!!

Megan said...

Such a fun day!!!!

Claudia Justalittleblush said...

What a cute idea! Sounds like it was a blast

Amanda said...

This looks like so much fun!! The sweet girl with the watermelon seed on her face cracked me up though. Poor thing. Such fun neighbors!!