Thursday, October 20, 2016

Going to the Chapel...

Today, we're actually talking WEDDING!  

I thought it'd be fun to take a trip down memory lane to share our wedding with you.  One of our neighbors is getting married and we've been chatting all things wedding lately.  She's been undecided about bridesmaid dresses, so she asked what my bridesmaids wore.  I instantly started laughing.  I thought at the time my bridesmaid dresses were so cute!  But the second she asked, I realized either-they weren't too cute OR (this is the one I'm hoping for) they're out of style for today's wedding.  Kind of like when someone asks about what you wore to prom, you wouldn't be caught dead in it now, but it was super cute back then?  That's what I'm hoping!  ha!

I should say in 2016, I'd do it all very differently, but in 2005-it was the perfect day!

Now aren't you guys dying to see the bridesmaid dresses?  :)

A little timeline...
*June 2004-Tab and Erika begin officially dating.
*December 2004-Tab graduates and moves to Dallas, TX.
*February 2005-Tab proposes. 
*July 30, 2005-WEDDING DAY
*July 31, 2005-Tab and Erika drove to Dallas to begin married life.
*August 6-Honeymoon-we gave ourselves a buffer to move.

Wedding Date-You'll see in the timeline there wasn't a ton of extra time floating around for me when planning this wedding.  Especially considering I was about three hours away at college.  So we chose our wedding date based on what was available.  July 30th happened to be the ONLY date the reception site was open so we went with it!

Wedding Venue-Tab and I wanted to get married in a church, but the church where my parents lived was an hour away from all reception sites and yada yada.  We decided to get married in a church in the bigger town-closer to reception options.  This worked out great except we have/had zero ties to this church.  Other than-hey look kids, it's the church mom and dad got married in.  If I was getting married today, I'd opt for one great location for both the wedding ceremony and the reception.

Wedding Reception-I'd gone to another reception at this location and liked it.  At the time, there weren't a ton of options.  But...having Tab's people coming in from out of town we didn't need a HUGE area.  So we chose a cute little spot that fit our needs and it worked out great!

Photographer-WHOA!  If I had it to do over, this would be the first guy I scrapped.  haha!  Trust me, you'll agree when you get to the pictures.  This is another, "at the time" things...but we got married right in the middle of more actual photography studios and less photographers without storefronts.  Does that make sense?  I remember heading to this particular photographer's studio with my mom and definitely not falling in love, but not having any other option.  Therefore...the great pictures you're gonna see today.

Caterer-This was hands-down my best wedding decision.  I don't know who found our caterer...mom, aunt, or someone else, but Mrs. Peggy was fabulous!  She did tables and tables of heavy appetizers.  Definitely enough to make a meal, but she had the food tables looking gorgeous!  Bonus-the food was so yummy!

Flowers-Yeah, that was kind of a bit of a fail as well.  haha!  There were some things I really cared about and other things that weren't as important.  The flowers weren't really important to me when I was planning.  However, after the fact I realize I should have had more of an opinion.  I'll never forget someone passing out the bridesmaids' bouquets, we all looked at each other and began laughing.  I'm pretty sure I could have snipped some flowers out of a yard and they might have looked better.  Oh my!  They were BARE!  

All that to say, our wedding was SO MUCH FUN!  We wanted everyone to have a good time and I definitely think we accomplished it.  :)  For ladies in the midst of wedding planning, remember the important part is that you, your new hubby, and everyone in attendance has a great time.  It doesn't take a ton of money to make that happen.  

I was trying to think of something my mom and I really disagreed on when planning.  She might remember a good story.  I remember thinking without these certain slipcovers I desperately wanted for the reception, it just wasn't going to be nice.  My mom was a big "no" on the slipcovers-isn't it funny what we remember?  But I must tell you, the day of the wedding the slipcovers didn't cross my mind.  ha!

Okay, now on to the pictures... (I just took cell phone pictures of the actual pictures so they're not the best quality-but you get the idea.)






 To my family...you're welcome for posting this.  :)



 Yes, yes I did have my bridesmaids wear the same dress-just different colors!  I saw this wedding magazine with pictures where the wedding party all had fun bright colors and I loved it.  So that's what we did.  At the time, no one groaned and complained but maybe they were just being nice.  haha!  Or....hopefully, it was cute then but just way more 2005, then 2016?





This is exactly what I remember...lots of people dancing and everyone having a good time.  No one's gonna remember the slipcovers but they will remember the fun had by all.  :)

Happy Day, Friends!

20 comments:

Leslie said...

Love this post! It's like you're the one who started the "same but different" bridesmaids dress trend! Very fun!

http://withlovefromgablog.blogspot.com

kelly said...

Such an adorable bride!!
I think you had what's called a Rainbow wedding with all the bridesmaids in the same dress but different colored dresses. My photographer was a nightmare too even though we paid top dollar! We didn't have Google reviews back then. haha

Sarah Shaneyfelt said...

Having a blast at your wedding is the most important thing, and you're right, the only thing people will remember! We got married 2 years ago and people still tell us our wedding was the funnest (?) one they've ever been to!
Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

Mix and Match Mama said...

I love this post!! Okay, if I could redo my wedding, the photographer would be the first to go too. Why is that?!?! And isn't it a shame??? Because the pictures are kind of super important. Also, how did I not know about the sherbet dresses? That picture of you with your bridesmaids is very pretty! I loved seeing some of your friends/cousins circa 2005 too :).

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

What a fun trip down memory lane! I definitely think those bridesmaid dresses were "in" at the time.

Narci said...

Oh I loved this! All of the dresses are actually cute considering the timeframe! Your wedding dress is so pretty too! Also, everyone I've ever talked to has hated their wedding photographer. The chapel in Vegas where we got married include a marriage and pictures by Merlin the magician included in our package so we felt like we got an awesome deal! Hahahaha!

michelle said...

We got married on 7/30/2005 too! My dress and hair were very similar to yours! I remember 9 out of 10 dresses were strapless then :) I'm thankful I got married before pinterest, I think that would be so overwhelming. But a few more options would have been okay, haha!

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Oh I love this post!!! So 2003 had similar photography challenges. We paid a crazy amount for this weirdo who I believe was high at every shoot we did. And soooo many of the pics came out terrible! Like really, really bad. I would get married again just to hire a new photographer. LOVED your dress - looked very similar to mine. Everyone got married in strapless then. Funny how things change!

Laci Murray said...

I was in a wedding in 2002 and we all wore different color dresses so I think that was the "thing" back then! It's so funny looking back what was in style. Pictures have come a LONG way since 2005!!! You were a beautiful bride and everyone had fun, I call that a win!

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

I met my hubby and got married 6 weeks later and moved to a completely different country. ..16yrs and 3 kiddos later we are still here! ... but I swear if my kids do that I might strangle them! I ( and I mean my parents) still pulled off a full traditional English wedding Inc rolls Royce and everything.
I love a good wedding but I think anyone that got married before pintrest should be allowed a redo haha

Elaine Welte said...

Our photographer lost all of DJs before the wedding pictures. We have one of him and his groomsmen. That was when film was switching to digital and I believe they accidentally deleted everything but said the lost the camera card. So yeah, is definitely choose a new photographer!

Kjlb37 said...

I love this! We just celebrated our 36th wedding anniversary this week and I can tell you that I remember very little of the wedding planning. I think I blocked it all out. Our photographer was a friend of the family. Can you say Big. Mistake? Oh well, my daughter got married three years ago so I got to redeem myself a little with her wedding. She had a great photographer:)And btw, you were a beautiful bride!

JMB said...

I hated our photographer, as a person. The pictures were awesome and she was very sweet at our meetings. The day if she spoke to her assistant like she was a slave and she was just so shrill and mean. It was very hard to witness. Everyone spoke kindly to the asst the whole time, probably because they were just as horrified. No yelp or Angie's review then.

Olivia said...

Beautiful then and beautiful now! You look like you haven't changed at all. :) I remember you telling me about those dresses, but I'm so glad I got to see a picture (they're not AS bad as you think..totally in during that time). I'm sure anyone who got married pre-Pinterest has things they'd do over. So many things I'd do differently.

Kendra Powell said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I am getting married on November 5th to my high school sweetheart! I think your wedding was definitely in style in 2005 :). Thanks for the great advice!

Casey said...

I didn't like my photographer or pictures either. And your dress looks just like mine! Part of me wishes there had been Pinterest 10 years ago but then most of me is thankful there wasn't. Too many options. And I'm sure that my parents wallets are glad there was no Pinterest! Ha!

Perfectly Port said...

Your slipcover comment made me laugh because it was the one thing my mom and I disagreed on as well. I was a little irked my sister got the pretty fancy gold chairs at her wedding, winning that argument her time around. Alas I agree, I didn't think of the slipcovers once on the day of ;)!!!! Fun post

Amanda said...

I think we had matching weddings. I'm going to dig up some pics to text you!!

Meagan Ruse said...

You looked gorgeous!!! But you know that bridesmaid picture is my favorite:) Oh how I wish Tim and I could have another wedding now, but it would be way more expensive! Our pianist couldn't play our music. She messed up several times so now when we watch the video it's all I can think about!

Bfg78 said...

I see weddings now & think they will definitely regret dress/hair in 10 years bc that's what changes (on women, especially) tuxes are tuxes I got married 5 years ago & didn't want a strapless gown bc I never wear strapless but I loved the dress other than that & it looked funny to add fabric for straps. Plus my hair is long so I wore it down anyway so it wasn't big deal! In July you def had to wear your hair up!;)