Thursday, November 10, 2016

New York City-Part 2

I'm back today with the second part of our New York trip.  
In case you missed it, Part 1 is here.

Saturday morning we woke early to head over to West Point. I'm not sure what town we were staying in, but it was about a 20-30 minute drive.  We were told the traffic can get crazy so all the wives and families decided to go early, follow the shuttle, and beat the traffic.  It worked!  

I was nominated to drive the van full of children.  It was perfect!  We turned the music up loud and sang the whole way.


Good luck, boys!


Since we were approximately THREE HOURS EARLY!  EEK!  We found this open practice field next to the stadium and the kids played and played.  Good thing Nixon still had his football.  Right?  ;)


We were in the perfect spot to see all the cheerleaders march in.


All of her little seven-year-old dreams came true in this picture!

At this point, it was pretty chilly outside but these three were running around so much they were sweating.

The scenery at West Point is AMAZING!  I can't say it enough.



Wives' picture!  :)

Tab took this down on the field and sent it to me.


Tab and Reggie....if you ever see Tab's crew reffing a game, Reggie is the "white hat" or referee on the crew.

Outside Army's locker room.


Outside the locker room...Tab of course took these as well.  I wasn't the creepy girl hanging out by the locker room.  ha!

These police officers were so sweet and made the kiddos feel so special.


I don't remember what the street was called right outside the stadium, but there were tons of fun things to do.  We happened to be walking through right as the team and coaches were coming in, so we high-fived them on their way into the stadium.

Then we played a little rugby with the Army rugby team.

They lifted the kiddos up...


And then threw the ball up to them to catch.

These girls were so sweet. 




We watched this band for a few minutes.  They performed at half-time and sang, Thriller.  It was great!
Then I ran into Erin!  Erin and her husband met on Singles Day years ago on Kelly's blog!  Isn't that awesome?!  Erin was the sweetest.  I'm so glad we met up and chatted for a few minutes.


Then Nixon climbed the rock wall like a boss.


Bless her heart...this was as high as Ebby Lee got.  The helper on the other side was pulling kids to the top, but the guy on her side wasn't.  She's so my daughter.

See what I mean?

Bowen didn't have to do any work.  The nice guy just pulled him to the top!  


Ready for the big game!

Air Force and Army are big rivals so they pulled out all the stops for this match up.

We spotted this cutie before the game started.  Bowen was already in his seat begging another wife for popcorn.

Bowen's face says it all.  haha!


See those six tiny specks in the sky?  Those are parachuters.  I thought there would be no possible way they'd make it from SO FAR AWAY, but they landed safely on the 50-yard-line!


The jumpers were from both Air Force and Army.  So cool!


We spotted Tab on the big screen.






The game was a blast!  We couldn't have asked for better weather.  I've never been to a game before when fans aren't hollering at the officials.  Until now.  The crowd was so respectful of each other.  It was so cool to witness.  At the end both teams took turns going over to each other's bands and listening to their fight songs. Just a really cool experience.


Look who made it on TV!!  My parents were watching the game and sent me this picture.  It made Ebby Lee's day!  

Then we hopped in our mini van, drove back to the city, dropped off the rental, and hopped on the subway to head back to our hotel.  We stayed at the same hotel Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday nights.  They were super cool and kept some of our luggage for us so we didn't have to haul it all.  It was the Courtyard Marriott at Herald Square.  (Right across from Macy's)


Her view from the window seat. :)

We freshened up a bit to head to dinner.  I must tell you I had that beanie on all day...like 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and when I took it off I had the BIGGEST rat's nest of tangles I've ever seen.  I contemplated just cutting my hair.  It was that bad.  I was sweating by the time I was finished!


I hadn't made dinner reservations on Saturday night because I wasn't sure how long it would take us to get back to the city, drop off the car, etc.  But we had heard from several people that Stella 34 Trattoria located on the sixth floor of Macy's was good.  The location for us couldn't have been better so we tried it out!


We only had about a fifteen minute wait for our table.

I had a spicy pepperoni pizza and it was DELICIOUS!!


We ended the night with some yogurt and a little football watching before we crashed!

Sunday was our last full day in the city!

Our plan was a quick walk over to Rockefeller Center...
I was loving the outside of Lord and Taylor's...so pretty!


The New York City Public Library was on the way as well.


I had all the heart eyes for those mums in front of the library!  GORGEOUS!

We were starving so we hopped into an Irish pub that served Sunday brunch.

My Irish Eggs Benedict were so good.  Nixon told us this was his favorite meal.  Know what he ate?  A grilled cheese and fries!  ha!


We watched the skaters.


And then saw this amazing Lego replica of the Rockefeller Center.


Sak's front display wasn't disappointing either.


St. Patrick's Cathedral was absolutely stunning!


Our plan was a carriage ride through Central Park, but because of the New York City Marathon rides weren't taking place inside the park.  Instead we rode the carriage, down and around Park Avenue.






So worth it!  One of their favorite parts of the trip!

Then we popped into the Plaza Hotel to check out the food court area on the bottom floor.


There was every kind of food you can imagine.  Ebby Lee had hot chocolate, the boys had cupcakes, and I had a strawberry and Nutella crepe.  I wanted to try the homemade pasta and the lobster rolls as well.


A majority of the park was closed due to the race.  We were going to head back to the park, but decided not to.


Instead we walked around Time Square to take it all in.


The Disney store was Bowen's fave.  :)

Then we went to the hotel to get cleaned up before dinner and show time!

We had dinner reservations for Tony's Di Napoli in Time Square.  You guys all recommended Carmine's, where Shay and I actually went on our trip.  I loved it!  Carmine's was full!  So I found this restaurant which was super similar to Carmine's.  Family style Italian food and super yummy!  It didn't disappoint!


And this picture because we're super classy.  :)


Our crew was READY for ALADDIN!



We had front row balcony seats and they were fabulous!  Since no one was in front of us the kiddos could see everything!

If you're heading to NYC to see a show, I highly recommend Aladdin!  It was SO good!



My friend, Katie, happens to be Aladdin's real-life sister-in-law, so she set us up to go meet him after the show.  Aladdin (also known as Adam) was so nice showing the kiddos backstage.  They even got to rub the genie's lamp!  

Tab's dad works random weeks in New York and he happened to be arriving in the city on Sunday night.  He met us after the show to grab some dessert before we parted ways.  I took a picture, but someone had their eyes closed.  You can see him checking out the props.  

We had an AMAZING time!  The weather, the city, the people, it just couldn't have been better!  We made some amazing memories and will forever remember our visit to New York in the fall!

I have one more New York post coming up answering any questions.  If you have any about the trip, please leave them and I'll be sure to answer.  Thank you!  :)

23 comments:

Mix and Match Mama said...

Erika, this post was so good! First of all, I now want to got to West Point. #notsurethatspossible The pictures were just so pretty. And I love your last day in NYC! Everything you did looked so festive and fun!!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

WHAT A FUN TRIP! Loved seeing everything you did, but I have to tell you, I panicked about your hair story after taking off the beanie. I had a similar story after having on a big scarf all day (and not wearing my hair in a pony tail). I had NO IDEA how I was ever going to get out like a 2 inch section of tangles. It was under my hair, so I SERIOUSLY contemplated cutting it off too! It took me forever to work it out! Anyway, great trip recap!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank you!! We really had the best time!

Erika Slaughter said...

I can only imagine. When I took the beanie off, I felt the tangles but I showed tab and his face. I'll never forget his face. Hahahaha!! It took me a sweet forever to brush it all out. Ugh! It was awful!

Narci said...

What a fun trip, friend! I love those mums in front of the library also! So pretty!!!! Xo

Erika Slaughter said...

Narci...you would have been in mum heaven! They were SO pretty! :)

Lisa @ Pork Chop and Possum said...

Wow! Your trip sounds amazing! I have loved reading these re-caps!

Megan @ Letting In The Light Blog said...

Such a fun trip! What would you say was each of your kids favorite part of NYC? We have been kicking around the idea of going since Owen has been obsessed with wanting to visit New York lately.

Erin (No Bohns About It) said...

So excited you guys saw Aladdin! My husband built the sets for it :-) such a great show!

Kjlb37 said...

Wow! You packed a lot into those couple days. Job well done:) Your kiddo's will have such great memories of their NYC trip. We would love to take our boys there sometime soon so I'm taking notes of restaurants etc. :).

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank you!

Erika Slaughter said...

We discussed this over dinner when we were back...
Ebby Lee's favorite was the Empire State Building.
Nixon's favorite was the football game and Central Park. Bowen's favorite was the Disney Store. My favorite was Central Park and the show.

Erika Slaughter said...

That is awesome!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

We never had a bad meal. I'd recommend them all.

Melissa Goetz said...

I absolutely love new york and have been multiple times before kids...Next fall we were thinking of going for a long weekend and our daughter will be 2. good idea or bad? I have always stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Times Square but the thought of a stroller in Times Square and the crowd seems nuts. Advice please!

Dianna said...

Between your family trip to NYC and Shay's I feel like I should be planning a trip there. But I never thought that is somewhere I would take my boys.

Laci Murray said...

This makes me want to leave work, grab my family, and head to NYC!!!!

Marla Slaughter said...

One of the best posts ever! I'll be going with Gary in December so I'm taking some of these ideas with me! We try to do something new on every trip! He'll be working on most days so I see some shopping in my future!

Kerry Forristall said...

Erika, quick question, did your family of 5 fit in one hotel room or did you have two rooms? I'm always on the lookout for hotel rooms that can accommodate our family of 5:) Looks like you had a blast in NYC!

Ani said...

Such a fun little vacation! New York is a great city to travel alone, as a couple or with children - there is something for everyone! So glad you all loved Aladdin - the special effects are jaw dropping :)

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

Oh Erika, I want to go back so badly!! Hubs and I have been to NYC three times and the last time we went was in December at Christmas time. It was so magical. I guess we need to plan another trip!

Erin Stache said...

Yay! I'm so glad we got to meet up! I'm going to have to check out this little restaurant at Macy's when we go in for Christmas shopping! Glad you guys had a great time at West Point!

SarahN said...

How fun! We got backstage at Aladdin with Adam Jacobs too and had the BEST time! At the time, his sister Arielle, was Nessa Rose in Wicked so we got to go backstage with her too. It was fun to see your pic in the exact spot we have our pic too!