Thursday, December 15, 2016

Day in the Life

I had written down a "Day in the Life" post for one day this week.  My plan was to document my Monday and I didn't remember until 10:30 a.m. on Monday, so I decided to try for Tuesday. Little did I know Tuesday would be an exciting day!

My alarm was set for 5:00 a.m.  I usually lay in bed for a few minutes and read blogs as my eyes adjust to the world.  :)

And I know some of you are 😠😠😠 about my messages, e-mails, and calls while others are 😁😁😁 totally understanding me.

I get up every morning and go around the house plugging in Christmas lights.

I was such a fan of Because of Bethlehem by Max Lucado that I ordered this one, In the Manger.  It's split into twenty-five devotions preparing you for Christmas.  I started on the 7th, so I just had to catch up.

I woke these cuties up and they went straight to their Lego Advent calendars.  I've been getting these for the kids for about three years.  This is the first year Bowen has received his own.  He needs help, but they love waking up to open their legos.  

On this particular day my Angel Tree gifts were due and I'd procrastinated wrapping them.  At 7:00 a.m. I was wrapping so I could drop off on time.

Shay dropped off this cutie at my house so I could take them to preschool.  Last year we started carpooling to preschool and it was one of the best decisions.  We save so much time!

We took a quick picture once we arrived in the parking lot.  :)

I had a couple things to return to the mall, pick up at the mall, etc. and in between errands I grabbed my favorite mall tacos.

While I ate my phone charged because...ugh my phone!

I had checked the gifts to make sure the kids were even and Ebby Lee was lacking so I made up for it at the mall.

Next stop was The Container Store.  We're doing some rearranging in the bedrooms upstairs.  The boys are going to share a room, Ebby Lee is switching rooms (and getting new furniture), and the other bedroom is going to be a toy room.  On this particular day, my upstairs looked like a HOT MESS!  Marla came over yesterday and helped me attempt to get it under control.  I have a few more things to do, but the progress is happening.  So thankful for Marla!!

I picked up the big kids and Bowen at 3:00 and we all headed into my office.  I had to get some work done and the kids made some art projects for me while I worked.

I try to be finished with everything by the time they're home, but if you're like me...the week before Christmas there's just not enough time in the day.  So, they chilled while I worked.

Nixon is not usually feeling this kind of thing, but on Tuesday he was into it.

After the art/work session, we went upstairs and I put together (Yes, please read again because I'm super proud of myself-ha) two of those Elfa drawer systems from The Container Store.  They were SO easy to put together!  I know there will be tons of switching rooms in the future so I didn't want to commit to something big, bulky, or expensive.  These drawer systems totally fit the bill.  We put one in the boy room closet and one in the toy room closet.

We were meeting the Shulls in downtown McKinney for dinner and then a quick stop at Landry Kate/Lowe Co's pop-up shop.  Shay was coming from one side of town,  Andrew was coming from the other, and Tab told me he wouldn't have enough time to stop by the house to get us so we were all coming in different cars.  Shay offered to pick us up since we were in the same area and she drove us.

We ate at our favorite pizza place on the square, Cadillac Pizza.  Nixon is super into some football game on his IPad and he asked me Tuesday morning to charge his IPad so he could show Smith.  ha!

After dinner we stopped over at Landry Kate to shop.  The husbands took the kiddos outside to keep the crazy out.  I should add I'm CLUELESS that anything is happening at this point.  

We go out to get everyone and we all start walking to the parking lot.  Everyone kind of stops beside this car with a big bow on it and I say, "Oh, look someone got a new car for Christmas".  Then they all scream, "MERRY CHRISTMAS!!".  It was SO SO sweet!  Tab Slaughter did GREAT this year.  I told him I'm expecting my own private jet next year.  ha!  We laughed and he would completely agree with this...he either is OVER THE TOP with presents or he sinks.  This year...no doubt he was a ROCKSTAR!

Shay knew what was happening so she grabbed her phone to get a couple pictures.

I was jumping so they're a bit blurry.  :)

WAHOO!!!  This is how our night ended!!  We drove around town enjoying the new wheels.

Who knew when I woke up on Tuesday and began documenting this day that it'd end with such a big surprise?!  So glad I captured my December 13th. 

Happy Thursday, Friends!  XO

38 comments:

Simply Stephens said...

Sounds like a busy, but super fun day!! I have always wanted to be that person to walk out to a new car or handed car keys, that's AWESOME!! What did you get?

Erika Slaughter said...

A Suburban :)

Megan @ Letting In The Light Blog said...

I love day in the life posts! Such a fun day to have documented. Way to go Tab! I totally get your iPhone notifications. I currently have over a thousand unread emails. Yikes!

http://www.lettinginthelightblog.com

Leslie said...

Congrats!! What an amazing gift!!

christiking said...

What a fun day!! Those are the best surprises no matter tiny or extra large like this! The fact that they thought of you and made it happen by their own doing ahhh. I am so car challenged ~ you'lol have to tell us what fun ride you have and you "mom thoughts" on it.

Lisa said...

You should get timers for your tree and Christmas lights! Set them to come on when you wake up, go off during the day, come back on in the afternnoon, and back off before bed..you get the gist, ha! I love it when all the lights come on!! Just a little tip to make life a little easier :-)

Mix and Match Mama said...

SUCH A FUN DAY!!!! I loved how you snapped that picture of us in the car and was like "I'm documenting a day in the life" and I was all like "yeah, I think this is going to be a good day to document". Bahahahaha! So, so, so, so much fun! I can't wait until you get that private jet next year ;).

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

SO! FUN! Ever since I was a kid seeing those commercials with a car with a big bow on the top, I've wanted it to happen to me. It hasn't yet. THERE'S STILL TIME, CHRIS!!!!

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Eeeek! What a big day for you!!! {Sends link of this post to Matt at work ;) }

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

So awesome!!! What a great gift - like Sheaffer, all I can think about are all those commercials. I have always wanted a new car with a big bow on it. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Megan-SOUL SISTERS!!! :)

Leslie-thank you!

Christi-Absolutely, ANYTHING he does that shows it took some planning on his part sends me over the moon! Seriously!

Lisa-Brilliant idea! We have that for our outdoor lights but not on the inside.

Shay-YES! I remember you saying that and I just thought you meant because we were having dinner?! ha!

Sheaffer-Don't worry Chris has LOTS of time!!! :)

Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams said...

I love these posts! How fun that it was a day you were getting a big Christmas surprise, Congrats!!
Xo
Amanda

http://www.cupcakendreams.com/

Dustie Day said...

Erika-do you use those Elfa systems for lego storage? Our lego storage is out of control! :) Just wondering if they work well or not.

Narci said...

Perfect day in the life to document!!!! So much fun, friend!

Brooke Richardson said...

This is so fun and awesome and sweet all at the same time! Props to Shay for her role in helping this surprise to work out! And HUGE props to your hubby! You will never forget this Christmas for sure!!!!

Kathy Olson said...

That is so, so sweet! What a sweet husband to surprise you like that!

Stephanie Jennings said...

That's so cool!!! Kudos to your hubby!!! Enjoy!! Merry Christmas!!!

Bernadine said...

Did you not mention once about pulling into your driveway is such a mission? Is thos now easier or worse? Bhahaha

Erika Slaughter said...

Great question!!! Tab had to take out some shelves to make it happen. :). This is longer but it seems to be thinner so it works. Wahoo!

kayliadee said...

Erika - First off, I love your blog- such a fun, loving down to earth girl!! In reading your blog today, you mentioned going around in the morning plugging in all of your Christmas lights. I have the perfect solution:) Last year, my mother-in-law gave us a wireless remote that has three seperate plug ins. So I plug my tree into one, mantle lights to one and then another fun light up Santa. Three clicks on the remote and bam, everything is lit up. Same way to turn them off- 3 clicks and its done!. Here is one I just found on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Woods-13569-Wireless-Control-Outlets/dp/B003ZTWYXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481809688&sr=8-1&keywords=indoor+wireless+remote+control+plug+in

Hope this helps! Merry Christmas!!

Erika Slaughter said...

This is awesome!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Dustie-Nixon is not into legos so we really don't have that many. I put one system in the boys closet and I'm using it for Bowen's clothes-like a dresser. I put a smaller one in the toy closet and it has toys in the drawers.

Paula said...

Wonderful day with a perfect ending! :)

Paula said...

Do you get a new advent for the kids each each or recycle? My kids got their first this year & just wondered what folks do.

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

Sooooooohhhhh stinking fun. I got a new vehicle too and its great. . Bit mine did not come with a big bow lol... I want a bow now lol

Lisa said...

How fun, what a great memory!! Like everyone else, I've always wanted to be the girl in the big-red-bow car commercials too except my bow is supposed to be on a Land Rover!!!
I turn the Christmas lights on too, first thing! Love them in the daytime too. Happy Holidays, congrats on your awesome surprise!!

Kelsey @ The Peacock Roost said...

How awesome that this was the day you chose to document. Also, HOW SWEET of Tab to surprise you like that!! I love that everyone was in on it and you had no idea. Being truly surprised is so much fun!
Kelsey
www.thepeacockroost.com

KRISTIN TATE said...

I'm not sure why but the look on Tab's face and you on your tip toes with excitement has me a little teary! Y'all are so fun, and I love your blog.

Megan said...

Such a fun day to document!!! Yay!!! And go Tab! What a fun surprise!!!

Joe and Britt Hensley said...

How fun & exciting!! Someone was on the nice list this year!! a WTG Tab!

MWoods said...

Hi, that's an awesome gift! Where is your sweater from? I love the color!

Karen At Home said...

Way to go Tab!! What an exciting day. So happy for you :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Thanks Everyone :). My sweater is from a local boutique last year.

Kara said...

How cool is that? Enjoy your new car!

Life with Team Morris said...

So fun! Perfect day to capture. :)

Perfectly Port said...

I love these day in the life posts and how exciting to get a new car for Christmas. My husband once surprised me and brought home a new car (it wasn't Christmas) but I was so surprised!!!! Merry Christmas!

Laci Murray said...

Love the smell of a new car!!! That's a great Christmas present!!

Carrie Beth said...

I love day in the life posts, but this one was one of my favorites! What a fun surprise!!!