Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Workin' It-New Year's Goals

Happy Wednesday, Friends!

I'm so excited about today.  Our first Workin' It Wednesday of the year is finally here!  Shay and I are pumped to be joining you once a month to share (and read how you do it too) how we work to keep it together.  Let's be real some of these topics I'm going to be really good at and others I'm going to be taking all the notes from you.  ;)

Today, we're talking New Year's Goals. 

I must tell you I'm not one for setting some crazy high goals for myself that are simply unrealistic.  For instance, no chips and salsa in 2017 would probably make my jeans fit better, but that's an unrealistic goal.  NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.

I tried to brainstorm important goals that are realistic.

My Real-Gonna-Make-Them-Happen 2017 Goals:

*When it comes to blogging, I try to stay a day or two ahead of my posts so I'm not frantically typing away at night finishing a post.  I do a pretty good job of this, but in 2017 I'm going to be better.  I will stay at least one day ahead on the blog, so there are no night time blog posts happening from this girl.  It makes me nervous.  I become frantic!  I'm NOT a procrastinator.  I remember being the one student in college who would actually make an outline when the English professor told us too.  #iwasthatgirl  It also takes time away from my family at night and in 2017 it's not happening.

-How I'll WORK IT- I'm going to get up early daily to get #alltheblogging done before kids are up.  #ithinkican #ithinkican

*************************

*To go along with that, I'm shutting the work down at 2:45 p.m.  So far (we're only 11 days in) I've been making great to-do lists and listing them in order of importance.  If it's 2:45 (time to pick up the kiddos), then I'm closing my computer for the night.  Not often but some times after picking up the kids they'll go off to play and I'll find myself in my office working on vacations, blog, etc.  In 2017, I'm prioritizing my time better in order to be sure that doesn't happen.

-How I'll WORK IT- I'm going to continue sticking to my to-do lists in order of importance.  I can easily find enough things to do to keep me working after pick up, but these moments with my children are fleeting.  I am going to make sure my mom roles dominate my evenings.  If my to-do list is crazy long, then I'll get up EARLIER that day.

*************************

*I'm going to give more GRACE!  God loves us enough to give us who deserve anything BUT-grace on the daily.  He does that because he loves us.  Surely, I'm not the only one but when something happens I'm quick to hold onto my grace a little too tightly...with Tab, my kiddos, friends, neighbors, strangers on the street.  Watch out world, I'm dishing out lots of grace in 2017.  It's my word.

-How I'll WORK IT-I think this scripture, "Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord." 2 Peter 1:2 will be a good reminder that when I think I've given them enough grace I need to give a little more. It's mine in abundance through Christ.  Also, I'm always messing up and wanting or asking for extra grace from my people.  I want to make sure I'm giving it to others abundantly in 2017.

*************************

*I hope I'm not the only one who does this, but sometimes I just get selfish.  I'm focused on MY family, MY chores, MY to-do lists, MY laundry, and...you get the idea.  I'm so focused on things I need to do that I miss out on seeing others, helping others, and blessing others.  In 2017, I'm looking up.  You look up too and maybe we can help each other out?!  :)

-How I'll WORK IT-STOP being selfish!  haha!  No, I kid.  I have to be more intentional daily about my family and friends.  I plan on adding it to my to-do list until it becomes more second nature.


*************************

*HAVE FUN!  I've learned how short life is.  I want to soak up ALL THE MOMENTS!  My family and friends are so important to me.  I want to enjoy each and every moment I get to spend with them.

-How I'll WORK IT-I'll HAVE FUN!  ;)

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I'm so glad you came.  Please join us next month on the 8th of February when we share how we work at keeping our marriages strong.

It's gonna be a fun year.  I'm glad you're here.  XOXO



28 comments:

Holly said...

LOVE the selfish goal- that spoke to me- I think I will be adding this to my goals this year :)

Christin Payne said...

Loved your goals! Especially about Grace and prioritizing your time! And I hear you sister about chips and salsa (I literally laughed out loud :):):)). Happy Wednesday!

Kate Hofer said...

The grace thing is big! I got a bar necklace made that reads "Sing Grace". It was the best/only part of Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing that would fit in the limited character space. "Tune my heart to sing thy grace". So powerful. I mainly got it as a daily reminder to deal with my foster son's birth parents but it totally applies to everyone!

Angela Ellingson said...

These are such great goals!! I need to add them all to my list, ha! I definitely want to be more intentional about looking up and noticing needs around me. I want to create more margin in my time to be able to stop and be a blessing. Happy New Year!

kimm atwood said...

What a fun link up ! For 2017 I'm going to work to be the best me that I can be! Have a great week !

Lauren Boswell said...

Great goals Erika!
I'm loving the grace one, asked for it all day yesterday from my family.
Plus your work/blog schedule ... oh I'm cheering you on big! I have got to get myself to that point.

Heaven's Roses said...

What is the email of the travel agency that you and Shay work at? I am sorry to ask on here but don't know where else to get the information.

I love your goals and I love reading your blog! You truly inspire me to want more and get more out of my day. Thank you for sharing your life! :-)

Heather Nelsen said...

I love this new linkup and wanted to say thanks for helping me sit down and be intentional with my REAL goals for 2017- less about the DOING and more about the BEING- people say all of the time that these mama-to-young-babies years fly by and I want to look back and know that I soaked every last drop out of them. :) Looking forward to linking up in the future months as well! Have a great day, Erika!

Mix and Match Mama said...

I'm so glad we're doing this link up together!! Grace. I love that. I need to work on that too.

Megan @ Letting In The Light Blog said...

Great goals!!! And yes to GRACE! For ourselves, for each other, in every area. Excited about the link up!

http://www.lettinginthelightblog.com

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

Looking up is definitely something I need to do more, too. Like you said, you can get caught up in your own little world so easily! Good luck with all your goals!

Narci said...

Great goals, friend!! I love the one about Grace--so good! Thank you for the fun link up!! Xo

Whitney Pegram said...

Yes to grace & all your goals! Excited to be a part of this link up each month!

Kristi Griedl said...

Love your goals about prioritizing your time and to give lots of grace. Those are things I totally need to work on as well!

Happilyevergriedlscom.wordpress.com

Lizzie Simantz said...

I love all your goals! I agree, I too get so caught up in MY life that I don't see what's going on around, I would like to change that as well.

Deena - Shoes to Shiraz said...

I love being blog-organized...when I'm not it doesn't really feel good posting because it's mostly rushed rambling. Great goals!

brookerichardson said...

I love this post today! It's so inspiring! My 2017 word is Presence! So not just being there with my husband or kids but being present. In order to do that, I'll have my phone in my hands less. Because for me that's the biggest distraction!!! I have several other items I'll try to work on too such as blog once a week, wake up earlier, I have a 365 picture challenge I'm doing, and most importantly more quiet time and prayer throughout the day!!!! Love you friend and love this post!!! I couldn't do life without sweet girlfriends like you!

Roshunda N said...

Love your 2017 goals. I can definitely show more grace.

Laci Murray said...

Great post!!! My friend at work is using Grace as her 2017 goal and now I am reading it again and wondering if the Lord is trying to say something! :) I need to be more intentional with my time after work, perfect goal for me! I am also jotting down one good thing about each day in my notes in my phone. It's helping me find the good in crappy days sometimes.

kelly said...

I hear you loud and clear in the selfish aspect. I am going to join you on working on looking up and looking outside my own little sphere to see others and their needs. It would be great to see future "follow-up" posts on ways you have used different moments to not be selfish. Thank you for sharing and giving us good ideas to emulate!

Megan said...

These are some fabulous goals!! Especially the no blogging at night!! That's me all the time!! Ha!! And love your goal about grace. We have been working through a grace bible study. Sooo good!!

Mary Gray said...

I love how you shared how you are going to make it happen. Those are such great tips and are so much better than just going "on a wing and a prayer!" I'm going to use some of those tips in my own life.

Julie Wlodychak Borm said...

I love this linkup, it's a great way to keep everyone accountable. Your idea for getting up early to get your blogging done is fantastic. I know that the mornings I am up early are the ones I am most productive. You got this lady!

Elaine Welte said...

I cut down my blogging to three days, so I wouldn't be frantically trying to come up with something the night before! And, the grace! So much yes to that!!!

Super Simple Ways said...

Awesome 2017 Goals! I just linked up my goals!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

WHAT A GREAT POST! Love hearing your plans on how you are going to accomplish these!

Happylife40 said...

Well, that should be my resolution: not to procrastinate.... We moved last weekend and didn't pack or prepare ANYTHING till the day of...yeah I'm THAT girl. So moving day came and the mood was a tad stressed out. "A tad" because we both work really well under pressure. It took 17 hours to move everything out because of it, and we didn't have help, because we definitely didn't want to put anyone else through an unprepared move either. It also helped that we are both pretty neat and clean, so it wasn't completely disorganized. However, this week my back is paying for this procrastination job.

Andresen Fam said...

Welp, my intention was to post sooner, but that didn't happen! Being prompt is not one of my goals this year! ;)

http://babyandresen.blogspot.com/2017/01/new-years-resolutions-of-sorts.html