Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Spring Break-Denver

This year for Spring Break we headed to some cooler weather.  Our first stop was DENVER, COLORADO.  {About two months ago, we discovered the kiddos' Spring Break was the same time as a conference Tab was scheduled to attend in Denver.  We decided to compile the two trips and have a last minute little Spring Break getaway.}

I was the "lucky" one who got to sit beside these two.  I'm totally kidding when I say that...these two were great on the flight.


We left Sunday afternoon and arrived just in time for dinner Denver-time.  Our hotel was located right in the heart of downtown.  We walked to Sam's No. 3 to grab a bite.  It was a super casual diner style restaurant that had everything from breakfast to Mexican food.  We later learned it's been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. 

On Monday morning, we headed straight to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.


The space exhibit area was my favorite...all kinds of volunteers were present explaining how different activities worked.


Family selfie outside on the terrace but it was FREEZING!

We watched the I-max movie, Dream Big.  Dream Big was about engineering our world...it was so good!


The 3-D glasses are always a favorite!

Then we finished off the tour with all the animal exhibits and a quick stop in the children's area.


We had the Uber drop us off back at the Hyatt Regency (where we were staying) and we walked to Rock Bottom Brewery for lunch. 

On our way back to the hotel room, we bumped into one of Tab's co-workers who was solo and had been put in a suite.  He insisted we switch him rooms and I wanted to hug his neck!  His room was awesome!

The dining room


Sitting room/living room


Another view of the living room


Master Bedroom


Full Bathroom


It also had a kitchen and half-bath (not pictured).  This worked out so well.  When Tab had meetings, the kiddos and I had plenty of space to lounge around.


Tuesday morning...the kiddos and I were up early.  Our agenda had one thing-The Denver Zoo.

The forecast was gorgeous...perfect day for the zoo!

Our first stop was the baby giraffe!  One of the zookeepers told us while everyone online has been waiting for that New York giraffe to give birth the crew in Denver has welcomed a baby giraffe themselves.  This baby giraffe was the cutest thing.


Almost every animal exhibit had both an indoor/outdoor area where we could see the animals no matter where they were.  That was so nice.  And all of the indoor areas were nice and clean. 


Polar bears were also a hit!




Since it was early in the season and a weekday, none of the daily shows were happening just yet.  {Sidenote:  I LOVE shows...zoo, fair, theme park...give me all the shows!} We walked up just as a zookeeper was feeding a sea lion some fish.  She got him to do all sorts of tricks for us.


My kiddos were so intrigued.




At this point, all of us were starting to melt down...the big kids were hangry, Bowen was tired of walking, and I needed more coffee.  We made a beeline to food.

This kid was refusing a photo so I helped him.  #heswaytoocoolformealready

And if you'd like a pair of sunglasses just like mine, you should check out the Denver Zoo gift shop. :) I forgot mine and the kids voted these the winning pair.


After lunch and a rented stroller, we were ready for the Primates.


Bowen did his very best to be our guide.

A picture of me and my monkeys inside the monkey building.

We grabbed an Uber back to the hotel, got ready for dinner, and head out.  We were walking into another restaurant and another one of Tab's co-workers who lived in Denver happened to walk by.  He stopped us from going in the first restaurant and ushered us to Marlowe's.
 I'd highly recommend the CRISPY BRUSSEL SPROUTS.  They were so good!  I already tried to recreate them since we've been home.  {Totally unsuccessful-but I tried.}




This sums up Bowen...a complete mess!  ;)

The next day we packed up and headed to Vail to get our SKI ON!  Part TWO is coming tomorrow!

30 comments:

Suz Williams said...

Hi Erica,

I love your Blog! My kind of crazy for sure. We are travelling to the USA in 2 weeks from Australia. What are your tips for booking hotels with a family of 5? I'm coming unstuck trying to find rooms that suit without booking interconnecting rooms. What do you do?

Suzanne

Leslie said...

I've heard that Denver is such a cool city! Can't wait to read about tomorrow!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thanks so much, Suzanne. Are your kids older? We were just discussing how we probably have limited time with just one hotel room. I'm not sure where you're traveling but you might want to check into condo rentals if you're having to do two rooms? Just a thought. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Denver was a lot of fun but Vail was my favorite!

Mix and Match Mama said...

I've been waiting for this post all week!! Yay!! I loved the zoo pics so much! What a fun time! And listen, how sweet of that guy to trade rooms with you?! That suite looked gigantic! Can't wait for tomorrow's post!!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

I want to be friends with Tab's co-workers! They sound like lovely people! Looks like the first part of your trip was a hit. Oh, and I lol'd about "Check out the zoo gift shop." HA!

Erika Slaughter said...

Oh girl!! Tell me about it! We were so thankful! His room was amazing!

Erika Slaughter said...

Haha!! I forgot sunglasses and I knew I'd have a head ache if I walked around all day without sunglasses so I found those beauties. :)

Narci said...

Yay!!! Denver looks like so much fun, and I love the pictures from the zoo! Can't wait to hear about the rest! Xo

brookerichardson said...

Um, that room...oh my gosh!!!! How wonderful! Also the baby giraffe is precious!!!! I could of starred at him all day. Loved this whole post!!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Part Two was my favorite!

Erika Slaughter said...

I told Tab after that room I didn't know if I could stay in just a regular room again. He assured me I'd be just fine. Hahahahaha!!

The White Family said...

Hi Suz, We have five and almost always boom at something like a Embassy's Suites. There are two rooms to give you more space. Good luck!

Megan @ Letting In The Light Blog said...

Your zoo sunglasses remind me of the time my mom took the kids to the zoo and realized when they got there that Quinn didn't have any shoes on! So they bought the most hideous pair of sandals from th gift shop. She calls them her "zoo shoes" and she loves those ugly things. Can't wait to read about the rest of the trip!

http://www.lettinginthelightblog.com

Elizabeth Oliveto said...

Looks like such a fun vacation!
Xo, Elizabeth
http://stripesandsolitaires.com

A Gal Named Al said...

What an amazing gift from Tab's co-worker, and how great for your kids to witness that generosity from a friend! Looks like a fun trip!

Megan said...

Wow tab's coworkers are the best!!!! Such a fun trip!

Amanda @ That Inspired Chick said...

Girl! That guy gave you his suite?!! How amazing is that!! That is so "suite"... (see what I did there??). 😜 Can't wait to read about the next part! I've only been to Denver once but it was beautiful!

Dena Kret said...

We live in Denver and you definitely hit up our two favorite kid places ... the zoo and the science museum! So glad you had a great time, we love it here! 😊

Catherine Prell said...

Erika, you look like you're a great mom! I hope you had a wonderful trip. :)

Tara Usher @ Mommy in a Nutshell said...

What a sweet gesture to share rooms! Looks like you guys had a blast.

Kelsey @ The Peacock Roost said...

This trip looks like SO much fun!! Except for the photo of Bowen (I think) climbing on the big fake snake. The thought of that thing literally gave me chills lol! How sweet and thoughtful of his co-worker to switch you all rooms!
Kelsey
www.thepeacockroost.com

Jenny said...

How sweet of him to switch rooms with you guys. And what a fun getaway. And I wouldn't even know how to get an Uber. I've never even seen one. Small town girl problems. ;)

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

What gorgeous accommodations!! I ADORE Denver! It's one of my favorite cities! We went to this place called Cave of the Winds and then another place called Garden of the Gods and both were breathtakingly beautiful. I'm glad that you guys had such a great time!

Perfectly Port said...

So fun. We made a pit stop for the day in Denver after our ski trip to Breckenridge last year! We loved the Denver Zoo except the train made me laugh, it was so tiny and a LONG line ;) HA! That suite is sweet ;) and how nice of Tab's co-worker. xoxo ERIN

Jessica Bahun said...

I grew up in Colorado and now live in SW Missouri. The Denver Zoo and museum were annual field trips for me growing up so it's fun to see pictures of it now. It doesn't appear that much has changed! Can't wait to hear about Vail because that's also where we spent a lot of time skiing in high school and spent every 4th of July there. So fun!!

Jennifer Stillwell said...

Darn, I live in Denver, wish I could of seen you out and about!!

clatk said...

Look at Homewood Suites, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn Suites (with a separate bedroom), Marriot Residence Inn, and Hyatt Place. They all have a separate bedroom and a kitchenette. They also all have free breakfast in the morning. Good luck and have the best time!

Angela Ellingson said...

So fun!! What an incredible suite!!! You "helping" Nixon take a picture with you made me laugh out loud!

Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams said...

Looks like you all had such a great time in Denver! I have never been but it's still on my list :-)That co-worker is such a sweetheart for doing that, how awesome for you guys!! I can't wait to read about Vail.
xo
Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams