Thursday, April 13, 2017

A Weekend Away

This past weekend Tab was helping with an officiating clinic in Little Rock, Arkansas.  We decided to make it a family affair, invited my parents to join us (it's halfway), and called it a little birthday getaway for Ebby Lee.

Tab left on Wednesday but I grabbed the kids out of school early on Friday and we drove up.  Their first request was the indoor pool.  Sigh.  You guys know how I feel about indoor pools.  haha!  #notmyjam  I read my book, drank some coffee, and they swam...it was perfection!

On Saturday morning, my parents, the kids, and I (Tab was teaching all day) headed to the Little Rock Zoo.
This girl was all about the pictures and wasn't afraid to pose in character.


We happened to walk by the elephants right as the zookeeper was working with them.

We got a front row seat to some elephant tricks.


Love this girl so much!

She was a little creeped out by the penguin being SO CLOSE!  I couldn't really blame her.  I felt the same way.

The weather was AMAZING!  After the zoo, we hit up the War Memorial Park-I think that's what it was called?  Little Rock people, this park was great!  They had a splash pad and lots of cool playground equipment for older kids.  My kids were in heaven.

My parents had brought birthday presents for Nixon and Ebby Lee.  Nixon got this frisbee and wanted to throw it THE ENTIRE DAY!

We were big fans of this park!

When Ebby Lee requested cheeseburgers, we stopped for lunch at Big Orange.  I met a sweet reader who came over to introduce herself.  She was so sweet and didn't seem to mind that we looked and smelled like the zoo and the park!  ha!

The fun didn't stop there...last stop for the day was Big Rock Fun Park.  

We played a round of miniature golf.

Bowen was super into it.

He did his foot like this after every swing.  Killed me!  I'm pretty sure in mini golf your swing isn't supposed to be that big, but it was cute.

Nixon was trying his best to WIN and Ebby Lee was trying her best to just NOT LOSE.  hahaha!

I ended the golf game-tied with this cutie!

And then we rode go-carts!  In the middle of the drive, Nixon asked me, "where'd you learn to drive like this, Mom?".  Which in six-year-old Nixon talk translates to, "YOU'RE AWESOME".  I'll take it!

Bowen was ready behind us.  When his ride was over, he asked my mom if he could drive next time.  #no

Then we took a shot in the batting cages.

We ended the fun day out with one more go-cart ride before heading back to the hotel.  We ordered pizza, the kiddos swam some more, and then we called it a night.

We woke up on Sunday singing "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to this girl.  Then we headed straight to Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast.  Tab finished up with the clinic and we started the trek back to McKinney.

Birthday girl requested McAlister's Deli for lunch.

We stopped for gas and I got a text saying my cousin had FINALLY PROPOSED!  We were silly and sent him this picture back with a big CONGRATULATIONS!

We got back to McKinney in time to start ALL THE LAUNDRY!  Mama needed to grocery shop so instead of doing that...I asked Ebby Lee where she'd like to go for dinner.  She asked for Mexican food so we ended the evening with our favorite local Mexican, the Masters ending (SO GOOD) on the television, and then snow cones with the birthday girl.

It was a great weekend away celebrating Miss Ebby Lee!

18 comments:

Leslie said...

What a great getaway for the family! I'm sure Ebby Lee loved that it fell on her birthday!

Bailey Bryant said...

Ebby Lee is a girl after my own heart. I love McAlister's!!!

Mix and Match Mama said...

What a fun weekend!!! You guys packed a lot in to that Saturday!! Happy birthday Ebby Lee!

Elizabeth Oliveto said...

Looks like such a fun weekend in Arkansas!!
Xo, Elizabeth
http://stripesandsolitaires.com

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

Looks like y'all had such a great time!!!!! What a fun little weekend with the fam!

Joe and Britt Hensley said...

What a fun weekend trip!! From the zoo to the park to everything else, you all had a blast!

Narci Dreffs said...

What a perfect weekend with your family! Looks like you had a great time celebrating your girl!! Xo

Alexandra said...

Did you love Big Orange? They used to have a turkey burger with mango chutney that was my jam but they stopped serving it about a year ago and broke my heart.

Elaine Welte said...

So fun!!! There are so many fun things to do in LR now vs when I grew up!

Megan @ Letting In The Light Blog said...

Miniature golf and go karts?!?! That is my boys' perfect day. Looks like a fun weekend!

http://www.lettinginthelightblog.com

Karen Scroope said...

Hey! Where is that black and white sweater from that you are wearing on your Sunday drive home? It looks cozy!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thanks, Karen! It's from Nordstrom but it sold out back in the fall. I like to get cozy on a road trip. :)

Marla Slaughter said...

What a great time! Can't wait to get home and spend some time with the kids! Miss you!❤️

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

Awww what a lovely weekend

Allison said...

Oh my! I wish I would have seen you in Little Rock! We just had my four year old's birthday party at the War Memorial Splash Pad and Park. I hope you had an Arkansas Strawberry Cake Shake at Big Orange.

Olivia at Joyfully Prudent said...

What a fun little trip! You look so cute in all those pics! We're getting our floors done next week and we're thinking of taking the boys to a hotel that night so they can swim in an indoor pool...hopefully Ryan will jump in them with them so I can read also and not get in the water...I feel ya :)

Amanda @ That Inspired Chick said...

Every time I hear about the Little Rock Zoo, I remember going there on a family vacation one year as a kid and my mom sat her purse down in giraffe poop (I have no idea how this happened!) and for like an hour, we kept wondering what stunk so bad! We finally realized what it was! hahaha. Fun weekend!!

That Inspired Chick

Whitney Pegram said...

Glad y'all had so much fun!!