Tuesday, May 2, 2017

New Orleans Wedding Weekend

WAHOO!!

What a weekend we just had in New Orleans, Louisiana.  It was my first visit to the Crescent City and I couldn't wait to get my hands on everything New Orleans has to offer.

I was so excited about a quick getaway with this guy.


We arrived to all kinds of traffic and a CRAZY Uber driver...haha!  Tab told me I'm the bad luck with it comes to the driver.  Anyway, we made it to our hotel.  It was DARLING!  We stayed at the Q and C Hotel Bar New Orleans.  It was a cute little boutique hotel in the French Quarter that happens to be a Marriott property.  


This was our room.


 I loved the exposed brick wall.

This was the check-in desk on one side of the lobby.

And the other side of the lobby housed a little bar and restaurant.

 We quickly changed into rehearsal dinner attire...it was on the back patio of the New Orleans Pharmacy Museum.  It was such a cute little venue with food served New Orleans style-crawfish, jambalaya, and oysters.  I forgot to take a single picture but we had a great night.

The next morning we got up and had breakfast downstairs in that cute lobby.  I must add that you guys gave me a TON of great breakfast recommendations and I want to explain. -1. Our breakfast was free because we had a ton of Marriott points.  2. When I walked by, the breakfast looked really good.  

This was my plate...a latte, scrambled eggs atop cheese grits, and not pictured-bacon.  :)  It was DELICIOUS!!


We had a few hours to kill and decided to just walk around and take it all in.  It was super cloudy when we left but then the sun peeked out...Don't mind my face-I look really tired  (and barely awake) but I just needed sunglasses.  #myeyeswouldntstayopen


We saw all kinds of fun things.  I could have done some MAJOR people watching in this city.

We stopped at the Acme Oyster House for lunch.  Tab (and Meagan) talked me into trying chargrilled oysters and oh my goodness-they were DELICIOUS!   


Then it was WEDDING TIME!

The church was absolutely beautiful but let me tell you this bride stole the show...
Colleen was absolutely stunning.  Isn't she gorgeous?!  So elegant.  She was such a beautiful bride.

I could go on and on but it was a gorgeous ceremony.  

Can you kind of see all the people in the pews?  The bride is from Texas and groom is from Michigan.  This is one loved couple.  Their people showed up! 


Then we boarded buses that took us to a nearby park, where we had a little mingling time while we waited for the Second Line.


 Thanks to the humidity I wore my hair in a curled ponytail and am SO glad I did.  My wedding date was looking so handsome.

The wedding party arrived and so did the brass band.  You guys!  This was SO MUCH FUN!


They brought out these cute little umbrellas for the bride and groom.  The wedding party danced around while the band played.  It was so sweet.


I took this right off the maid of honor's Instagram...but LOOK HOW CUTE!


Then that band led us down the streets of New Orleans to the reception.


We waved our flags, got into the New Orleans spirit, and had a BALL!


 Right after this picture was taken, I asked Tab if we could get married again just so we could have a Second Line.  :)

While the wedding party was taking some pictures I got to hang with the flower girls for a bit.  They were gorgeous and at this moment we were both a little hot.  And I overcompensated with my smile on her behalf.  #whydoidothat

I absolutely love this lady right here...a gorgeous mother of the bride inside and out.

We snuck away with the bride for a quick picture.  Colleen had such a vision for her wedding...getting all their people together to enjoy a city they love and my-oh-my she saw the vision to completion.  We feel so blessed to have moved across the street from this amazing family and for getting to share in their special day.


 Then the D.J. started playing and everyone made it out to the dance floor.

 SO MUCH FUN!!

The party ended just a few minutes after this picture.  The bride and groom are both Notre Dame grads and the fight song had to be heard!  We sent the couple off and then-I accidentally got on the bus headed to Bourbon Street and have never gotten off a vehicle faster.  haha!  My old lady self was headed to BED!  We had SO MUCH FUN celebrating this couple and their families.

The next morning we slept in and woke to really dark skies.  The weather man was calling for storms at any moment.  So we did what anyone would have done....went downstairs and had that same yummy breakfast of eggs, grits, and bacon.  ha!

We had planned on doing some more sight seeing and people watching, but let me tell you-the rain came and it was not playing around.  It was POURING.  We hung out for a bit and then decided to chance it.  We grabbed an Uber and (got DRENCHED) made our way to the World War II Museum which happened to be where all the Jazz Fest-ers and PGA watchers were hanging out while it rained.  ha!


I think I've mentioned before how Tab enjoys ALL THE WORDS at any museum.  This was proof.


We grabbed po' boys at Cafe Maspero (thanks to Meagan) before swimming our way back to the hotel to get ready to pack it up.


After four hours of delayed flights, our flight finally took off and we got home a little after midnight.  What a WEEKEND!

NOLA-we had so much fun!  I didn't realize how much fun a wedding can be in your city, but you guys SHOWED OFF for us this weekend.  I hope one of the Slaughter children feels like a fun destination wedding and I hope they choose YOU for the location.  That Second Line was a wedding guest's dream. I absolutely fell in love with your food-chargrilled oysters were amazing, a shrimp po' boy is my jam, and cheese grits on anything is clearly the way to my heart.  Since we didn't stand in that long line for Cafe Du Monde and the beignets, I guess that means we must make another trip back really soon.  Until next time!  XO

34 comments:

Leslie said...

So much fun! What a cool way to have your wedding remembered!

Www.withlovefromgablog.blogspot.com

Mix and Match Mama said...

Erika! What a beautiful wedding!!! I hope you get married again too so that I can come and be a part of that second line ;).

Erika Slaughter said...

Yes, Leslie!!

Erika Slaughter said...

You'll be a dancing fool in that second line. ;)

Meagan @ The Clanahan Fam said...

Oh yay!!! So glad y'all had such a good time! I'm going to have to look into that hotel next time - looks so cute! And yes, this just means you need another trip back to eat your way through the city ;) Way to try the oysters, sista!!!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thanks to you!! Not sure Tab could have convinced me on his own but those things were good!!

Emily at 'a little bit of Emily' said...

How fun!!! Cheese grits sound so amazing right now - yum! The bride's gown was just gorgeous - love how simple and classic!

Erika Slaughter said...

I know!!! My body isn't understanding why it's not getting cheese grits anymore for breakfast. Haha!

Courtney Johnson said...

Hi Erika! Looks like so much fun and I love the dress you ended up wearing. You should do an updated beauty/skincare post :)

Kristina Briggeman said...

Ha! My husband is the same at museums!

Sheaffer {Pinterest Told Me To} said...

What a great weekend!!!!!! My goodness y'all had a blast! And the bride and the wedding were GORGEOUS!

Narci Dreffs said...

Oh, I love that they you got to go to New Orleans! It really is such a fun city!! Those cheese grits are calling my name, and you looked gorgeous the entire time!!

Elaine Welte said...

You'll have to go back another time! There's so much to see and do and eat!

Megan @ Letting In The Light Blog said...

That second line looked like so much fun! We are headed to NOLA next month for the first time to visit friends. This gets me excited for our trip!

http://www.lettinginthelightblog.com/

Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams said...

The wedding looked so fun! After witnessing the magic in that city earlier this year, I want to attend a wedding there too! I love that peach dress on you, so glad you picked it :-)
xo
Amanda @ Cupcake N Dreams

Lisa said...

Love your earrings. Can you share a link to purchase them?

Bostonbaby said...

Hi Erika - I was wondering if you would mind sharing where those cute tassel earrings are from? Looks like a great wedding!
Thank you!
Elizabeth

Britt Hensley said...

One of my favorite cities to visit. Always fun..& so much people watching! Glad y'all had a great time, and that wedding makes me want to renew our vows now in Nola

Debbie K. said...

The bride was gorgeous, but so were you. That dress on you was beautiful.

Nadine Skinner said...

That long line at Cafe Du Monde is for takeout. If you want a table, you just go up and take or find one. No standing in line necessary!

live compassionately said...

What a fun trip! You look beautiful and it looks like the wedding was a blast! I did want to tell you it looks like your address is visible on the People magazine picture...just in case you want to blur it. :)

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

We've been to NOLA twice and we love it so much! So much culture there! And boo to the storms... don't you hate it when the weather messes up a short trip? I'm just glad y'all were OK. That same line of storms caused tornadoes by the time it got to us in GA. It was scary!

Erika Slaughter said...

Nadine-maybe because we were there on a Saturday during Jazz Fest it was extra busy? There were two lines when we were there-one for takeout and one to be seated. :(

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank you! I just deleted it. :)

Erika Slaughter said...

Oh no! There were some bad storms here in Texas while we were gone too.

Amanda @ That Inspired Chick said...


Finally getting a chance to read the blog today and I love all the pics!! You looked so pretty and so did that gorgeous bride! But those grilled oysters...??!! Meaghan would have to really work hard to convince me to try those!! Ha!

giginpink said...

I love New Orleans! I'm so glad you loved it too! I have to agree, people watching is so much fun there! Maspero's is one of my must eat places! I have a list - LOL! You looked great in that dress, you wore the humidity well! You must go back for beignets.

Olivia at Joyfully Prudent said...

FUN! Now I'm searching on Pinterest how to make those eggs and grits! I love grits! Ryan is the same with ALL THE WORDS at places like that. By the way, I love your hair long and curly like it is in that "sad face" picture.

Unknown said...

Erika!! We were so thrilled to have you and Tab celebrate with us in NOLA. I'm telling you what, you all rocked the dance floor!! Such fun memories! The Slaughters are so special to us and we feel incredibly blessed that ya'll came into our lives. BEST NEIGHBORS EVER!!!!

XOXO

Colleen

Terra Heck said...

Some weddings can be boring and dry but that looks the exact opposite! Looks like it was an amazing time. I would love to be a part of a Second Line.

Marshall Madness said...

My cousin's wife is from New Orleans and they live there now, so we went there for their wedding too. SO MUCH FUN! I had no idea!! This Indiana girl was thrown into a real culture shock- but such a good one! The Second Line through the streets is just a great touch! It was so much fun to be apart of. My cousins actually got married at Jackson Cathedral too! Beautiful!! I'm glad you had a great weekend away!

Julie Magdic said...

OMG I'm in love with that navy top in the last pics...please share where I can get that! :)

Grant Happy said...

"ALL THE WORDS" = my favorite!!!

Megan said...

I expect an invite to yalls second wedding!!!!! It would be a fabulous party!!!!!