Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Entertainment with Erika

It's been a while since I've shared what I've been reading and watching.  This summer I tried to step my reading game up (once my sweet baby started sleeping through the night-prior to that I always chose sleep!).  I've read some good books this summer.  You need to add these to your list!

What I've Read...
I LOVED this one!  This is Elin Hilderbrand's latest book and I definitely recommend it.  It's a super girly, beach read but I was like this...
when it came to this one.  The book is about two identical twin sisters who couldn't be more different.  One has spent most of her time on Martha's Vineyard.  The other has been on Nantucket.  Through a series of events they switch islands, secrets are revealed, and it's GOOD!  I don't want to give too much away-but if you're an Elin fan...read this one!


Jennifer Weiner is a very well known author (I think of In Her Shoes when I hear her name).  This book is all about her own life, own experiences, and how she got where she is today.  The first half of this book was hard for me to get through, but the second half picked up.  If you're a Jennifer Weiner fan, you should give it a try!


In this book, Kate discovers she can change the outcome of her life by her Facebook status.  Anything she writes, becomes true.  (Can you imagine?)  I really enjoyed this book and it makes you think about the picture-perfect lives we see on FB, Instagram, and such...it just doesn't exist.  


Not that the covers of a book really matter, but I think Kristin Higgins has some of the cutest front covers.  

This is what Amazon says, "Letting go of her ex-husband is harder than wedding-dress designer Jenny Tate expected…especially since his new wife wants to be Jenny's new best friend. Needing closure, Jenny trades the Manhattan skyline for her hometown up the Hudson, where she'll start her own business and bask in her sister Rachel's picture-perfect family life…and maybe even find a little romance of her own with Leo, her downstairs neighbor, who's utterly irresistible and annoyingly distant at the same time. 
Rachel's idyllic marriage, however, is imploding after she discovers what looks like her husband's infidelity. She always thought she'd walk away in this situation but now she's wavering, much to Jenny's surprise. Rachel points to their parents' perfect marriage as a shining example of patience and forgiveness; but to protect her sister, Jenny may have to tarnish that memory—and their relationship­—and reveal a family secret she's been keeping since childhood. 
Both Rachel and Jenny will have to come to terms with the past and the present, and find a way to help each other get what they want most of all."

It's a great chick-lit read.


Most Elin Hilderbrand books are super girly.  We can guess the ending after finishing the second chapter.  And the endings are SO good!  Well, this one is different!  This is way more suspenseful than any of her other books.  I loved this one!


In this book, we hear the entire love story of a couple.  It's told from the girl's perspective where in the end she's forced to make a choice between her past and her present.  The story is told very differently than most so it was a good change for me. 


Reading now...
I don't know what Amazon was doing when they recommended this one for me.  I'm not a huge dog person, but let me tell you-this book might change that!  haha!  I'll keep you posted on this one.


Watching...
The Proposal
I forgot how much I love this movie.  I watched it on the flight to L.A. and was reminded how much I love this movie AND Sandra Bullock.

The Blind Side
Isn't this one of the best movies EVER?!

Big Brother 19

Oh my goodness!  This show gets me sucked in quicker than any other reality show.  I'm completely torn this season.  I wasn't a Cody or Jessica fan, but I hate how the other side of the house is bullying them.  (Josh, I'm looking at you.)  And it is really getting under my skin how the majority of the house acts like they're the victims when in actuality or at least in the editing world they sure aren't making it appear that way.  At this point, I don't have any favorites.  I thought Paul last season was great to watch but I'm so eager for some people to rally against him.  WHY is it taking them so long?!

A sweet reader, Dayna, sent this to me this week and I couldn't agree more!!  RIGHT?!
Thank you, Dayna!

Do you guys have a favorite?  I'm ready for a BIG move to happen.  I'm just not sure who it'll be!

If you have any great recommendations, please send them my way.  :)  Have a great day today!  XO

25 comments:

Alexis deZayas said...

I read The Castaways last month too and bought If You Only Knew recently :) She definitely has the best covers! I'm also waiting to borrow The Identicals from a friend :) Great round up!

Laura Darling said...

Love The Blind Side! Going to have to check out some of those books.

Perfectly Port said...

I have not read too many books this summer but I did read The Lucky Few by Heather Avis. Such a good read! I am reading A long Way Home (the book version of the movie Lion). I highly suggest both! I am watching Bachelor in Paradise....why, who knows ;)! xoxo ERIN

mandabee said...

I have ended up downloading every Elin Hilderbrand book based on yours and Shays reviews! Love a good girly read!

Erika Slaughter said...

I read The Lucky Few-SO good! I need to add the other one to my list. Thanks for the recommendation!

Erika Slaughter said...

They're just so good! :)

Erika Slaughter said...

I could watch it over and over!

Erika Slaughter said...

Thank you!!

Lauren Truman said...

I really liked the book Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin.. and they made it into a movie probably almost 7 years ago now. It's with Kate Hudson and other famous people you'd recognize. It's just a mindless movie that would suck you in, if you haven't see it! And, speaking of Kate Hudson (I actually don't LOVE her which is so funny that she's in some of my fav movies) but Bridewars is super, super cute as well. And the corny Miley Cyrus movie before she went a little nutty ;) "The Last Song" where she's dating that hunky boy Liam Hemsworth! Super cute!!!

Narci said...

Great review! Loved seeing The Blind Side on your list! That's one of my favorite movies! :)

I Shal C said...

I just counted and I've read 14 Elin Hilderbrand books! Identicals did not disappoint. I rated all her books (and all my other reads) at https://ishalc611.blogspot.com/p/books

Thomas said...

Please, someone, get rid of Paul!!!

Laura @ Laura Likes Design said...

I still haven't seen Big Brother!

dresselfamily.blogspot.com said...

The proposal is one of my favorite movies. So funny. I had forgotten about the blinds side. I'm gonna watch that with my kiddos.
I needed a good book. . Thanks for the recommendation. . We still have 3 weeks before school is back in

Natalie Clark said...

Can't wait to add these books to my list! I could seriously watch The Proposal over and over and over again!

Chelsea Yoo said...

Oh my goodness. That Big Brother photo has me literally laughing out loud and showing all of my Big Brother obsessed friends! I'm hoping for a big move this week with double eviction happening. Fingers crossed!

Amanda @ That Inspired Chick said...

First off, I'm so glad you liked the Kristan Higgins book!! I think I'm on book 5 of hers now? And that first one is still the best so far. And Big Brother...yes with the bullying!! I'm no fan of Cody either but he hasn't done anything that really warrants being hated so much has he? I can't even remember now! I think they've all forgotten why they hate him and just do it because they think they are supposed to now. Mob mentality. Yes, "Jody" walled themselves off to everyone but it's not like they were going around screaming at people and personally attacking them for no reason. It just doesn't warrant such a huge reaction from the other houseguests! Josh might be my most hated houseguest EVER. They are all on such a power trip from feeling like they are better than Cody.

And they are all completely stupid if they don't try to take Paul out soon. I can't believe he's running that house so easily and no one seems to even notice except Mark! Mark is becoming my favorite right now. :) (Ok I'll just text you later to finish this...hahhahaha.)

Have (ANOTHER!!) great trip!!

That Inspired Chick

Four Points Mom said...

The I'm addicted to reading meme is so on point! The Identicals is on my to-read list and I can't wait to get to it. I've heard such great things!

Emma A said...

I am by no means a "Paul fan", but you can't deny that he is playing the best game!! After all, manipulation is a part of the game :) I hope the houseguests smarten up and get him out this week with the double eviction!!

Lindsay at Lindsay'sSweetWorld said...

I'm reading the identicals now and I'm LOVING it!

Michelle said...

I really don't think the house was bullying Cody and Jessica. I do feel like both sides were wrong. But in the beginning Cody started out so mean right off the bat. Then Jessica started off by calling Alex PaoPao then was so mean to Megan. Right then I just didn't like Cody or Jessica. Jessica also started it last week by asking Josh if he could spell drought. Her asking that caused that huge blowout. Can you tell I'm not a Cody or Jessica fan? Lol!! I do really like this season though. Can't wait to see what happens!!

Jen said...

I need to read more books. That is all on that :) I hate to say it, but Paul needs to go (he's my player) so I would lose my bet. It's time. There's really nothing else to do that would be exciting. If they can get Cody out, then Mark/Elena, now what. We'll see how this all goes down in the next few days!

betterwithbeale.com said...

The family from the Blind Side lives in my town! The main character has spoken at our church. The daughter owns a cute little cookie shop here called Whimsy Cookies 🍪
So needless to say we love the movie too. Great list of books!

Brittany said...

Im going with Mark or Jason!

Terra Heck said...

The Status Of All Things sounds like a good book.
It takes a lot for a movie to make me laugh and for me to consider it a true comedy, but I love "The Proposal".